Ookla Speed Test

SamSpade

I know lots of Internet providers that boast ludicrous speed -

But every time I've done this test on any machine - anywhere - it never, ever approaches the download speeds the provider purports.

So what is the limiting factor? The intervening router? Why is it never that fast?

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Lots of factors. SpeedTest is just the bit rate, the best speed possible by clocked data. ACTUAL data has to be buffered, interpreted, segmented and reconstructed, passed up from hardware to software, and so on. Lots more overhead with real data as opposed to a short package of bits.

SamSpade

Lots of factors. SpeedTest is just the bit rate, the best speed possible by clocked data. ACTUAL data has to be buffered, interpreted, segmented and reconstructed, passed up from hardware to software, and so on. Lots more overhead with real data as opposed to a short package of bits.
Just wondering - Xfinity promises Gigabit speeds - wondering if that even happens.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
1724356553224.png

Clem72

Just wondering - Xfinity promises Gigabit speeds - wondering if that even happens.
Guess first question is how you are connected? Hardwired directly into the router ports, or wireless? If you are connected wireless I don't care if it's wifi7 you are not going to see your best speeds.

And for gigabit speeds you would need gig router ports.

SamSpade

Guess first question is how you are connected? Hardwired directly into the router ports, or wireless? If you are connected wireless I don't care if it's wifi7 you are not going to see your best speeds.

And for gigabit speeds you would need gig router ports.
THIS machine, the one I am typing at, is directly connected to the router - and I get about 100+ Mbps, but that's about it.
Wi-fi throughout the house, oddly enough, is pretty close to that.

So I am facing the limitation of the router itself. Hmmm.

GopherM

Darwin was right
Same here. I pay for AT&T fiber for 500 Mbps and usually get about 200 Mbps or less. It meets my needs but it is not close to the service I pay for. It is not a question of not being close enough to the gateway because I have TP-link repeaters all over the house and one repeater is only about 10 feet from where I sit with my laptop.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
THIS machine, the one I am typing at, is directly connected to the router - and I get about 100+ Mbps, but that's about it.
Wi-fi throughout the house, oddly enough, is pretty close to that.

So I am facing the limitation of the router itself. Hmmm.
What cable are you using from your computer to your router?
I was told that Cat 5 does not go above 100 Mbps.
You need at Cat 5E for anything above 100 or go with Cat 6.

SamSpade

You know what? I have no idea. And I’m gonna be pissed if I learn that I just needed a different cable.

Clem72

Same here. I pay for AT&T fiber for 500 Mbps and usually get about 200 Mbps or less. It meets my needs but it is not close to the service I pay for. It is not a question of not being close enough to the gateway because I have TP-link repeaters all over the house and one repeater is only about 10 feet from where I sit with my laptop.
The more repeaters you have the SLOWER your speeds even though your coverage area is increased. This is because they have to talk to each other as well as your devices, and even if they intelligently select different channels for each repeater you still have a bunch more radios squacking in very close bands which will still cause interference.

It's unlikely they have Cat 5, and Cat 5e does support gigabit, albeit over shorter distances.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

Ok, mine are all Cat6.

No no no. : ) You're so behind on tech. Ya need cat 8 Ethernet cables for super duper high speed downloads. And be sure to update your modem so it can download at speeds of 40gbs+. Also, check the speed of your ethernet card in your computer and what its rated transmission speeds are. You might want to upgrade that.

And also ...... Sometimes Ethernet cards are integrated into motherboards, if that is your case, then you'll have to install a new, (gigabyte speed), ethernet card in one of your computer's expansion slots to realize an increase in speeds. Because you can have all the fastest high speed equipment installed from the cables, and routers, upstream to an updated modem, but if your computer's ethernet card, (non-updated), is basically a smaller diameter data pipe, then there is your speed restriction.

Also, download speeds can be determined by the sending server from which that data is coming. If a server can only send out data, say at 50mbs speeds, then, that's all you're gonna get from any download from that site, slower if there is lots of traffic to such site.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Depends on the length and quality of the cable, a 10ft Belkin or Black box patch cable can support 1gbt el-chepo chinesium cable, not so much

most of the cabling in my house is Cat 5 or 5e

I can get 1gbt from my man cave / office in the back yard 150 to the living room, but there are 2 other Cisco 2960S w/ GB Ports between here and there the longest run is to the house 100 ft of Outdoor Cat6. [ shielded, tough outer jacket support core ]