Opinions on what ammounts to Drinking Too Much

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
"Lying to Congress is a federal crime," Sen. Bernie Sanders noted in a letter to Judiciary Committee chairman Charles Grassley. "Kavanaugh's truthfulness with the Senate goes to the very heart of whether he should be confirmed to the court."

[clip]

"Yes, we drank beer," he said. "My friends and I, the boys and girls. Yes, we drank beer. I liked beer. Still like beer. We drank beer. The drinking age, as I noted, was 18, so the seniors were legal, senior year in high school, people were legal to drink, and we — yeah, we drank beer, and I said sometimes — sometimes probably had too many beers, and sometimes other people had too many beers."

Both the Post and the New York Times featured statements by a man named Charles Ludington, who was a classmate of Kavanaugh's at Yale and is now a professor at North Carolina State University. (He has written an academic history of wine.) Ludington said that in college Kavanaugh was "a frequent drinker, and a heavy drinker." Ludington said he had heard Kavanaugh "slur his words" and saw him "staggering from alcohol consumption." (Ludington said he knew that because "I often drank with him.")

"When Brett got drunk, he was often belligerent and aggressive," Ludington continued. "On one of the last occasions I purposely socialized with Brett, I witnessed him respond to a semi-hostile remark, not by defusing the situation, but by throwing his beer in the man's face and starting a fight that ended with one of our mutual friends in jail."

Ludington said he was going to take his tale of a 35-year-old scuffle to the FBI for further investigation, to show that Kavanaugh lied under oath to the Senate. "I can unequivocally say that in denying the possibility that he ever blacked out from drinking, and in downplaying the degree and frequency of his drinking, Brett has not told the truth," Ludington said.

The problem is, there is nothing in Ludington's statement that actually contradicts Kavanaugh's testimony. As noted, Kavanaugh testified that he drank plenty. And Ludington did not say that he, Ludington, ever witnessed Kavanaugh blacked out or passed out from alcohol. It is unclear what, if anything, the FBI would do with such a presentation from Ludington. But such stories are causing great excitement in Democratic Washington at the moment.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...h-fight-democrats-move-goalposts-far-far-away

limblips

PREMO Member
I don't know what constitutes excessive drinking but I will volunteer to be a test subject.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Two Former Classmates Of Brett Kavanaugh Claim He Is ‘Lying’ About Heavy Drinking In Youth

During their exchange, Swisher told Cuomo that Kavanaugh is "lying" about heavy drinking in his youth:

CUOMO: So, you heard me talking to your friend Lynne last night, and her feelings that – she's a Republican, she believes in Kavanagh's pedigree as a jurist, but she heard him say things under oath that she knows not to be true. Do you share her opinion?

SWISHER: I do. I absolutely share her opinion.

CUOMO: How so? What do you know about Brett Kavanaugh that he was not truthful about in the hearing?

SWISHER: Well, I've known Brett since the very beginning of freshman year. He was always one of the beer-drinking boys, and I drank beer with him. I liked beer – there's no problem with drinking beer in college. The problem is lying about it.

He drank heavily; he was a partier. He liked to do beer bongs; he played drinking games. He was a sloppy drunk. He was more interested in impressing the boys than he was in impressing the girls. I never saw him be sexually aggressive, but he definitely was sloppy drunk.

CUOMO: So, in terms of the allegations of a more serious nature, you have nothing on that. You never saw him do anything that you would call wrong or offensive or inappropriate with any women. Good to [note] out of fairness. However, his description of himself as, certainly in high school – I was about my church programs, going to church, studying, being number one, doing my sports teams. Didn't have sex in high school. Didn't have sex for many years after that. Loved beer, but that's it. Nothing to excess. You don't buy it?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Brett Kavanaugh is not accused of drinking beer; he is accused of sexual assault. I'm not sure why his beer drinking has become a focal point. Probably because the sexual assault accusation is falling apart.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Brett Kavanaugh is not accused of drinking beer; he is accused of sexual assault. I'm not sure why his beer drinking has become a focal point. Probably because the sexual assault accusation is falling apart.

Yes CBF accusations are falling apart ...

...... now the Opposition wants to argue The Semantics of what amounts to an OPINION of what constitutes 'Too Much Drinking' or Blacking out vs Beer makes me tired and I go to sleep

that Discussion is WAY Subjective and Open to a lot of interpretation vs he grabbed my breasts

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Why's the paper gotta be "white?"

People have a hard time reading the yellow papers. The Rs and Ls keep getting transposed, making the text difficult to read. But quite funny to read outloud. The black papers don't always show up on time. 15 minutes late is right on time. The brown papers have to be translated before they can be read. Just press the 2 button on your phone to initiate translation processing.

So that's why the default is white.

This_person

Because they can say that he is known (and admits, if they could just get him to admit it, or, he lies about it to cover it up - both work for them) to drink to "black out" levels, and therefore he COULD be the one that Ford accuses and just not remember it. That cloud against certainly would CERTAINLY mean that it is conceivable that he, as a drunk teenage boy, groped a drunk teenage girl and the girl got scared, and therefore he should not sit on the court.

I think it is also possible that Brett actually did have a drinking problem back then, if not now. He was far more agitated by drinking questions than any other thing put before him. Usually when one deflects with "do you like beer?", and "but, I was a GREAT student" when asked about drinking, it is because they are trying to cover up for a drinking problem. I have no knowledge of a drinking problem now, nor is there any accusation from his many years on the Circuit Court or at any other adult time in his life that I can find any accusation that drinking has negatively impacted his professional life, but facts are not the issue here. Liberal-controlled impression is the issue here. Or, was up until Graham called it out so strongly.