PAID reviewer

SamSpade

On and off for the past couple years, I've been part of a group that pays you to review products, and your reward is full reimbursement of the cost of the product.

At first, I thought, cool, get stuff for free, and I did it a bit. Until I experienced what we ALL experience, shoddy products with hundreds of great reviews.

Then of course, I noticed all my correspondence went back and forth to - China - and I realize all of the American sounding names were all BS.
So I stopped. MOSTLY because the "free" products weren't anything I wanted, but also because - just didn't want to be part of the problem.

What do you think? Would you be willing to write a good review for a free product - even if it was not all that good, and getting your money back more or less hinged on writing good about it?

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

Nothing but a payola scheme. Just like back in the old radio days where record labels would pay, (bribe), DJ's to play their records. It should be listed as an illegal scheme. Good for you stopping yourself from continued participation. Eventually, if it continues, no review will be seen as an actual unbiased review. Which, in the long run, will only cause people not to trust reviews online at all.

SamSpade

Nothing but a payola scheme. Just like back in the old radio days where record labels would pay, (bribe), DJ's to play their records. It should be listed as an illegal scheme. Good for you stopping yourself from continued participation. Eventually, if it continues, no review will be seen as an actual unbiased review. Which, in the long run, will only cause people not to trust reviews online at all.
I already notice this in Amazon. I don't put a lot of faith in their reviews unless - the good ones have details and they massively outweigh the mediocre or bad ones. Because I've BOUGHT stuff on there and wondered - why do so many people like this? It's really shoddy.

It also helps if I can find reviews ELSEWHERE that support the product. Otherwise I'm pretty cautious.

Clem72

On and off for the past couple years, I've been part of a group that pays you to review products, and your reward is full reimbursement of the cost of the product.

At first, I thought, cool, get stuff for free, and I did it a bit. Until I experienced what we ALL experience, shoddy products with hundreds of great reviews.

Then of course, I noticed all my correspondence went back and forth to - China - and I realize all of the American sounding names were all BS.
So I stopped. MOSTLY because the "free" products weren't anything I wanted, but also because - just didn't want to be part of the problem.

What do you think? Would you be willing to write a good review for a free product - even if it was not all that good, and getting your money back more or less hinged on writing good about it?

I have done this a couple of times. Both times I bought the product first and then they contacted me for a review. Both times I posted an accurate review and was then paid.

In one particular case they came back and offered to send me a new product because I didn't give them a 5-star (on top of reimbursing the cost). They did so, and I put the new item through its paces and then still gave it a 4. And this was a $150 item.

SamSpade

I have done this a couple of times. Both times I bought the product first and then they contacted me for a review. Both times I posted an accurate review and was then paid.

In one particular case they came back and offered to send me a new product because I didn't give them a 5-star (on top of reimbursing the cost). They did so, and I put the new item through its paces and then still gave it a 4. And this was a $150 item.
I have never LIED about my "purchase" but I've never included in my review "oh by the way, a third party gave this to me FREE so I could review it for you". Because of THAT, I'm ok with the fact I got free stuff. So I am unsure, I've no doubt that lots of reviews are crap - far too many poor products get great reviews.

It's just that today, the organization offered a reward for referring NEW people to the group. And the first thing I thought of was, great, now they want you to make even MORE pointless reviews via new reviewers.

Because of “verified purchasers” willing to to give dishonest reviews for profit, I value the average rating for a product that has received thousands of reviews vs those with much less. If I see all or most of the reviews are basic one liners I mentally say ‘F you’ because I figure if someone truly loves a product and takes the time to leave a review, they will take the time to be descriptive.

SamSpade

Because of “verified purchasers” willing to to give dishonest reviews for profit, I value the average rating for a product that has received thousands of reviews vs those with much less. If I see all or most of the reviews are basic one liners I mentally say ‘F you’ because I figure if someone truly loves a product and takes the time to leave a review, they will take the time to be descriptive.
And that's what I look for - realistic reviews with SOME cons, SOME criticism of the product. Especially if they're very long, with pics or video.

Now, that's Amazon.

If I'm on Walmart or Lowe's, I'm not sure I trust the review at all, since they're usually - "yep, does what it's supposed to" which means nothing to me.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Not for a free product but I'd do it for a ton of money - like "buy your integrity and honesty" money. Enough money that I'd only have to do it once and be set for life. That kind of money.

Everyone is for sale. Now you're haggling over price. Some people can be bought for a free bottle of shampoo; some are a little pricier.

OTOH people are stupid and you can't tell them anything. My best friend in the world or my family member would ask my opinion on something and I'd tell them it's crap, but if Ariana Grande or Harry Styles was paid to say it was amazing that's who they'd listen to. They'd be like, "Well Harry and Ariana say it's great and they're more important than you, so I'm buying a case!" If TV says it's good, people will buy it.

So you might as well get a free product. 🤷‍♀️

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Never gets old... 😂

My personal favorite:

"Be sure to also buy a tub of Oxyclean with this to get the blood and diarrhea stains out of your underwear, clothes, furniture, pets, loved ones, ceiling fans."

:roflmao:

SamSpade

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Received an email to win a free Keurig of I take the survey. No thank you.

If you have always dreamed of owning a coffee machine but just can't bring yourself to buy one, this is for you.
To celebrate Target's anniversary, they are giving out a Keurig Coffee Machine and all you have to do is complete a short survey.
Whether you are a coffee enthusiast or just looking to make coffee the easy way, you shouldn't miss out on this opportunity.
Complete our short survey and claim your coffee machine today.

SamSpade

Received an email to win a free Keurig of I take the survey. No thank you.
Because - don't want to take the survey - or don't want a Keurig?
I actually have several, but I do different things with them - one has a regular coffee maker portion and I have my own "fill your own" K-Cups.
Wife and daughter brew their own as a component to their iced coffee concoctions they make later.

But to be honest, most of the time, I use the cheap sugary flavored ones and add a good instant to it, to make sure it tastes like coffee.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I always wonder about the ones that start with "I usually don't write reviews but ...." and it continues with rave reviews about the cheap-looking/mediocre looking item as if it somehow changed their life.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Because - don't want to take the survey - or don't want a Keurig?
I actually have several, but I do different things with them - one has a regular coffee maker portion and I have my own "fill your own" K-Cups.
Wife and daughter brew their own as a component to their iced coffee concoctions they make later.

But to be honest, most of the time, I use the cheap sugary flavored ones and add a good instant to it, to make sure it tastes like coffee.
Don't want or need.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !

Remember when banks would give free toasters when you opened a new bank account?
Speaking of toasters .... I need a new toaster because the $9.99 2-slice model we bought is crap! They want $40 for a decent 4-slice toaster though OMG.