Oyster Thief Faces Felony Theft Charges in Aquaculture Case

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Wow..that took a fair amount of work.

One offense after another and not yet even 21...he better be going away for a while.

littlelady

God bless the USA
I don't know, between 20 and 40 bushels of oysters, he's probably screwing knotholes by now.

:jet:

:lol:

The theft is bad enough. I don't know a lot about oyster aquaculture, but it is sad the beds were disturbed as in seed bags were found, as well. Someone's hard work disrupted/destroyed is very sad. He should be made an example of because I imagine this occurs more often than we think.

OysterToad

:jet:

:lol:

The theft is bad enough. I don't know a lot about oyster aquaculture, but it is sad the beds were disturbed as in seed bags were found, as well. Someone's hard work disrupted/destroyed is very sad. He should be made an example of because I imagine this occurs more often than we think.

:yay:

3CATSAILOR

Yeah,said that it occurred. But, not unexpected. It goes back to the old, old days of why the DNR police was created in the first place. Back in the day we didn't have a Marine or now known as DNR police. It was created over they oyster wars of many, many years ago. During those days there was plenty of oyster theft even though the oysters were plenty. How, oysters are not as plenty but are marked like crab pots. Therefore, it makes it easier for criminals.

OysterToad

LOL.

Or richer by 20-30 bucks a bushel x 300+, methinks more likely.

He wasn't eating them.........
Market Oysters......1,000 per cage
1 year olds.......5,000 per cage
Less than a year....5,000 to 10,000 per cage

Also, farmed raised oysters do not sell for $35.00...$50.00 per bushel they sell for $.35.....$.40 ea.

Blister

Just curious, can you tell a farm raised oyster from a wild oyster?
Would a commercial buyer know the difference on sight?

OysterToad

Just curious, can you tell a farm raised oyster from a wild oyster?
Would a commercial buyer know the difference on sight?

Yes, there are subtle and obvious differences...you have to know...
Farm raised have thinner shells and fatter meats...that's the most obvious......

Yes, there are subtle and obvious differences...you have to know...
Farm raised have thinner shells and fatter meats...that's the most obvious......

I used to raise farm oysters, and that was an obvious sign: very thin and elongated new growth. No natural agitation or roughing up to wear it off and thicken it.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Also, farmed raised oysters do not sell for $35.00...$50.00 per bushel they sell for $.35.....$.40 ea.

I'm more than well aware of that; I'm close to the industry, you might say. Very. I was assuming, logically, that a) he would have been smart enough to try and simply sell them as tonged and not so stupid as to claim them as farmed and b) would have been selling at bargain prices to move them fast.

But I agree he should be charged for their maximum potential market value.

OysterToad

I'm more than well aware of that; I'm close to the industry, you might say. Very. I was assuming, logically, that a) he would have been smart enough to try and simply sell them as tonged and not so stupid as to claim them as farmed and b) would have been selling at bargain prices to move them fast.

But I agree he should be charged for their maximum potential market value.

I don't think "The world is his oyster".

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Ok, I don't claim to know much about oystering but this sounds like a fair bit of work. This kid has some value.

OysterToad

Ok, I don't claim to know much about oystering but this sounds like a fair bit of work. This kid has some value.

He had previously worked for both of the growers prior......it is a lot of work...kid didn't have a lot of value, otherwise he would of still been working for them.