Overdose victim's obituary: compassionate or enabling?

MiddleGround

The article said the OD victim was an addict pretty much her entire adult life. Someone getting poisoned by eating laced food wouldn't be considered an addict. I'd call them unlucky victim.

Apples & oranges.

It also said she loved nothing more than her son....

The obituary proves differently :coffee:

luvmygdaughters

It also said she loved nothing more than her son....

The obituary proves differently :coffee:

I agree with this too. Unfortunately, addiction is overwhelming, but again, its a choice they made. It would be interesting to see if drug addiction in the younger population has decreased. Its a terrible waste of human life, but one that can be so easily avoided.

glhs837

Power with Control
I do not. What I do have an issue with is the fact that people seem to always compare it to the disease of Cancer.

A more accurate and proportional comparison is to a venerial disease. Sure... it is a disease alright BUT, unlike Cancer... THEY CHOSE TO TAKE THE RISK TO GET THAT DISEASE!!

Nope, veneral disease has a physical cause and cure, get the clap, take that pill, clear it right up. Get the HIV, here's a cocktail. Cause, cure. Viral, bacterial, whatever. There is a choice connection. You could eff junkies all day long and not catch the "disease", thats where it breaks down.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I wonder if by chance she was one of the many, many addicts created by a doctor that over prescribed a medication to an unwitting patient. It should be illegal for prescribing physicians to be connected in any way with profits of drugs that they prescribe, whether it be stocks, or direct kick backs.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I wonder if by chance she was one of the many, many addicts created by a doctor that over prescribed a medication to an unwitting patient. It should be illegal for prescribing physicians to be connected in any way with profits of drugs that they prescribe, whether it be stocks, or direct kick backs.

According to the obit, she voluntarily took her first dose at a party. No doctor to blame in this particular case.

[FONT=&quot]Soon after she tried OxyContin for the first time at a high school party, and so began a relationship with opiates that would dominate the rest of her life.[/FONT]

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
"I have three sons, all addicted to opiates ... "

Good grief - how does that happen?

I don't understand drug abuse. I smoked pot and took speed occasionally when I was a kid, did coke once, but never had a desire to seriously use drugs. I can't imagine doing meth or heroin or something like that. Even when I had depressed days or was stressed or whatever, it never occurred to me to find a dealer.

Seriously, what's the attraction?

NextJen

Raisin cane
Good grief - how does that happen?

I don't understand drug abuse. I smoked pot and took speed occasionally when I was a kid, did coke once, but never had a desire to seriously use drugs. I can't imagine doing meth or heroin or something like that. Even when I had depressed days or was stressed or whatever, it never occurred to me to find a dealer.

Seriously, what's the attraction?

I wonder how much of the drug abuse in young folks is tied up with them not being able to cope in the real world? You know, the generation that was never allowed to lose....the 'everyone gets a participation trophy', let's not hurt their fragile psyche children. They have never been made to deal with losing or coming in second (or last), so they have not learned coping skills. Why wouldn't they turn to drugs to help 'ease their pain' when things don't always go cheery and wonderful?

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I wonder how much of the drug abuse in young folks is tied up with them not being able to cope in the real world? You know, the generation that was never allowed to lose....the 'everyone gets a participation trophy', let's not hurt their fragile psyche children. They have never been made to deal with losing or coming in second (or last), so they have not learned coping skills. Why wouldn't they turn to drugs to help 'ease their pain' when things don't always go cheery and wonderful?

Theres probably a bit to that but I also believe, and i've heard the very words from an addict, they do it to "alleviate boredom."

For the life of me I can't figure out how they're so bored but it's another factor.

I wasted all my time and money on guns, cars and the fairer sex. There wasnt' any remainder for drugs. :lmao:

Hannibal

There's many issues here:

1. Failed parenting: I think the breakdown of the traditional household is part of it. Kids are in flux constantly or given so much latitude these days. Too many parents who feel they need to be their kids friends vs the occasional ####### parent that is needed. Kids don't fear their parents anymore. When I was growing up, a large part of the reason I had no interest in drugs was that I KNEW, without a shadow of a doubt, that A) my parents WOULD find out and B) would whoop the ever-living dogsh!t out of me ....... several times over. It was unacceptable well beyond even being a point of conversation. It just wasn't going to happen. Hell, even as a teen, my folks would occasionally come through my room while I was gone under the premise of "cleaning my pig pit of a room." Come on now .... mom and dad were just checking in to make sure I wasn't hiding something. Invasion of privacy? Maybe - but I lived under their roof. And being a parent, sometimes means pissing your kids off in the interest of their well being.

2. Failed health system - Wifey and I spoke of this yesterday, but growing up (and I'm not old .... at least in my head) and having several various surgeries (albeit relatively minor), pain meds were dished out in extreme moderation. Your instructions were "take Tylenol" and here is a prescription for a few pills of a little something stronger IF you really need it. You were expected to MANAGE your pain and you were to expect to be uncomfortable for a couple/few days. No one wants to feel any discomfort. There IS a difference between uncomfortable and in pain. But even then, you had to make a separate trip to the drug store to obtain these other pills (an inconvenience) ..... and there were enough for a COUPLE of days to tide you over. Now, ANY procedure results in the office given you a bottle of something strong and it's usually for more pills than reasonably needed. People get through these things with numerous leftovers. They are over-prescribed both in need and in volume. That's why so many are available for abuse/sale, etc.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Theres probably a bit to that but I also believe, and i've heard the very words from an addict, they do it to "alleviate boredom."

For the life of me I can't figure out how they're so bored but it's another factor.

I wasted all my time and money on guns, cars and the fairer sex. There wasnt' any remainder for drugs. :lmao:

Alleviate boredom. Huh.

I'll just say that I have been really sick since Sunday and after spending a whole day in the ER, I was prescribed pain meds. Ugh. I do not know how people can get addicted to them. Although it helped numb my pain (morphine didn't even phase it), the sheer loopiness and stupor it left me in just isn't worth it. And that was only for two days. I'm glad (and hope) I don't need them again before I finish healing. I don't understand how people can chase that high.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
1. Failed parenting: I think the breakdown of the traditional household is part of it.

But I personally know people who were good parents and did right by their kids, and at least one of them still became a ####bag. I know families where one kid is a druggie and the other kids are just fine. I just can't default to "it's the parents' fault" because I've personally seen that debunked.

I do, however, think that if all the kids in the family are ####bags, yeah, it's probably the parenting.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I kind of have a desire to take an oxy just to see what it does, but I won't because I'm skeered of it. The strongest pain reliever I've ever taken is codeine when I had my wisdom teeth removed. When I had a surgery they gave me a prescription for Vicodan that I never got filled because Motrin knocked the pain down to a manageable level.

I'll have to do a search, unless there's someone who takes opiates recreationally on here and can tell me what it's like.