outer banks

janey83

Twenty Something
The nice thing about OBX is the beach town feel. The beaches are much sandier than SOMD beaches, without as many rocks. Waves are better, too.

I go every August with a group of people -- we rent a nice house for a week, everyone has their own room, and it's a lot of fun. Walking distance to the beach, awesome seafood restaurants, and it's just nice to "get away".

Larry Gude

Strung Out
The nice thing about OBX is the beach town feel. The beaches are much sandier than SOMD beaches, without as many rocks. Waves are better, too.

I go every August with a group of people -- we rent a nice house for a week, everyone has their own room, and it's a lot of fun. Walking distance to the beach, awesome seafood restaurants, and it's just nice to "get away".

Some of the beach SUCKS. We stayed in Nags Head one year and the beach was rocky. Lotta little rocks.

godsbutterfly

Free to Fly
:yeahthat: Reading a book on the beach, swimming and walking is all I want to do. We got a beach front house in September with five bedrooms, a jacuzzi on the deck, etc. I'm tickled as hell to go. I love diving into the ocean!

That sounds perfect! No stress & no mess!

Some of the beach SUCKS. We stayed in Nags Head one year and the beach was rocky. Lotta little rocks.

Those "little rocks" are called sand dude.:lol:

The beaches up past Corolla suck because the are so gently sloping. Plus the rocks there turn out to be horse turds.

Bury someone in the sand with only their head showing, put seaweed over the top of their head. Then put a bucket over it (leave a gap for air) Then ask some kid who just arrived and hasn't seen you digging to please bring you the bucket. Video tape results.

Buy a cheap kite. Get it up as far as you can in an offshore breeze and cut the string. The string will drag in the surf and you can watch it head for the open sea.

Go out at night and try to catch a bunch of the ghost crabs. Wait until someone is taking a shower and toss them in. Or put one in your shorts and walk up to a stranger and say "I think I've got the crabs" and pull it out.

rockfish

Beach access on the Outer Banks has been severly restricted. I urge you to visit the following website to show your support for free and open access to our National Park Seashores, before it's too late.

Preserve Beach Access

Today as the United States of America celebrates its 233rd birthday, freedom is at risk in the Cape Hatteras National Seashore Recreational Area on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.

When patriotic Americans reflect on their freedoms today, the residents and visitors of the Cape Hatteras National Seashore Recreational Area will continue to be denied public access to key portions of the most popular area beaches because of a federal court-ordered consent decree.

The Issue
Access to America’s beaches is being threatened by misguided environmental groups who want to prohibit, or severely restrict, the right of people to continue the responsible use of this environment. Generations of people have a heritage of enjoying ocean activities, and sharing these with their children, in a way that has always promoted balance with nature. These traditions include fishing, swimming, surfing, bird watching, beach walking and other reasonable activities which are now at risk.

Instead of living together in harmony with nature, misguided environmental groups are aggressively trying to restrict and limit access to America’s beaches. Their avowed mission is to protect birds, turtles and other wildlife; but their views are based on a distorted, all or nothing position which protects wildlife at the detriment of people. This approach is not supported by science and the principles of responsible conservation held by the mainstream community.

Serious attacks are now being made to severely limit and restrict beach access at the Cape Hatteras National Seashore Recreational Area (CHNSRA). These efforts have hurt the local economy of Dare County, North Carolina and disrupted a way of life for dedicated people with a proven history of caring for the environment.