Our First Ride at Greenwell

SerenitStables

:frown:

So, our first time ever riding (except one jumper show) at Greenwell went great for the first hour and half.....then....one of my kids was cantering her horse back towards me and my other friends.....well....he decided that he heard or saw something spooky....he went left, she went right; fell hard on her side then hit her head. Had her helmet on, thank goodness, it did break the clip on it...Mom bought her a new helmet today. She sat under a tree for 20 minutes while we untacked the horses and put them back on the trailer...while we did this, i talked to her....what an amazing conversation we had. We decided to take her to St. Mary's Hospital. She had a concusion(sp??) and amnesia....I stayed with her for 6 hours, then her mom spent the night with her, while she had to stay in the hospital. She came home yesterday. Out of school for 2 days. She is semi back to normal now...she spent the day with us. Thank goodness it wasn't more...

Just wanted to share my first trip to Greenwell except for a show.

We did see a Turkey Buzzard, a hedgehog, a big *** snake and played in the river. We had a blast until she fell off.

Paso----we took Spike with us...he had an amazing time. He is starting to look great and is still picking up weight. We had our first bath today...he was sooooo nasty...not sure when his last bath was. Just wanted to let you know!! :smile: He played in the water...loved the river.

Barncat----we clipped Madhi today...he looks amazing!

Last edited:

covekat

Wow, scary for the little person, glad she had a helmet on! Amnesia, really? Must have been one heck of a convo... Glad she's okay!

Tazgirl

Wow I am so glad she is ok. Shamrock is always fussing at me to wear a helmet. Between Remax and this, maybe I better listen a little more closely..

ShamrockArabs

Tazgirl said:
Wow I am so glad she is ok. Shamrock is always fussing at me to wear a helmet. Between Remax and this, maybe I better listen a little more closely..

That's right...you better listen to me Taz! :wench: It is better to be safe then sorry.

Last edited:
K

Katie

Tazgirl said:

I always wear my helmet. I have seen a couple of REAL bad riding accidents where they didn't have a helmet on. Both on a trail ride, and at a horse show.

M

Mousebaby

Tazgirl said:

Umm, Christopher Reeves! :shrug:

I

Inkpen

Mousebaby said:

Helmets are new and improved..and Chris fell wrong..he did not roll off onto his shoulder..(tuck and roll), he went head first.

fredsaid2

Mousebaby said:

No protection device is fail-safe but they do offer a much higher level of protection than w/o. Riding w/o a helmet is not worth the risk. Most shows and most barns require a helmet when mounted for insurance purposes. Everyone has an 'if but for the helmet' story and most heed the warning! Mr. Reeves was an unfortunate accident where the helmet couldn't protect against what happened. Sometimes that's the case but most wouldn't decide not to wear a helmet because of it.

MorganLover

:huggy: for everyone, i am so glad she was not hurt worse, that is scary though. How did you get her back, did she ride back or were you already done the ride once that happened and were close to the trailer?

SerenitStables

MorganLover said:
:huggy: for everyone, i am so glad she was not hurt worse, that is scary though. How did you get her back, did she ride back or were you already done the ride once that happened and were close to the trailer?

It happened close to the trailer. Thank goodness. She is doing better. She was out at the barn with us today and she spent Friday with us too. No riding for about 2 weeks. She has to be cleared before she rides.

We always wear our helmets, my kids aren't allowed to get on without one and I don't get on without one. My helmet is the only thing that saved my life when I had my bad accident(only broke my shoulder, and broke my helmet, but it could have been my head).

I agree with Fred on the whole thing with Chris Reeves. He couldn't have done anything to help himself out...he was wearing safety gear...it was an accident.

covekat

Poor Christopher Reeves, the only thing that might have saved him was competing in a level for his riding... he had the money to buy an expensive event horse... he was overmatched for his experience.

barncat

Jen I'm so happy to hear she is doing better and I bet her and her parents are very grateful that you stayed with her like you did, what a great person you are.

It was my horse the young girl took the fall off of. He's a saint, but a horse none the less.

Jen I bet he looks great with the hair gone, it'll make grooming much easier.

SerenitStables

barncat said:
Jen I'm so happy to hear she is doing better and I bet her and her parents are very grateful that you stayed with her like you did, what a great person you are.

It was my horse the young girl took the fall off of. He's a saint, but a horse none the less.

Jen I bet he looks great with the hair gone, it'll make grooming much easier.

Thanks!! I am glad someone thinks so.

He is a saint...we had him out today...he was amazing!! Him and I had fun...he thought he was a cross country horse again.

He does look great...I will send you a pic of him.