Our Education System...

bobbyflatliner

New Member
Did not see a thread on this, and am curious about how you feel about the schools, the students, teachers, admins, and overall feeling about particular schools.
 

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
bobbyflatliner said:
Did not see a thread on this, and am curious about how you feel about the schools, the students, teachers, admins, and overall feeling about particular schools.
We should let the oil companies run them!
 
C

Chicagofan

Guest
bobbyflatliner said:
Did not see a thread on this, and am curious about how you feel about the schools, the students, teachers, admins, and overall feeling about particular schools.
:banghead: Personally I don't care for the SMCP system at all. I have had kids in this system for over 20 years and it just keeps getting worse.

I didn't like teachers or school when I had to go and I like it even less now that I have kids.
 

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
The public school system in southern Maryland is terrible. It is PC and not about education. Most teachers don't care about education; they are more interested in getting 3 months off for summer.
 

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Oh. We disliked the public school system so much, we pulled our boys out and home schooled them. Their employers always remark that the have a much better work ethic than most others that work for them and also seem to be self starters and able to figure things out much better.

Since the majority of their "competition" are products of the public school system, I think the comments are a pretty good litmus test on the results of public vs home schooling.
 
D

Dixie

Guest
bobbyflatliner said:
Did not see a thread on this, and am curious about how you feel about the schools, the students, teachers, admins, and overall feeling about particular schools.
I should probably disqualify myself from responding since my son is in special education but if there are any other parents in a similiar situation, this is for you. I was scared silly of sending him to Great Mills as I had only heard horrible things about it. I was delighted to find out his teachers/paraeducators are kind, caring, compassionate, protective individuals, completely devoted to seeing that the children they are entrusted with end up being the very best unique individuals that they can possibly be. They will have many other children like my child under their care but I don't think we will ever have anyone like them again. My child and I are very fortunate to have them in our lives.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
2ndAmendment said:
Oh. We disliked the public school system so much, we pulled our boys out and home schooled them. Their employers always remark that the have a much better work ethic than most others that work for them and also seem to be self starters and able to figure things out much better.

Since the majority of their "competition" are products of the public school system, I think the comments are a pretty good litmus test on the results of public vs home schooling.
I don't blame the schools as much as I blame the parents.
 

vanbells

Pookieboo!!!
2ndAmendment said:
The public school system in southern Maryland is terrible. It is PC and not about education. Most teachers don't care about education; they are more interested in getting 3 months off for summer.
You've got to be kidding me? You think most teachers are bad because of a few bad apples?


kwillia said:
I don't blame the schools as much as I blame the parents.

Troof.
 
Last edited:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
kwillia said:
I don't blame the schools as much as I blame the parents.
:yeahthat: I think it's an individual thing. My children did well in the Calvert County school system, as did my brother's children. My grandkids are now doing well. My niece and nephew are doing great, especially my niece. She has excelled as a student and an athlete.
 

Christy

b*tch rocket
kwillia said:
I don't blame the schools as much as I blame the parents.
I blame both. I don't so much blame the teachers (as a whole) as I do the bureaucracy that binds their hands.

Private school or homeschooling is the only way I'd go anymore.
 

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
vanbells said:
You've got to be kidding me? You think most teachers are bad because of a few bad apples?





Troof.
Troof? What? Are you missing your front teeth?

I cannot speak to every teacher in Southern Maryland, only to those I encountered. When a fifth grade teacher tells me that spelling doesn't count and in 10th grade that it is OK to count on your fingers and a middle school English teacher uses "ax" instead of "ask" and "it do" instead of "it does" and "on accident" instead of "by accident", I see a problem. And when these concerns were brought to the attention of the administration, we were told that they were not going to do any thing about it., I see a problem.

