paprika?

ponyhunter02

i own a black pony, and because im anal about fading, she is on the supplment called "black as knight".

well the supplment works...really well.
but i read in the USEF rule book that paprika, a spice use in the supplment is illegal?!?!?!
i sent an email to to the cheval company, and they said it hasent come up in any drug tests that have been done on random horses...

i just dont see why this common spice is illegal?!?!
can anyone fill me in?

Robin

you might have to contact USEF to find out. It might pop a positive on the drug test, perhaps like poppy seed does for human. keep us informed 1st I have heard this one, they have a reason....

MMDad

Lem Putt
Paprika (a member of the pepper family) may naturally contain a low level of Capsaicin, a substance that is banned by USEF for use in competition.

smoothmarine187

ponyhunter02 said:
i own a black pony, and because im anal about fading, she is on the supplment called "black as knight".

well the supplment works...really well.
but i read in the USEF rule book that paprika, a spice use in the supplment is illegal?!?!?!
i sent an email to to the cheval company, and they said it hasent come up in any drug tests that have been done on random horses...

i just dont see why this common spice is illegal?!?!
can anyone fill me in?

Send a PM to "Juggy" he uses that stuff all the time.

fredsaid2

HorseTech offers a similar product. Here's what they have to say about the ingredient paprika...

"Paprika (a member of the pepper family) may naturally contain a low level of Capsaicin, a substance that is banned by USEF for use in competition. Please be advised, and use discretion, when using Bläckenall (or any product containing Paprika) in competition horses. While we have never had a report of a positive test as the result of or Bläckenall , or any commercially available product containing paprika, we want to be certain that you are informed of the fact that paprika can be a source of naturally occurring capsaicin.

To put the capsaicin potency of our paprika into relative terms consider that pure capsaicin has a rating of 16,000,000 Scoville Units (a unit of measurement of capsaicin level in peppers). Our paprika typically has a Scoville Unit score of less than 150--quite a significant difference.

We know of some USEF competitors that will, simply as a precaution, remove products containing paprika from the diet approximately 7-10 days prior to competition. If you have questions with regard to the use of our Blackenall, please feel free to give us a call at 1-800-831-3309--we'd be happy to visit with you in this regard!"

If you're still uneasy about using the supplement contact the USEF to get their take.

morganhorse

My show horse is on Black as Knight. I just make sure to stop feeding it a week before I show to make sure he won't test positive....its great stuff.