Parents and kids today

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
I have friends from out of state visiting with kids. The mother works at a high school where her 2 daughters also attend (ages 15 & 17). The daughters address the mother by her first name in the school environment; I guess to avoid problems with other kids? Yesterday the 3 were baking in my kitchen and the daughters were STILL addressing their mom by her first name. Maybe I’m old school and it’s not my business, but I think it's disrespectful and just contributes to the entitled spoiled rotten class of kids that are being raised. You are the parent, not best friends.

I can kinda get the school thing but…

What are your thoughts?

I have friends from out of state visiting with kids. The mother works at a high school where her 2 daughters also attend (ages 15 & 17). The daughters address the mother by her first name in the school environment; I guess to avoid problems with other kids? Yesterday the 3 were baking in my kitchen and the daughters were STILL addressing their mom by her first name. Maybe I’m old school and it’s not my business, but I think it's disrespectful and just contributes to the entitled spoiled rotten class of kids that are being raised. You are the parent, not best friends.

I can kinda get the school thing but…

What are your thoughts?
Meh. I call my mom 'Grams' because that is what my kids call her and it's become the norm. I see this as the same scenario and don't see any disrespect. Is the the only form of 'disrespect' you see? Do they act respectfully in most other regards?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I think it shows disrespect and a palsy relationship rather than a parent/child one. But, like Kwillia said, it would also depend on how they treat her or she treats them otherwise.

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
They treat her like a mom, no attitudes or disrespect. I guess I'm not into the new age parent/children relationship thing. If I even thought about calling my mom Gail at that age, my father would of beat us silly. Oh well... :)

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
They treat her like a mom, no attitudes or disrespect. I guess I'm not into the new age parent/children relationship thing. If I even thought about calling my mom Gail at that age, my father would of beat us silly. Oh well... :)
I would never call my parents by their first names.
I even call my in-laws Mom & Dad.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I get what you're saying about this seeming to be a lack of respect - however, since they address her by her first name at school, *and* they aren't disrepectful in other ways - I tend to think it's become like a term of endearment now. Like a nickname, in a way.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I would never call my parents by their first names.
I even call my in-laws Mom & Dad.

After over 20 years of marriage, I have still yet figured out a proper term for my in-laws. Mr and Mrs X sounds too formal but in no way would they want me to call them Mom and Dad (nor would I want that). First names are out soooo.... I just wait for them to look my way and start talking to them. :lol:

luvmygdaughters

After over 20 years of marriage, I have still yet figured out a proper term for my in-laws. Mr and Mrs X sounds too formal but in no way would they want me to call them Mom and Dad (nor would I want that). First names are out soooo.... I just wait for them to look my way and start talking to them. :lol:

I had the same problem with my first in-laws. When my then boyfriend, introduced them to me for the first time, I called them Mr and Mrs. They insisted I call them by their first names, but, the way I was raised, I just couldnt do it. After we were married, I still couldnt bring myself to call them by their first names and continued with the MR and Mrs. After I had our first child (Their 1st grandchild) they separated, I then started calling him what my daughter called him, Granddad. My mother in law, I finally started calling by her first name.:biggrin:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I never called a teacher by a first name, but our Dean of Students had a nickname, Oscar Bob. He hated it. :lol:

acommondisaster

I met my husband's parents the week we got married. When I called them Mr and Mrs, my mother-in-law told me Mrs was HER mother-in-law and I could either call them Mom and Dad or by their first names. I wasn't comfortable with either, especially since I'd just met them. For years, I never knew what to call them. My brother-in-law's wife (once they got married) asked me what I called them as she had the same problem - and she'd known them all of her life. It wasn't until a few years after my dad died that I found they were the closest thing I had to family and I started calling them Mom and Dad. Glad I did; I was very fortunate in the family I married into - they are my family.

Hannibal

I also go with the "I'll wait til you look at me before I speak" approach. Otherwise, if forced to, I go with "Mama (last name)" or "Papa (last name)" which is essentially an acceptable nickname taken from how friends of mine used to refer to my own parents. It was suitable to all parties.