Oysters

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
I need a bushel of oysters by Thursday evening. Where local (southern St Mary's) is the best place to buy to cook at home?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Thanks! I called and they have some, although pricey at $70 a bushel. Is this the now going rate?? I'm used to $45-$50 a bushel.

Well, Chasey, now that menhaden are cat food instead of rockfish food, rocks are having to eat oysters instead, which means that there are less for humans to eat.

Or something like that....

Hannibal

Just across the bridge in St. Leonard is a farm store (Something Harvest or Bounty .............) if you're willing to drive a few minutes. I've bought from them several times this year. They usually charge $6/dz and will give deals with more. Not sure of pricing on a bushel but I will vouch for their quality. I'm hooked on them.

Roman

Chesapeake's Bounty
Just across the bridge in St. Leonard is a farm store (Something Harvest or Bounty .............) if you're willing to drive a few minutes. I've bought from them several times this year. They usually charge $6/dz and will give deals with more. Not sure of pricing on a bushel but I will vouch for their quality. I'm hooked on them.

Natron0915

I need a bushel of oysters by Thursday evening. Where local (southern St Mary's) is the best place to buy to cook at home?

Have bought several times from Crabknockers in Leonardtown, and been pleased everytime. Not sure what their bushel price is, but I've bought a 1/2 for $40. The quote you received seems about right.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
$70 is typical right now, as the catch is tapering off and the Christmas holiday always gives the price a little bump too. I'm still paying $25/quart for shucked..just ordered 14 quarts for the holidays.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
$70 is typical right now, as the catch is tapering off and the Christmas holiday always gives the price a little bump too. I'm still paying $25/quart for shucked..just ordered 14 quarts for the holidays.
Last year I paid $50 for a bushel Christmas Eve. I've been buying them the same day for a few years. It's hard to believe they've gone up that much in a year.

Just found a place near Ridge, $50 a bushel so we'll go that route.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Last year I paid $50 for a bushel Christmas Eve. I've been buying them the same day for a few years. It's hard to believe they've gone up that much in a year.

I remember not that many years ago when $70 was cheap. It sure is great to see the oysters come back like they have. I still pay $45-$50/bushel locally but that's right off the boat from some local fellas and not "full retail" so you got a good price. mmmmm...oysters.

Bonehead

The last two times we bought quarts they had zero flavor. One quart that we had fried were huge in size but no flavor the other quarts were normal sized but again no flavor. I don't know why. Any guesses ?

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
The last two times we bought quarts they had zero flavor. One quart that we had fried were huge in size but no flavor the other quarts were normal sized but again no flavor. I don't know why. Any guesses ?

They blow them up with fresh water........it's cheating and takes all flavor out .....also quasi illegal.
A lot of the shuckers do that....

cheezgrits

Thought pirate
They blow them up with fresh water........it's cheating and takes all flavor out .....also quasi illegal.
A lot of the shuckers do that....

Huh, didn't know that. That would explain some things. I thought the less "brine" taste of the oysters here I always attributed to different water. (I lived in New Orleans for many years and ate gulf oysters). Sad that they do that.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Huh, didn't know that. That would explain some things. I thought the less "brine" taste of the oysters here I always attributed to different water. (I lived in New Orleans for many years and ate gulf oysters). Sad that they do that.

Wow. Learn about members every day. I didn't know you lived in NOLA. I was born and raised there and went to LSU. Yes, can't top a Louisiana oyster. Oyster po'boys will always be my top fave food. You can't get that authentic sandwich anywhere else, except in NOLA. I miss my hometown. :frown:

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
Do yourself a favor and run over to Ocean City and buy some Chincoteague oysters and clams.............................

It will be well worth the trip, SALTY SALTY SALTY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they will be small and slim not like our slungers we get around here, but salty, flavorful, yummy !!!!