Opinion wanted: driving.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
There is no shoulder on 235 at Town Creek Drive. It is a travel lane designated for right turn before the next intersection, and as such can be used to merge with traffic on 235 when possible. The previous intersections on 235 of Millstone Landing Rd., Rue Purchase Rd. and Expedition Dr. all have islands that channel you onto the right turn only lane of 235 where you can then merge into the through lanes of 235.

:yeahthat:

I have always used that lane to speed up to merge with traffic. :shrug:

Goldenhawk

It is a travel lane designated for right turn before the next intersection, and as such can be used to merge with traffic on 235 when possible.
I don't believe this is legally accurate. It is NOT a travel lane, and you can be ticketed for driving in that lane when not turning. The fact that the police let it happen unchecked from Town Creek all the way to Rt 4 does NOT mean it's legal - it means they don't enforce it. If you caused an accident by using the turn lane for more than was necessary, that violation could be used as the basis for legal action against you.

pbotz

looking at this on the map in street view it looks like the far right lane is wide open and designed for turn offs into parking lots and so on.
With what i saw i would have gone out into that lane built up my speed to match traffic and merged in. I feel its safer if you merge out in a 2 step process such as turn right into this lane, build speed than merge into the normal right lane of travel safely. In theory your probably supposed to wait and merge out into the right lane only and bypass this turn only type lane.
yes there is a chance of someone merging into that lane to turn or so on however if everyone used turn signals it would help other drivers figure out what your going to do so there is less chance of this occurring.

I understand both sides of this however SOMD has become a driving clown show. People become more impatient the more traffic and slow downs they encounter on daily drives and commutes. It naturally frustrates you and makes you more Horn happy so to speak.

Smith

I don't believe this is legally accurate. It is NOT a travel lane, and you can be ticketed for driving in that lane when not turning. The fact that the police let it happen unchecked from Town Creek all the way to Rt 4 does NOT mean it's legal - it means they don't enforce it. If you caused an accident by using the turn lane for more than was necessary, that violation could be used as the basis for legal action against you.
The legal requirement of the right turn lanes on 235 between the base and Rt. 4 is that you make a right turn before crossing the next intersection. I agree that people that jump in that lane early and stay in it all the way to Rt 4 are in the wrong, and that it is poorly enforced. And any time you cause an accident legal action might be taken against you, no matter what lane it occurs. But the question here is about using that lane as an acceleration lane to merge into traffic. The intersections on 235 of Millstone Landing Rd., Rue Purchase Rd. and Expedition Dr. all have islands that channel you onto the right turn lane of 235, thus requiring you to use the right turn lane as an acceleration lane.

Kinnakeet

if i may ...

I'd wait until the light turned green, then, wait an additional 10 seconds, visibly turning my head looking both ways, before proceeding slowly into the travel lane. Then, absent mod to heavy traffic flow, get up to lane speed at a snails pace.
exactly what i do sometimes ill sit and wait for the light to turn green then slowly get up to speed.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I'm in the right lane of Town Creek Drive intending to turn right onto 235. 235 traffic is between moderate to heavy. I'm waiting for a break in the traffic when a guy behind me (for less than 10 secs) blows his horn. In my rearview, he is hand gesturing a 'right turn' obviously wanting me to turn onto the shoulder lane to 'merge' with the traffic flow. I hesitate to do this because (1) I think it's illegal to use the shoulder as a merge lane and if someone pulls right into me, it will be partially my fault and (2) there is a popular daycare center on the right just a hundred feet or so from the intersection: lots of traffic pulls right onto the shoulder to turn into this business... often with children in the car.

What do you think? Or know? What's lawful, right, correct or safest to do?

I admit to turning in my seat and making multiple offensive finger gestures at the horn-blower (which I regretted doing - not my style) and waiting until an opening in traffic before turning anyway.

Pet peeve, I actually some asshat coming out of the military housing in First Colony get out of his vehicle and knock on my window.
It was not intended as a merge lane, and when people are trying to use it as such it does not work well with the intended use, which is to allow vehicles to get off 235 and turn right.
I won't pull out (right turn) until I see a break in traffic coming. I have on intent of riding the turn lane for a quarter mile to "merge".

So f'em

BernieP

Resident PIA
There is no shoulder on 235 at Town Creek Drive. It is a travel lane designated for right turn before the next intersection...

