Out of touch

MarieB

There have always been people who worked on holidays. If you were a farmer back in the 1800s you absolutely worked on Christmas, Thanksgiving, and every other day. Cows don't milk themselves; livestock does not feed itself. Didn't you read Little House on the Prairie?

It's only in this lazy era that we think we shouldn't have to work on a holiday, on our birthday, when we have the sniffles, when we have our period...

We no longer value work in this country, and that is sad. I refuse to encourage it.

Yeah, like wanting to be home with your family on a holiday means that you are lazy. :whistle:

Families worked together in those times and all came together later on for the celebration. This isn't the 1800's. should we now aspire to third world standards?

As far as the we ####, speak for yourself - maybe we just value work AND family AND community

Ugh

Bay_Kat

Tropical
There have always been people who worked on holidays. If you were a farmer back in the 1800s you absolutely worked on Christmas, Thanksgiving, and every other day. Cows don't milk themselves; livestock does not feed itself. Didn't you read Little House on the Prairie?

It's only in this lazy era that we think we shouldn't have to work on a holiday, on our birthday, when we have the sniffles, when we have our period...

We no longer value work in this country, and that is sad. I refuse to encourage it.

My husband wasn't here for my birthday, he won't be here for Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Year's. I understand, it's his job. Thing is it's not an 8 hour thing, he's not here, I won't see him after he gets off work, that day. I just don't see the big deal of someone having to work on a holiday, it is what it is. I guess because he and I have done it for so many years, we understand that we have to do what we have to do.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
should we now aspire to third world standards?

The third world people are over here taking our jobs because we don't want to work. To them not working on a holiday is like dropping a $100 bill on the ground and not being bothered to stop and pick it up.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
The third world people are over here taking our jobs because we don't want to work. To them not working on a holiday is like dropping a $100 bill on the ground and not being bothered to stop and pick it up.

The bottom line is, sometimes you have to make sacrifices to make it. If it means missing a holiday with the family here and there, then that's what it takes. It's just how it is now.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

:yay:

I overheard a young employee the other day claim that she thinks it's a crime to work on your birthday. Really?! She's brand new in the full time position she has - was a part timer, so she hasn't earned leave yet. Sure, it's nice to be able to take a leave day off ON your birthday, but I can think of worse things in the world than working ON your birthday.

Maybe she should start thinking like a full timer and not a part timer. :rolleyes:

Bann

PREMO Member
My husband wasn't here for my birthday, he won't be here for Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Year's. I understand, it's his job. Thing is it's not an 8 hour thing, he's not here, I won't see him after he gets off work, that day. I just don't see the big deal of someone having to work on a holiday, it is what it is. I guess because he and I have done it for so many years, we understand that we have to do what we have to do.

Thing2 was born two weeks early - daddy was due to ship OUT on his due date and would not be allowed to stay behind. SO, with a 2 week old newborn - the 3 of us said goodbye to daddy for 6 months. The NAVY - it's not just a JOB, it's an adventure!! :yay:

**I never got a day off during that time, either - I was a stay at home mom.

Bann

PREMO Member
The bottom line is, sometimes you have to make sacrifices to make it. If it means missing a holiday with the family here and there, then that's what it takes. It's just how it is now.

Exactly. The fact that the DEMAND (by consumers wishing to buy and employees desiring to work) is there and employers are meeting the demand - is good business. ESPECIALLY in hard, economic times.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
:yay:

I overheard a young employee the other day claim that she thinks it's a crime to work on your birthday. Really?! She's brand new in the full time position she has - was a part timer, so she hasn't earned leave yet. Sure, it's nice to be able to take a leave day off ON your birthday, but I can think of worse things in the world than working ON your birthday.

Maybe she should start thinking like a full timer and not a part timer. :rolleyes:

SMFH...... welcome to the real world honey..... your Bday doesnt mean chit!!! its just another day.... so suck it up buttercup and be EFFIN greatful you have a JOB!!!

:coffee: now thats what should have been said to her

slotpuppy

Ass-hole
SMFH...... welcome to the real world honey..... your Bday doesnt mean chit!!! its just another day.... so suck it up buttercup and be EFFIN greatful you have a JOB!!!

I have to work on my birthday and by the time I get off, it will be too late to go to VA and see the DR Who 50 year special at the movies. :cds: :tantrum: :bawl:

Bay_Kat

Tropical

This is exactly what I told my oldest son when he complained about having to work weekends. :killingme

smilin

BOXER NATION

I worked practically every holiday in my twenties and thirties so if people with families wanted, they could be together. One of my sons is a Marine and I doubt very seriously he will have a comfortable, fun holiday season. My other son has volunteered for every shift at a big box store, so he can have more pocket money in college.
These are choices, and THAT is what makes this country; choices to do what you want, if you want.

MarieB

Third world people are over here working because companies claim they can't find "qualified" people in the US and are then permitted to find these "qualified" people overseas via H-1B visas (Majority from India)

Or in the cases of AT&T years ago, they laid off those "qualified" people and replaced them with "qualified" Indians shortly thereafter.

Bann

PREMO Member
Hmmmm. Makes me think of a wise person who recently said

and your point is?

i wasn't complaining - I was stating a fact. As a FULL TIME stay at home mother who's husband was deployed (and who had no family in the area) there were little breaks much less time off.

BernieP

Resident PIA

yes, there are people who had to work, their jobs were essential. But now we have retailers doing ridiculous hours which don't do #### for sales.
The only stores that attract lines are the stores that offer the hot gadget.
I noticed the line forming Thursday night outside Best Buy,
But how many people will go to K-Mart, Belk, JC Penney, Kohls, etc.
What we have here are retail outlets desperate for sales of cheap chinese made goods taking full advantage of people desperate for work.
I know last year that one store in particular yanked people in in the early morning hours only to send them home after only an couple of hours. Barely enough hours to cover the gas to get there and back.

We also no longer value people

Interesting and timely *bump*! I now have a 20 year old that is in her 3rd year of college and works retail part time. She hates missing family events and concerts and going out on Friday and/or Saturday nights instead of working the 'closing' shift, but she sees it as part of her responsibility when she agreed to take the job. She's missing a family wedding event this Saturday because she was scheduled to work so work she will. I never blinked an eye when she mentions work schedule dictating when she can visit for Christmas or such... and then I just read this thread... doh...:lmao: