PA to MD moving HELP

Goldenhawk

One thing to keep in mind if you're looking at older houses: asbestos.

Until about 1980, asbestos was common in flooring products. Before 1978, popcorn ceilings and other textured paint often contained it. Bottom line, if you're buying a house built before about 1980, you're likely to encounter asbestos while renovating, so factor that into your renovation costs.

officeguy

One thing to keep in mind if you're looking at older houses: asbestos.

Until about 1980, asbestos was common in flooring products. Before 1978, popcorn ceilings and other textured paint often contained it. Bottom line, if you're buying a house built before about 1980, you're likely to encounter asbestos while renovating, so factor that into your renovation costs.

And prior to 1976: Lead paint.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

:lol: What business is it of yours to question what their price range for a house is? They have reasons for their price range and they asked for references in that range. Just offer the suggestions for that price range - or don't and just move on. :lol:
What business? Same could be said of the OP. What business, of their business, to post an expected price range, and their seeking of locations? Duh .... seeking recommendations, opinion, advise. Sure, they may have the resources for such a purchase. However, currently, the economic landscape is on shaky ground. People's finances can change in a heartbeat. So why not throw out a caveat? A smaller, less expensive house, with less maintenance cost, lower energy usage, lower property taxes, is far better in the long run financially, than a larger more expensive home. Have you seen some of these huge homes lately being built, and past ones as well? Now, look at the roofs on those houses. Many ridge lines, valleys, dormers, angles, drip edges, roof vents, deflectors, flashing. A roof replacement of the size of these homes can easily cost $20-25,000, or more. Electric costs can also easily be doubled due to size, (inside volume of space). So, what is wrong with offering advise on alternatives? The difference over a less expensive smaller home, (in the ranges written about here), compared to a larger more expensive home, could be a spread of up to, what, a savings of about $12,000-$15,000 per year, or more, taking into account principle, interest, insurance and property taxes, (in which electrical usage and other costs is not in the calculation. From what I've seen? There are far too many people that are house poor, around here. Whereas the majority of their income goes to a mortgage payment, new car payments, that leaving little else for other basis needs. There is nothing wrong with, nor encouraging, a person to, live well below their means, raise a family, and still live a conformable life, in a nice home.

Come on though? Really? This is a forum where all ideas are supposed to be welcome. I think you take offence just to take offence. Which kinda sucks since you aren't even the person I was responding. And, I think I've always been nice to you. Pretty sure I have anyway.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

thank you!! :)

thank you!! :)

And you, PA2MD. Dismissing what I'm trying to convey by agreeing with those that would lament my post? A simple opinion, an alternative to current thought, regarding living well under ones mean. Only since you are new, and maybe naive, I'll refrain from my scathing replies. And even though you thanked me for my "recommendations" in another post, you negated, made it worthless, that thank you, by your above posts.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
@PA2MD Here's an update that shows the road and why you don't want to commute over the bridge...

ReadingTheNews

Leonardtown is farther away than it looks. It's a nice town and the schools are pretty good, but clock that drive time to CCNP.

And we're not kidding you - avoid that bridge in your daily commute if you can. It's a single lane each way and people get in wrecks on it all the time, which jacks up the traffic even more. I'm really hoping that one of the St. Leonard homes is perfect for you and you fall madly in love with it - you'll be a lot happier in the long run.

This bears repeating. Many, many times.

ReadingTheNews

@PA2MD Here's an update that shows the road and why you don't want to commute over the bridge...

My husband sat in the traffic backup caused by this accident for an hour and a half. Definitely do not have the bridge as part of your commute.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
If I may ...

