Painting Aluminum Siding

C

czygvtwkr

Has anyone painted their aluminum siding?

Are you pleased with your results?

Pandora

czygvtwkr said:

I disagree with the “cheap ass” part fishin. I painted the aluminum siding on the townhouse I owned, because, replacing it with vinyl would have made it stick out like a pink elephant. Nobody else in the neighborhood had just replaced their aluminum siding.

And secondly, it wasn’t worth the cost investment for me to replace it in a time that people were losing their ass on selling their houses. I had it professionally painted at just under $1,000 (1994). They painted the siding, shutters, all trim, iron rod rails going up to the front door and the front door. Replacing that same aluminum siding with vinyl would have been $5000-$6000 or more, that didn’t include anything BUT the replacement of the siding, meaning no shutters. I had 12 windows in my townhouse that had shutters.
Had the house been 1-story, I would have replaced the siding myself but this girl doesn't climb latters past the 1-story.

czygvtwkr,

I was very pleased with the results and so were passer bys that stopped in to comment on how incredible “just painting” the aluminum siding looked as far as curb appeal.

This is the problem you run into with painters :rolleyes: and I am sorry if I offend those that are not this way, but most painters are heavy drinkers, or at least this was something I noticed back then. So find a painter that has been around awhile. Also, make sure you are well versed in what type of paint they are going to be putting on your house and by all means, make sure they use a good primer. Primer is very important in the fact it will keep your paint from chipping.

I had a primer coat and 2 coats of paint applied. I just went by that house not too long ago, so even 12 years later, the only "chipping" I noticed was on a shutter in the front, everything else held up very well.

Last edited:

Pete

Repete
czygvtwkr said:

Yes, vinyl on my house would cost $10K so I opted to paint it to put off that bill for a few years.

First I scrubbed it with bleach and detergent with a long handled car washing brush to loosen the dirt, then power washed it. I used inexpensive exterior latex because I didn't expect it to last more than 5 years.

Used a Wagoner power painter and it still looks good 2 years later. Every fall I power wash it.

C

czygvtwkr

Thanks

Ive never had much luck with the Wagner Power Painter but I have a large aircompressor and a paint sprayer that should work good.