Outer Range

SamSpade

I think, in general, streaming services have latched onto the notion that for any series, they need to pump out 10+ episodes, with the entire season telling one story. But like a lot of series - and movies - they have a two episode STORY with a 10 episode schedule.

So what happens is, you get either a really drawn out plot - or a lot of filler episodes which attempt to flesh out the stories by giving say, background on characters in the form of flashbacks.

I think what we're likely to see from now on, is shorter series.

My general feeling is that the FIRST episode's biggest plan ought to be to "hook" me as a viewer. If I'm generous and give it three and it still bores the hell out of me, I'm done. It's not as though there aren't seemingly infinite alternatives.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
TV shows used to ' solve ' the problem in a single episode ... but writers could do a better job with the long form story telling

Clem72

TV shows used to ' solve ' the problem in a single episode ... but writers could do a better job with the long form story telling

Why not both? Worked for X-Files, monster of the day + overarching story.

Clem72

Elementary did this as well as Warehouse 13
Those were both good, though I somehow forgot about Elementary after several seasons (maybe they took an extended break) and of course W13 just ended abruptly.

I also really enjoyed Fringe, however I don't think they continued the solve 1 problem per episode format very long.