Outboard Mechanic

Magnum

Should be Huntin
Can anyone recommend a GOOD Outboard Mechanic???

I took my boat to Goose Bay and they have screwed it up. I have a 98 40 Hp Mercury. It is shutting down like it's something electrical but I know the mechanic I had work on it pulled out all the screws on the 3 carbs to clean them out. Oh and he said he put them back exactly the same as he took them out. I am guessing there is a tool to calibrate the 3 carbs together, and then check the coils to see how they are doing. It takes me 15 min or so just to get it started now, maybe my electric choke is not working.

I have never messed with boat motors before, some things I'm sure I could tinker with and get it right. I have learned my lesson though and would rather have a professional handle it.

Someone mentioned the place in Clements by the Tractor Dealer. Has anyone delat with these guys?

Mikeinsmd

Magnum said:

I took my boat to Goose Bay and they have screwed it up. I have a 98 40 Hp Mercury. It is shutting down like it's something electrical but I know the mechanic I had work on it pulled out all the screws on the 3 carbs to clean them out. Oh and he said he put them back exactly the same as he took them out. I am guessing there is a tool to calibrate the 3 carbs together, and then check the coils to see how they are doing. It takes me 15 min or so just to get it started now, maybe my electric choke is not working.

I have never messed with boat motors before, some things I'm sure I could tinker with and get it right. I have learned my lesson though and would rather have a professional handle it.

Someone mentioned the place in Clements by the Tractor Dealer. Has anyone delat with these guys?
That's Guy Brothers Marine. They don't specialize in Mercury but could get you fixed up.

Magnum

Should be Huntin
The thing is the boat runs ok to the average person. I know how it used to run before I let them touch it. It is now a good 10-15 MPH slower than it was, I have a rough Idle so it's tough to run a trot line. I took it back a after it wasn't running right, the guy just increased my Idle. I called and complained they said bring it back.... Yeah bring it back so it can sit there for another week or two so this guy can screw it up worse.

CheriAnn

Biker Chick
We used to have a Mercury outboard on our boat. We went through the same drama with repairs :drama:

After SEVERAL marine mechanics, we finally had success with Cedar Cove Marina. Other mechanics had us spending thousands of dollars trying new parts here and there, but this mechanic diagnosed our problem, showed us exactly what he was seeing in the motor, which was very serious and very expensive to repair. He advised us it wouldn't be worth the cost because of the age of our motor. That was a few years ago, but I would think the Mercury mechanic still worked there.

usagent

Magnum said:

Sounds like he threw off your floats.

Lioncub

I would think that any work on carbs would require calibration/adjustments.

If your choke is electric you should still be able to hear it engaging.

Did you check things like plugs,cables, fuel mixture?
Just an idea.

Magnum

Should be Huntin
Lioncub said:
I would think that any work on carbs would require calibration/adjustments.

If your choke is electric you should still be able to hear it engaging.

Did you check things like plugs,cables, fuel mixture?
Just an idea.
Exactly why I didn't touch my carbs. I am sure there is some type of gauge that hooks up tp all 3 ands syncs them. As far as the choke I can not hear it doing anything, thats why I asked them to check it. I have the type that you push the key in to choke/prime the motor.

I did check the plugs and cables, those look ok to me. It's a 98 so it's oil injected, I would have to read up I am sure there is an adjustment for that.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
gumby said:
:yeahthat: Andy is one of the best. Guys Bros will hook you up too.

Cather's is your best bet. Do the Guys even touch black motors? I think you would probably get the :eyebrow: from them.

Magnum

Should be Huntin
I called Guy Bros, they don't touch Mercs. I might go talk to the place on 210, I have been hearing they are good, plus it's a little closer to home.