Our new baby!

R

remaxrealtor

We fell in love with her from the start. Bad hocks from jumping too young, but she's a FANTASTIC trail horse and her personality is really starting to come out. She's going to need a lot of attention and work, but Lord knows we've been there w/ Lou! Rick is CRAZY about her already!

Attachments

• IMG_0560.jpg
    IMG_0560.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 166

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
remaxrealtor said:
We fell in love with her from the start. Bad hocks from jumping too young, but she's a FANTASTIC trail horse and her personality is really starting to come out. She's going to need a lot of attention and work, but Lord knows we've been there w/ Lou! Rick is CRAZY about her already!
I see you got yourself a dalmation. :lol: Very pretty gal!

R

remaxrealtor

appyday said:
That mare was silver and white when I had her...let me find some pics...remember guys the mare I saved from the slaughter house..this is her..
One of the girls at the barn was mentioning yesterday that her spots are getting much darker....is that unusual in apps?
I had her shoed 2 days ago, front only, and it made a big difference.

By the way Appy, how do I get the yellow out of her tail?

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
How old?

remaxrealtor said:
One of the girls at the barn was mentioning yesterday that her spots are getting much darker....is that unusual in apps?

Appy's can change coloring, at least mine did up to 5 years plus from birth. Seems like after every winter coat shed I had something a little bit different from the year before. I have always liked leopards.

Shimmering Lights also works for the yellow.

W

WildHorses

SouthernMdRocks said:
Appy's can change coloring, at least mine did up to 5 years plus from birth. Seems like after every winter coat shed I had something a little bit different from the year before. I have always liked leopards.

Shimmering Lights also works for the yellow.

We have a 26 year old and every year his spots are in different places on his body. :howdy:

R

remaxrealtor

SouthernMdRocks said:
See, something new every year!! :jameo:
Wow, learn something new every day! I also discovered today that she gets a mean sunburn on her snout! I'll have to get some sunscreen, any suggestions on that one?

HorseLady

Painted Spirit
By the way Appy, how do I get the yellow out of her tail?[/QUOTE]

Get laundry blueing and add a few drops to the shampoo - JUST A FEW DROPS!!!!! as you shampoo her tail. Don't let it sit too long, you can easily do it again but it is hard to reverse if you leave it too long (hint, OxyClean!)

fredsaid2

remaxrealtor said:
Wow, learn something new every day! I also discovered today that she gets a mean sunburn on her snout! I'll have to get some sunscreen, any suggestions on that one?

You can also use the Cashel long fly mask, covers down to the end of the nose. Elam's carries them, probably the other tack shops do too.

Labs4Me

remaxrealtor said:

Hey Remax. Congrats on the new mare! She's cute. I used to ride a gray mare that had a nasty yellow tail. I found an article in The Horse Journal with some tips for that very problem. They are a bit time consuming but worked great for me. I'll try to condense the steps.

1. Wash and rinse tail thoroughly w/ gentle human shampoo.
2. Pour white vinegar (which I use for everything these days) right from the bottle onto the tail below the dock where staining is evident. Saturate tail and allow vinegar to sit for 10 minutes.--Put a fly mask on her if she swishes her tail so the vinegar won't get in her eyes.
3. Wash vinegar out thoroughly.
4. Apply Quic Silver full strength and leave in 10 minutes. Rinse thoroughly- and i do mean thoroughly or else the tail will be blue!!
5. Apply a good conditioner for about 5 minutes and then rinse out.

That should work pretty well!

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Labs4Me said:
I have 2 Paints and one is nearly all white so I have major sunburn issues I've learned to deal with over the years. My filly in the photos below is almost all white and has a blue eye which tends to get irritated by the sun. The only thing I've found as far as sunscreens go that works is plain zinc oxide. I've tried everything and with alot of the sunscreens out there my gelding (the filly's full brother whose now sold) use to get pretty bad reactions. The zinc oxide just really seems to work well. The problem for me is that my filly's whole head is basically white so it gets to a point where I wish I could just dunk her whole head in sunscreen! When it really gets hot I just bring them in during the worst part of the day (which they enjoy since they have their fans) and that keeps them out of the sun. The Crusader masks are awesome although both my horses get them off much easier than the typical Farnam-type masks. Another thing to watch for (if this is even an issue for you mare) is their udder. My filly gets some sunburn there in the winter when the sun reflects off of the snow. To think, I had my fingers crossed for a solid colt and I got a white filly!! :lol: Hope this helps!
wow that's a lotta white. my daughter's whelsie's tail is stained on the bottom half so this is great info!!
my roan snowcap gelding is mostly white, with a blue eye. but he doesn't sunburn at all. of course we live in the woods too :lol:

Horselady, what does oxyclean do? i like your idea of putting the stuff right in the shampoo. i'm going to try that first.

HorseLady

Painted Spirit
happyappygirl said:
wow that's a lotta white. my daughter's whelsie's tail is stained on the bottom half so this is great info!!
my roan snowcap gelding is mostly white, with a blue eye. but he doesn't sunburn at all. of course we live in the woods too :lol:

Horselady, what does oxyclean do? i like your idea of putting the stuff right in the shampoo. i'm going to try that first.

The OxyClean comes in handy when you leave on blueing too long!!!! One of the boarders here was trying to get his 50/50 paint sparkling for a parade and went overboard on it. His horse looked like he was ready for the EASTER parade!!!!! It took several baths with peroxide, shampoo, and finally OxyClean to tone down the glow. We all had a good laugh for a while!!

R

remaxrealtor

Labs4Me said:
I have 2 Paints and one is nearly all white so I have major sunburn issues I've learned to deal with over the years. My filly in the photos below is almost all white and has a blue eye which tends to get irritated by the sun. The only thing I've found as far as sunscreens go that works is plain zinc oxide. I've tried everything and with alot of the sunscreens out there my gelding (the filly's full brother whose now sold) use to get pretty bad reactions. The zinc oxide just really seems to work well. The problem for me is that my filly's whole head is basically white so it gets to a point where I wish I could just dunk her whole head in sunscreen! When it really gets hot I just bring them in during the worst part of the day (which they enjoy since they have their fans) and that keeps them out of the sun. The Crusader masks are awesome although both my horses get them off much easier than the typical Farnam-type masks. Another thing to watch for (if this is even an issue for you mare) is their udder. My filly gets some sunburn there in the winter when the sun reflects off of the snow. To think, I had my fingers crossed for a solid colt and I got a white filly!! :lol: Hope this helps!

THANK YOU so much for all the info......beautiful horse!!!!!!!!!!!!

She's cleaner than she was on Fri. :whistle: I worked on ":WHOA" yesterday, a dirty word in her book, finally got it, flat on my back in the sand!!! :killingme She turned around and looked down at me like, "dumb ass"!