PA to MD moving HELP

PA2MD

Hello

Due to my husband’s job transfer to Calvert Cliffs Nuclear plant we will be moving from central PA to MD. We are used to having a decent amount of shopping near us - malls, grocery stores, target etc - as well as access to numerous hospitals and doctors and great schools. We are unsure of what the best area to move would be. So far we’ve been looking around Lexington park and in st Mary’s county. Also considering some areas in Calvert county.
What are the best areas to live? I know every place has their positive and negatives.. just looking for some insight as we are completely unfamiliar with the area.

thanks!

mitzi

I'd advice against Lexington Park for several reasons. Traffic backups constantly traveling to and from Calvert County. I'd recommend Calvert but I'll let the others take it from here.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Hello

Due to my husband’s job transfer to Calvert Cliffs Nuclear plant we will be moving from central PA to MD. We are used to having a decent amount of shopping near us - malls, grocery stores, target etc - as well as access to numerous hospitals and doctors and great schools. We are unsure of what the best area to move would be. So far we’ve been looking around Lexington park and in st Mary’s county. Also considering some areas in Calvert county.
What are the best areas to live? I know every place has their positive and negatives.. just looking for some insight as we are completely unfamiliar with the area.

thanks!

Calvert County is where you want to be, between Solomons and Prince Frederick. It will be close to work, reasonable to Annapolis, and close enough to basic shopping. St. Mary's will make your husband want to jump off the bridge because rush hour traffic is the worst.

Jeant

My husband worked at CCNP. We lived in California and currently Prince Frederick. Huntingtown schools are best. Hubby will not want to deal with Johnson Bridge in winter, stay on the plant side of Patuxent River. Calvert Health, hospital is in Prince Frederick, but any serious health concerns will require going to DC or Baltimore.

PA2MD

Thank you all so much.. sounds like Calvert is the better choice. 😊
No terribly serious health concerns just eventually will need a good hospital with maternal fetal medicine.
So prince Frederick and Solomons were mentioned.. I assume hungtintown also since the schools there are good? Any other specific towns? I don’t know how much he would be in rush hour because his hours aren’t normal but he definitely wouldn’t want to deal with traffic
We will be coming down to explore the area and hopefully look at some homes next Friday

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Hi! I am pretty nervous to move as silly as that sounds.. I’ve lived here all my life and it sounds like it’ll be really different! 😊

If you live in Calvert somewhere, you'll love it - won't be too much different from home. If you live in Lexington Park you'll wonder what bad thing you did that you're being punished for.

We're water-oriented here - seafood, fishing, boating, crabbing, sunsets over the river/bay - so that will be different. But you'll like it :yay:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Welcome! In Calvert, I've heard that White Sands isn't a very good neighborhood, although close to the plant. Others can chime in on that. I do agree with everyone else, stay in Calvert since he's working over there, the bridge traffic can really suck. Good luck!

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Calvert would be the way to go. Depending on what you're looking for in housing there are nice neighborhoods around the "outskirts" of Prince Frederick, or Huntingtown that are not that far from the CCNP. I agree that White Sands is not a great section at all.

glhs837

Power with Control
Folks, you seem to forget this person will be going counterflow if they live in the Park and drive to Calvert. When I drop my wife in Wildwodd for work in the morning, going south is horrible, but the flow going north into Calver is nothing. Same in the afternoon.

Now, about the Park, you all think of the Park as the 1/2 mile radius around the Library. But I live in the Park. On 4 acres of complete woods with nobody near. The Park is huge. Google Maps shows this, which is only about 50% of the whole place, shown below. So dont shut the Park out.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I don't know about all folks, but I know where the Park is and I know what the traffic flow is in the moring and night. The roads most certainly are more congested over in that area than they are in Calvert. :sshrug:

If the husband is going to be at CCNP, and they live and work in Calvert, have their kids go to Calvert schools - it just keeps it all close by, shorter commutes, more family time, etc. etc.

catlingirl

The schools in Calvert are pretty great. The high schools are top in the nation. And the school district is one of the best in the state. There are plenty of stores here and it’s takes about a half hr to get from one end of the county to the other, if that. It’s a peninsula. Good luck

littlelady

God bless the USA
We lived in Calvert just shy of twenty years. We loved it there! We moved because of family needs. Good luck on your relocation, PA2MD.

Last edited:

nutz

Calvert, but not Huntingtown. I’d stay south of Wilson rd./Dares beach. Brooms Island area maybe. Calvert Memorial Hospital is just north of Prince Frederick. DC and Baltimore do have world class health care ( Children’s, Washington Hospital, Georgetown, etc) and neither one is that far from Calvert.

limblips

PREMO Member
Not mentioned but I wouldn't live in Chesapeake Ranch Estates or "The Ranch Club" as it is called. Some nice homes in there but you may have a dump next door and their HOA is suspect. They also have a petty crime issue. I guess it would be alright to rent in there while looking elsewhere to buy.

Bonehead

I worked at CCNPP for 30 years, live in the southern part of St Mary's. My commute was never bad but I was at work by 0530. I would stay away from St Mary's county because of the bridge required for the commute. I would also avoid the White Sands and Ranch Club communities.