SMCM Ovington '24 Named Fulbright Austria Teaching Assistant

Ovington '24 Named Fulbright Austria Teaching Assistant Chuck Steenburgh June 12, 2024 - 9:41 am
June 12, 2024
Tess Ovington

Tess Ovington '24, a recent graduate from Gaithersburg, Maryland majoring in economics and international languages and cultures, has been named a teaching assistant by Fulbright Austria for the coming year.

"I spent my junior year of high school in Germany and really enjoyed speaking another language every day; with language, there is always more to learn," said Ovington. "While living in Austria, I'm looking forward to refining my language skills, exploring regional dialects, and engaging in cross-cultural dialogue with my students. It's a privilege to have been selected for this opportunity!"

Ovington will be teaching English to Austrian high school students as a U.S Teaching Assistant (USTA), administered by Fulbright Austria in collaboration with the Austrian Federal Ministry of Education, Science, and Research (BMBWF). As a salaried English teacher in the state of Lower Austria, Ovington will spend a year teaching in Melk, a town on the River Danube, an hour west of Vienna. It’s known for the 11th-century Melk Abbey and is also the oldest continuously operating school in present-day Austria.