Ovi skipping All-Star Game

Hank

my war
General Manager George McPhee said Alex Ovechkin will not participate in the NHL’s All Star game, which is scheduled for later this week in Ottawa.

Ovechkin was suspended for three games by the NHL on Monday for his hit on Pittsburgh’s Zbynek Michalek. The star left wing said he didn’t feel comfortable attending the All-Star game and did not want to be a distraction. McPhee said he supported Ovechkin’s decision to pull out of the All Star game.

“My heart is not there. I got suspended, so why I have to go there?” Ovechkin said. “I love the game, it’s a great event, I love to be there but I’m suspended. I don’t want to be a target. I feel I’m not deserving to be there right now. I got suspended, I have to be suspended, so that’s why I give up my roster [spot].”

Alex Ovechkin won’t attend NHL All-Star Game following suspension - Capitals Insider - The Washington Post

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
Right up front, I have to say that I am not an admirer of Ovechkin (obviously). But, I heard about this earlier today and was impressed by his comment about not deserving to be there (not whether or not it's true, but that he would actually come out & say that). So, I went on a research mission to see what everyone else was saying and came across this...

Alex Ovechkin pulls out of NHL All-Star Game: ‘I got suspended, so why I have to go there?’ | Puck Daddy - Yahoo! Sports

All I have to say is, man, this guy really does not like Ovechkin! Is there some kind of history there that I'm not aware of?

Hank

my war
Right up front, I have to say that I am not an admirer of Ovechkin (obviously). But, I heard about this earlier today and was impressed by his comment about not deserving to be there (not whether or not it's true, but that he would actually come out & say that). So, I went on a research mission to see what everyone else was saying and came across this...

Alex Ovechkin pulls out of NHL All-Star Game: ‘I got suspended, so why I have to go there?’ | Puck Daddy - Yahoo! Sports

All I have to say is, man, this guy really does not like Ovechkin! Is there some kind of history there that I'm not aware of?

:lmao: What a douche! Amateur writing! I love the comment from one of the readers "This is all Tim Thomas' fault"....

Hank

my war
...and actually before Ovi's decision, on the ESPN fan blogs, most hockey fans felt that a suspended player shouldn't be in the All Star Game. Most were biatching and moaning that he was going to participate.

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
They might have a point and I'm not getting into whether or not it was justified because I didn't see that particular segment of the game. It might be for the best. He's not been having the best year so it might mean more to him next year.

I still have to hand it to him for verbalizing that he doesn't think he should be there -- for whatever reason.

Now, having made my opinion on this particular action known, I'm going back to using the familiar form of address around my house and calling the guy "Ovenchicken"...

:roflmao:

:popcorn:

LordStanley

I know nothing
I commend Ovi for taking this stance on his situation. If your suspended, that means no hockey! Which should include the All-Star game and skills competition. Im surprised the NHL would have let him play. Its like rewarding bad behavior...

Then on the other side, Ovi isnt having a good year... So why not let someone who is more deserving than Ovi play!

Sweet 16

^^8^^
I commend Ovi for taking this stance on his situation. If your suspended, that means no hockey! Which should include the All-Star game and skills competition. Im surprised the NHL would have let him play. Its like rewarding bad behavior...

Then on the other side, Ovi isnt having a good year... So why not let someone who is more deserving than Ovi play!

If you look at the standings, neither are some of the others on the All-Star roster. Are they more deserving? I'm not surprised the NHL was going to let Ovie play. They know he is a draw or they wouldn't have invited him. The NHL needs its superstars for the PR that this event generates and with Cindy and others out due to injury, they weren't going to pull him. Hypocrites.