What business? Same could be said of the OP. What business, of their business, to post an expected price range, and their seeking of locations? Duh .... seeking recommendations, opinion, advise. Sure, they may have the resources for such a purchase. However, currently, the economic landscape is on shaky ground. People's finances can change in a heartbeat. So why not throw out a caveat? A smaller, less expensive house, with less maintenance cost, lower energy usage, lower property taxes, is far better in the long run financially, than a larger more expensive home. Have you seen some of these huge homes lately being built, and past ones as well? Now, look at the roofs on those houses. Many ridge lines, valleys, dormers, angles, drip edges, roof vents, deflectors, flashing. A roof replacement of the size of these homes can easily cost $20-25,000, or more. Electric costs can also easily be doubled due to size, (inside volume of space). So, what is wrong with offering advise on alternatives? The difference over a less expensive smaller home, (in the ranges written about here), compared to a larger more expensive home, could be a spread of up to, what, a savings of about $12,000-$15,000 per year, or more, taking into account principle, interest, insurance and property taxes, (in which electrical usage and other costs is not in the calculation. From what I've seen? There are far too many people that are house poor, around here. Whereas the majority of their income goes to a mortgage payment, new car payments, that leaving little else for other basis needs. There is nothing wrong with, nor encouraging, a person to, live well below their means, raise a family, and still live a conformable life, in a nice home.

Come on though? Really? This is a forum where all ideas are supposed to be welcome. I think you take offence just to take offence. Which kinda sucks since you aren't even the person I was responding. And, I think I've always been nice to you. Pretty sure I have anyway.

I wasn't being ugly to you at all. I was expressing MY sentiment that PA2MD was asking for a specific information about houses in a specific price range. I'm sure she had a specific reason. I'm sure you mean well, but I didn't really think she was looking for a financial advisor. But that's just my take. :sshrug: Your mileage may vary. :yay:

I didn't take offense to anything you posted, on the contrary. I think you're the one who took offense. I'm sorry you feel it sucks that I replied to you in a public forum. :flowers:

PA2MD

If I may ...

And you, PA2MD. Dismissing what I'm trying to convey by agreeing with those that would lament my post? A simple opinion, an alternative to current thought, regarding living well under ones mean. Only since you are new, and maybe naive, I'll refrain from my scathing replies. And even though you thanked me for my "recommendations" in another post, you negated, made it worthless, that thank you, by your above posts.

If you notice I either like or thank someone for a post. I appreciate everyone’s advice and feedback. I’m not naive. Also the reason a price range is even listed is because someone ASKED ME for it to assist in their recommendations to us. Otherwise I wouldn’t have even mentioned a price range at all.
I came to ask for advice and recommendations in the area and everyone has been so helpful and kind. I am not sure why you are attacking me. But okay.

And just a thought.. how do you know what my means are? Perhaps that budget I gave IS below our means.. I’m not saying one way or another because I think someone’s finances are their business and no one else’s.. however you just assumed what ours are did you not?

PA2MD

I wasn't being ugly to you at all. I was expressing MY sentiment that PA2MD was asking for a specific information about houses in a specific price range. I'm sure she had a specific reason. I'm sure you mean well, but I didn't really think she was looking for a financial advisor. But that's just my take. :sshrug: Your mileage may vary. :yay:

I didn't take offense to anything you posted, on the contrary. I think you're the one who took offense. I'm sorry you feel it sucks that I replied to you in a public forum. :flowers:

thank you! Someone actually asked me for my budget which is the only reason I mentioned it! And you are correct lol we have a financial advisor already 😂😂

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
If you notice I either like or thank someone for a post. I appreciate everyone’s advice and feedback. I’m not naive. Also the reason a price range is even listed is because someone ASKED ME for it to assist in their recommendations to us. Otherwise I wouldn’t have even mentioned a price range at all.
I came to ask for advice and recommendations in the area and everyone has been so helpful and kind. I am not sure why you are attacking me. But okay.

And just a thought.. how do you know what my means are? Perhaps that budget I gave IS below our means.. I’m not saying one way or another because I think someone’s finances are their business and no one else’s.. however you just assumed what ours are did you not?
You are fitting in wonderfully! Pay no mind to Sir Bloviates!

PA2MD

I just want to take a minute to thank everyone for all of their recommendations, suggestions, and advice. We sincerely appreciate it. This is a huge step for us and a bit scary if I am completely honest so this forum has been somewhat of a comfort. I’m glad I have somewhere I can ask questions and get honest feedback.