Pallets for Projects

SamSpade

I've seen mounds of pallets behind Lowes. If you needed pallets to actually MAKE something nice, would you start THERE, or is there another place that gets rid of higher quality stuff? Planning to make furniture out of pallets - really don't want to make crap.

CPUSA

I've seen mounds of pallets behind Lowes. If you needed pallets to actually MAKE something nice, would you start THERE, or is there another place that gets rid of higher quality stuff? Planning to make furniture out of pallets - really don't want to make crap.
You're making furniture out of pallets...but don't want to make CRAP?
Do you see the oxymoron here?

SamSpade

Thanks. This is for an outdoor playground. I see that pallets are a little harder to get than I previously thought.

wharf rat

Smilin on a cloudy day
West Marine in Solomon's usually has them.
Generally pretty clean/newer. I always asked but have never been told no.

PeoplesElbow

I had the bright idea of pallet wood once upon a time, turned out to be a waste of time and a lot of effort. Now I just use good tropical wood for outdoor stuff and it lasts forever. Trying to save a couple bucks made me dick up a my shelix planner head and I had to replace quite a few of the inserts due to hidden staples in the wood.

www.advantagelumber.com

SamSpade

I had the bright idea of pallet wood once upon a time, turned out to be a waste of time and a lot of effort. Now I just use good tropical wood for outdoor stuff and it lasts forever. Trying to save a couple bucks made me dick up a my shelix planner head and I had to replace quite a few of the inserts due to hidden staples in the wood.

www.advantagelumber.com
Kind of leaning that way also. I thought I could find good ones to make something good, but it seems the ones I'm likely to GET will be full of staples, broken pieces and nails. So yeah it could be done, but in the long run, probably better to just find good lumber.

Where DO you find stuff, locally, that isn't just pine or what have you?

PeoplesElbow

Kind of leaning that way also. I thought I could find good ones to make something good, but it seems the ones I'm likely to GET will be full of staples, broken pieces and nails. So yeah it could be done, but in the long run, probably better to just find good lumber.

Where DO you find stuff, locally, that isn't just pine or what have you?
Try this https://m.facebook.com/marylandselecthardwoods

I just got some extra stuff from advantage lumber with my deckwood when it was delivered.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
coffee.jpg

SamSpade

I saw a sign for free ones at that furniture store between VFW and Aldi.
I think I didn't realize that FREE pallets were going to be the worst kind of stuff available. Hitherto I'd seen tons of DIY projects building all kinds of great stuff, from pallets. Just Google it - some of the stuff looks great - it just hinges on not getting splintered, staple-filled, boogered and rotted pieces of crap.

Years ago, I had a similar plan for a cable spool used in construction, because I'd seen a DIY plan for a table. Those spools are HUGE. Any table I would have made would have filled the room.

phreddyp

I think I didn't realize that FREE pallets were going to be the worst kind of stuff available. Hitherto I'd seen tons of DIY projects building all kinds of great stuff, from pallets. Just Google it - some of the stuff looks great - it just hinges on not getting splintered, staple-filled, boogered and rotted pieces of crap.

Years ago, I had a similar plan for a cable spool used in construction, because I'd seen a DIY plan for a table. Those spools are HUGE. Any table I would have made would have filled the room.
They make smaller ones, look up Rexel electrical supply house in your area they can hook you up.