There are numerous driveways between intersections. I have witnessed several rear end collisions when someone traveling in the right lane did not stop in time for a vehicle turning right.
That's why the signs, both posted and painted on the road, say RIGHT TURNS

Smith

I have witnessed several rear end collisions when someone traveling in the right lane did not stop in time for a vehicle turning right.
This also happens on roads without designated turn lanes.

That's why the signs, both posted and painted on the road, say RIGHT TURNS
The signs read: "Right lane must turn right at signal", which is what I said.

PeoplesElbow

The legal requirement of the right turn lanes on 235 between the base and Rt. 4 is that you make a right turn before crossing the next intersection. I agree that people that jump in that lane early and stay in it all the way to Rt 4 are in the wrong, and that it is poorly enforced. And any time you cause an accident legal action might be taken against you, no matter what lane it occurs. But the question here is about using that lane as an acceleration lane to merge into traffic. The intersections on 235 of Millstone Landing Rd., Rue Purchase Rd. and Expedition Dr. all have islands that channel you onto the right turn lane of 235, thus requiring you to use the right turn lane as an acceleration lane.

This is a real dilemma for people turning right onto rt 4 and that lane is backed up to Walmart. Do I obey the law and squeeze into traffic at the last minute to turn right or do I get in line and break the law.

So glad I don't need to go over the bridge during rush hour.

Goldenhawk

I'll wait to see when I get ticketed and report back.
Okay, I'll report back. I got ticketed for using a shoulder lane when not using it to turn immediately (in another state, but same laws). Our neighborhood has been the subject of at least three State Police enforcements of shoulder driving laws, and many dozens of people were ticketed each of those three days. Your opinion is interesting, but not relevant to the law.

Smith

It's supposed to be a right turn lane, not a merge lane. :shrug:

Except the intersections on 235 of Millstone Landing Rd., Rue Purchase Rd. and Expedition Dr. all have islands that channel you onto the right turn lane of 235, thus requiring you to use the right turn lane as an acceleration lane to merge into traffic.

Smith

Okay, I'll report back. I got ticketed for using a shoulder lane when not using it to turn immediately (in another state, but same laws). Our neighborhood has been the subject of at least three State Police enforcements of shoulder driving laws, and many dozens of people were ticketed each of those three days. Your opinion is interesting, but not relevant to the law.

Shoulder lane?? We are talking about the right turn lane of Rt 235 which has signs posted stating: "Right lane must turn right at signal", not right lane must turn right immediately upon entering right lane.

Shoulder lane?? We are talking about the right turn lane of Rt 235 which has signs posted stating: "Right lane must turn right at signal", not right lane must turn right immediately upon entering right lane.

People can and do turn right into business parking lots and such using these lanes. Again I’m not familiar with the area, I had to look at street view, but there are turnoffs along the lane before the traffic light.

Goldenhawk

People can and do turn right into business parking lots and such using these lanes. Again I’m not familiar with the area, I had to look at street view, but there are turnoffs along the lane before the traffic light.
Surely I'm not the only one to feel nervous turning into the Longhorn/Potbelly/Sweetfrog center, where people riding the 235 NB shoulder lane ASSume you are going to continue flying along at 55 until the turn onto Rt 4...

Okay, at rush hour, I get it - "law" and "practical" don't work well together. But when there's no 1/2 mile line waiting to turn onto Rt 4, I don't enter the turn lane until I'm past the Longhorn.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Surely I'm not the only one to feel nervous turning into the Longhorn/Potbelly/Sweetfrog center, where people riding the 235 NB shoulder lane ASSume you are going to continue flying along at 55 until the turn onto Rt 4... Okay, at rush hour, I get it - "law" and "practical" don't work well together. But when there's no 1/2 mile line waiting to turn onto Rt 4, I don't enter the turn lane until I'm past the Longhorn.

Are you one of those guys that jumps into the right turn lane at the last minute? If so, how rude.

Goldenhawk

Are you one of those guys that jumps into the right turn lane at the last minute? If so, how rude.
Reread my post - as I said, "when there's no 1/2 mile line waiting to turn onto Rt 4, I don't enter the turn lane until I'm past the Longhorn."

Yes, it's rude when there's a long line. It's not strictly legal, but it's how people drive. But when there is NOT a line, it's more dangerous to run that lane, and I wait to enter, even if it looks like I'm making a last-minute entrance from the point of view of those drivers who mindlessly still ride it from Walmart north.