Orioles Exhibition Games

homedepot20

How about those Birds , 3-0 !:yahoo: I sure hope this is a sign of the future , not that I will see any games . Time Warner & MASN still haven't resolved their issue on showing games down here in North Carolina :cds:

R

retiredweaxman

Don't get too excited about exhibition games. Remember the Detroit Lions (NFL) went 4-0 in the exhibition season a couple of years ago then went 0-16 in the regular season.

OldHillcrestGuy

Actually I follow both teams, and they both have improved themselves over the winter.
The Nationals went 0-11 to start the exhibition season last year, so 3-0 is great start.
Followed the old Washington Senators way back, and then started watching the O's after Senators moved, unfortunately for the O's, Peter Angeloes bought them and they haven't been good since. It will be a long time before the O's will ever overtake the Yankee's and the Red Sox's and the same can be said about the Nationals, long time before anyone can overtake the Phillies.

OldHillcrestGuy

Call me crazy but the Nats will be competitve this year and will overtake the Phillies in the next couple years.

Im thinking along the same lines, maybe 500 this year but look out 2012 or 2013. They have alot of the right pieces in place, 2nd base, SS and 3rd base, catcher, Jason Werth in the outfield, alot of young guys who hopefully will continue to get better with age and experience.

Hated to see Adam Dunn go but signing Werth has eased that pain.

Last edited:

thurley42

HY;FR
Call me crazy but the Nats will be competitve this year and will overtake the Phillies in the next couple years.

Crazy....

I hope Werth works out for you.....but I think like another Washington team, you way overpaid.....I was hoping for a competitve team around here but after what they did to Strausberg last year....I'm just whatever....

The Orioles are in a no win situation...in the AL East they have to be dang near perfect to do anything.....

Otter

Nothing to see here
Crazy....

I hope Werth works out for you.....but I think like another Washington team, you way overpaid
Agreed, but they needed to show that they would pay, set a precedent. Werth will be an asset in the clubhouse where attitude is very much needed.

I was hoping for a competitve team around here but after what they did to Strausberg last year....I'm just whatever.....

:lol: What did they do to Strausberg last year?? What conspiracy theory you going with??

thurley42

HY;FR
Agreed, but they needed to show that they would pay, set a precedent. Werth will be an asset in the clubhouse where attitude is very much needed.

:lol: What did they do to Strausberg last year?? What conspiracy theory you going with??

It's not a conspiracy.....everyone and their brother said they needed to be careful not to give him too much too early.....now they lost him for how long? Maybe the end of this season? It will be uncertain if he comes back as strong as he was...granted most do, and I really hope he does....but they shouldn't have pitched him as much as they did....

Otter

Nothing to see here
It's not a conspiracy.....everyone and their brother said they needed to be careful not to give him too much too early.....now they lost him for how long? Maybe the end of this season? It will be uncertain if he comes back as strong as he was...granted most do, and I really hope he does....but they shouldn't have pitched him as much as they did....

As much as they did?? He was handled with kid gloves, and prior to the injury, EVERYONE said he was being handled correctly. I never read anywhere that he was being given too much, most of what I read was that he was being babied. I'm not doubting that you read/heard what you wrote, just that I never saw anything close to that.

I've seen a few naysayers come out after the injury, but before the injury all I heard/read was he was being handled perfectly and that his delivery was near perfect, thus no worries bout arm problems (as in Kerry Woods case). Just lately I heard Tommy John saying his mechanics are all wrong, where were all these opinions prior to the injury?? To me, it was just a freak injury, it happened, you fix it and move on. Unlucky and no blame on anyone.

thurley42

HY;FR
As much as they did?? He was handled with kid gloves, and prior to the injury, EVERYONE said he was being handled correctly. I never read anywhere that he was being given too much, most of what I read was that he was being babied. I'm not doubting that you read/heard what you wrote, just that I never saw anything close to that.

I've seen a few naysayers come out after the injury, but before the injury all I heard/read was he was being handled perfectly and that his delivery was near perfect, thus no worries bout arm problems (as in Kerry Woods case). Just lately I heard Tommy John saying his mechanics are all wrong, where were all these opinions prior to the injury?? To me, it was just a freak injury, it happened, you fix it and move on. Unlucky and no blame on anyone.

Everything I read was prior to the season starting.....arms that young need to be handled with kid gloves. People weren't writing about it while he was playing well because that's not what is interesting. I hope for his sake he comes back...

I've been going to Nats games since they came, while I'm not necessarily a fan, I'm a baseball fan, and I enjoy the ease of the trip vice Camden.....it was amazing how the attendance changed for the two months he was pitching...and as fast as it rose it died again with his injury....it's a shame...it's a great ball park....

Otter

Nothing to see here
Everything I read was prior to the season starting.....arms that young need to be handled with kid gloves. People weren't writing about it while he was playing well because that's not what is interesting. I hope for his sake he comes back...

I've been going to Nats games since they came, while I'm not necessarily a fan, I'm a baseball fan, and I enjoy the ease of the trip vice Camden.....it was amazing how the attendance changed for the two months he was pitching...and as fast as it rose it died again with his injury....it's a shame...it's a great ball park....

Between the beginning of last season to late August when the injury occurred, he threw approximately 125 innings split almost evenly between the majors/minors. I'd say thats a pretty soft handling of his intro to the majors.

In today's market, with fans, its pretty much what have you done for me lately. If the Lerner's build it, the fans will come. I grew up a huge baseball fan, killed me when the Senators moved to Texas in 71, slowly warmed to the Orioles and followed them regularly in the 80s/90s until Angelos fired Davey Johnson. I was happy to see the Lerners bring the Expos to DC and contrary to what the media/talking heads say, the Lerners have stuck to their plan. They bought a shell of a team that MLB had run into the ground and slowly/patiently rebuilt the team from the ground up. My thoughts back when they bought them was it would be 2011, 2012 before they were competitive, and I feel they are right on schedule.

donbarzini

The only negative I had heard concerning Strasberg was a couple of retired pitchers on ESPN(One was Sutcliffe I think)mentioned his arm mechanics and predicted Tommy John was in his future. This was NOT a case of overuse, except when you talk to the Monday Morning Quarterbacks(to mix metaphors). Once he went down EVERYONE jumped on that bandwagon.