So those of you who think it is the parents problem, thanks. I appreciate that. :smack:
 
2ndAmendment said:
So those of you who think it is the parents problem, thanks. I appreciate that. :smack:
I stand by my statement that the parents are primarily responsible for what a kid accomplishes in school. Our teachers are there to provide the students with the "tools" required to learn, but cannot force them to use those tools. That falls back on the students and the parents. I have one stellar student in the public school system and one that constantly needs his butt kicked... I don't blame the teachers for my not so stellar student just as I don't give them credit for my top of the charts student.
 

vanbells

Pookieboo!!!
2ndAmendment said:
Troof? What? Are you missing your front teeth?
Hahaha. I have all my teeth. I tend not to write formally on forums, so I may seem ghetto. :killingme



2ndAmendment said:
I cannot speak to every teacher in Southern Maryland, only to those I encountered. When a fifth grade teacher tells me that spelling doesn't count and in 10th grade that it is OK to count on your fingers and a middle school English teacher uses "ax" instead of "ask" and "it do" instead of "it does" and "on accident" instead of "by accident", I see a problem. And when these concerns were brought to the attention of the administration, we were told that they were not going to do any thing about it., I see a problem.
That's a different story. Should I ask what school? Anyways, have you contacted the School Board of Board of Education? :yay:
 

bobbyflatliner

New Member
I cannot speak to every teacher in Southern Maryland, only to those I encountered. When a fifth grade teacher tells me that spelling doesn't count and in 10th grade that it is OK to count on your fingers and a middle school English teacher uses "ax" instead of "ask" and "it do" instead of "it does" and "on accident" instead of "by accident", I see a problem. And when these concerns were brought to the attention of the administration, we were told that they were not going to do any thing about it., I see a problem.


that is funny! axe! lol!

This area recruits most teachers from out of state. They are young and ambitious. Most want to make a difference. Then reality sets in. The most important thing, it would seem, is state testing. Sadly 2nds post really rings true. Alot of pressure is put on making the kids feel good, and not learn much. You cannot discipline any kids anymore, because mommy and daddy will get mad and literally threaten lawsuits. New young teachers cannot see the dream they had coming true, not to mention the cost of living, and they leave.
 
bobbyflatliner said:
This area recruits most teachers from out of state. They are young and ambitious. Most want to make a difference. Then reality sets in. The most important thing, it would seem, is state testing. Sadly 2nds post really rings true. Alot of pressure is put on making the kids feel good, and not learn much. You cannot discipline any kids anymore, because mommy and daddy will get mad and literally threaten lawsuits. New young teachers cannot see the dream they had coming true, not to mention the cost of living, and they leave.
Then don't blame the schools, blame the parents who refuse to parent their kids...:shrug:
 

Christy

b*tch rocket
kwillia said:
I stand by my statement that the parents are primarily responsible for what a kid accomplishes in school. Our teachers are there to provide the students with the "tools" required to learn, but cannot force them to use those tools. That falls back on the students and the parents. I have one stellar student in the public school system and one that constantly needs his butt kicked... I don't blame the teachers for my not so stellar student just as I don't give them credit for my top of the charts student.
I blame the school when my kid went from private school to public school and she'd already completed the curriculum for that entire school year and they refused to provide her with more challenging work. I mean what's the point of sending her? Free daycare? :confused:

We pulled her out and put her back in to private school where she belongs.
 

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
cattitude said:
Why would you take that personally?
Because I said that we had so much of a problem with the public schools that we home schooled our boys. The replies were:
kwillia said:
I don't blame the schools as much as I blame the parents.
which was a direct response to my post. With followups of:
vanbells said:
and
cattitude said:
Christy said:
I blame both.
So the responses seem to be an indictment of Sharon and I that we were doing something wrong with our boys or not communicating with the teachers or schools or the school system which is just :bs:. That is why I took it personally.
 
Christy said:
I blame the school when my kid went from private school to public school and she'd already completed the curriculum for that entire school year and they refused to provide her with more challenging work. I mean what's the point of sending her? Free daycare? :confused:

We pulled her out and put her back in to private school where she belongs.
I see you as having a different circumstance then what's being described here... so far, the complaint seems to be students that are not staying to task and a school system that seems to have their hands tied making them stay the course. :shrug:
 
Top