Palin Backed Abstinence-only Education

Nonno

Habari Na Mijeldi
Palin backed abstinence-only education - First Read - msnbc.com

From NBC's Katie Primm and Mark Murray
By way, as has been pointed out, Palin backed abstinence-only education during her 2006 gubernatorial race. In an Eagle Forum Alaska questionnaire, Palin gave this response to the following question:
Will you support funding for abstinence-until-marriage education instead of for explicit sex-education programs, school-based clinics, and the distribution of contraceptives in schools?
Palin: Yes, the explicit sex-ed programs will not find my support.
*** UPDATE *** NBC's Abby Livingston adds that a McCain spokesperson in May 2007 said the Arizona Republican supported abstinence-only education, too. "Sen. McCain believes the correct policy for educating young children on this subject is to promote abstinence as the only safe and responsible alternative. To do otherwise is to send a mixed signal to children that, on the one hand they should not be sexually active, but on the other here is the way to go about it. As any parent knows, ambiguity and equivocation leads to problems when it comes to teaching children right from wrong. Sen. McCain believes that there are many negative forces in today’s society that promote irresponsible and dangerous behavior to our children. The public education system should not join this chorus of moral equivocation and ambiguity.”

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Will you support funding for abstinence-until-marriage education instead of for explicit sex-education programs, school-based clinics, and the distribution of contraceptives in schools?

Palin: Yes, the explicit sex-ed programs will not find my support.

Why on earth would ANYONE support explicit sex-ed programs or schools distributing birth control?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Because some kids won't learn about it at home?

Do you really want your kid learning how to have oral and anal sex from some teacher?

Really?

Because that's what they're teaching them in these explicit sex-ed programs.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Do you really want your kid learning how to have oral and anal sex from some teacher?
That's funny because I don't remember that. I don't even remember discussing anything related to 'oral' or 'anal'.

We learned about safe sex, diseases, the male and female body parts and our health.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We learned about safe sex, diseases, the male and female body parts and our health.

Basic biology - that's what we had. But you read story after story about what some of these schools consider appropriate sex-ed and it's scary. Our "safe sex" explored different birth control methods, but no condom on the banana tricks.

camily

Peace

Really?

Because that's what they're teaching them in these explicit sex-ed programs.

I hadn't heard of teaching oral sex to kids. Linkie to a factual article? I'd like to read up on it.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Basic biology - that's what we had. But you read story after story about what some of these schools consider appropriate sex-ed and it's scary. Our "safe sex" explored different birth control methods, but no condom on the banana tricks.
:lmao:

I don't know what they teach in San Fran or in the Village of NYC but at Leonardtown High School they didn't go that far.

If they did teach that I would have a problem with it...

...unless I was in the class learning too.:jet:

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
Poor Nono

Poor Nono. Stopped a couple seconds to lick his nadz and lost control of the thread to a bunch of logical, fact-based women.:lmao::lmao::lmao:

(and the Chief) :howdy:

puggymom

I am conflicted on this whole sex ed in school thing. I mean on one hand I do not want my kids being taught this abstinence only nonsense and I plan on teaching them to be responsible and respectful of themselves and about waiting but also the importance of BC especially condoms. Yes teen pregnancy is a serious issue but I think a minor one in comparison to STDs.
But on the other hand how many parents are going to be responsible AND realistic when it comes to premarital sex?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
But on the other hand how many parents are going to be responsible AND realistic when it comes to premarital sex?

That is not your call to make. I have no idea what you teach your kids about sex, and I may or may not approve of it. Do you want *me* deciding what is best for *your* children regarding that topic?

If not, then you cannot be the judge of what other people choose to talk or not talk about with their kids.

puggymom

That is not your call to make. I have no idea what you teach your kids about sex, and I may or may not approve of it. Do you want *me* deciding what is best for *your* children regarding that topic?

If not, then you cannot be the judge of what other people choose to talk or not talk about with their kids.
Actually I DO agree with you. That is just how I justifiy sex ed being taught in schools to begin with. I do not think it should be...period. Other than the basic biology stuff.

Last edited:

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits

That statement is right on the money. I have control over how I raise my children, not the government. We don't need indoctrinated clones (of any variety) coming out of the educational environment. Schools are not, imo, supposed to be factories manufacturing identical widgets.