Parents of student fatally shot at school file lawsuit against St. Mary's board

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
A formal complaint by a legal team representing Melissa and Daniel Willey, whose daughter was fatally shot two years ago by another student at Great Mills High School, was filed against the St. Mary's County Board of Education in federal court on Friday.

The civil complaint alleges Great Mills High School failed to protect Jaelynn Willey, 16, who was shot at the school by 17-year-old student Austin Rollins on a Tuesday morning in March 2018. Rollins, who authorities report had previously been in a relationship with Jaelynn Willey, had taken his father's gun to school that morning and fired a round at Jaelynn Willey's head, mortally wounding her and striking then 14-year-old student Desmond Barnes in the leg, according to the sheriff's office, before turning the gun on himself and taking his own life.

The suit alleges after Rollins and Jaelynn Willey's relationship "soured" due to his harassing her physically and verbally, he would physically abuse her "at school classrooms during school hours on a repeated basis," and those actions were observed by school personnel, court filings say. The suit also alleges Jaelynn Willey's swim coach was specifically alerted by her parents, and "nothing was done nor escalated by the school."

PeoplesElbow

I am torn on suits like these. It sounds like the school was very niegelent but the school board isn't actually the one to get punished, the taxpayers just end up footing the bill.

Best case scenario is someone gets fired and the school has to give up some money. I have a feeling there is insurance that pays for stuff like this also.

My friend's wife use to teach at GMH said she was called every name out there, would send the kid to the principal and they would be back in class 10 minutes later.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I am torn on suits like these. It sounds like the school was very niegelent but the school board isn't actually the one to get punished, the taxpayers just end up footing the bill.

Best case scenario is someone gets fired and the school has to give up some money. I have a feeling there is insurance that pays for stuff like this also.

My friend's wife use to teach at GMH said she was called every name out there, would send the kid to the principal and they would be back in class 10 minutes later.
Theres something to be said for corporal punishment.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
I suppose this lawsuit was inevitable.

On one hand, my sense is wondering how far a school (or other similar settings) should go in "locking down" those in it. Granted GMHS has a bad rep, but on the other hand, parents/students, teachers, administrators do reach a point where they push back against what is seen as "too much cracking down" (be it discipline, dress codes, hall pass limitations/rules on congregating, intruding into private affairs/relationships, etc.). Further complicating all of this is that what I think is appropriate in these various areas would be seen by others as too much while others would see my take as too little.

I would love to read the proof behind what the article claims is in the complaint:
The complaint mentions a threat of mass violence made less than a month before the shooting, during which the school allegedly increased security for that day only, and another threat of mass violence made less than 24 hours before the fatal shooting, after which the complaint adding allegations the school did not use metal detecting wands, safety vestibules or security cameras that were at their disposal to prevent the incident.

Again, on one hand, no one is surprised that this was the thrust of the complaint. Yet, on the other, it would be interesting to see how the school made sense of this/acted for this particular case, but also (and perhaps, more importantly) how this fit into the matrix of all the other numerous issues/problems the school had/has to deal with.

Bottom line, for me, unless there is proof of gross negligence (and how does one prove that?) I'm not sure the lawsuit will be successful. Having said that, I'm fairly sure what will happen will be a pre-trial settlement (with attendant NDAs).

We can all agree that the whole thing was tragic, though.

--- End of line (MCP)

Last edited:

awpitt

Main Streeter

How long ago?

Principal doesn't handle much of the discipline. It's the APs who do that. Except for the most serious cases.

Clem72

How long ago?

Principal doesn't handle much of the discipline. It's the APs who do that. Except for the most serious cases.

Don't think it matters if it were principal or assistant principal. The point is that the teacher sent a disruptive student out of class, and administrators would immediately send them back.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Don't think it matters if it were principal or assistant principal. The point is that the teacher sent a disruptive student out of class, and administrators would immediately send them back.

It does matter because the difference is in who was principal at the time. I can say that GMHS has improved a lot in recent years. Both of my boys went there (grad'ed in 2014 & 2017) and neither of them experienced any of the horror stories I've heard about in the past. Is GMHS perfect? Heck no. Anywhere there's a concentration of teenagers will have problems. As far as disruptive students being sent directly back to class...... That didn't happen during my kids' time there.

PeoplesElbow

How long ago?

She retired about 5-6 years ago I'd say. By principal's office I'd say that's a generic term for someplace kids use to dread going.

PeoplesElbow

Exactly, she couldn't get rid of a kid that called her a ****ing ****.

Clem72

Exactly, she couldn't get rid of a kid that called her a *ing *.

Obviously we can't turn back the clock, but I can still remember my 4th grade English teacher picking me up by the neck and choking me for several seconds after I called him a queer (which he was). And it was probably less than I deserved. But I didn't give him any lip the rest of the year, and he treated me a bit nicer (likely because he knew he crossed the line a bit).

Today the teacher would probably have to accept that as a compliment.

officeguy

Yep, March. But it was filed in Federal Court so wouldn't that be a 5-year statute of limitations?

I want to say it's four years. You still want to be within the state timeframe in case the feds kick it back to the state. I wonder what the 'hook' is to take this to federal in the first place. I guess the shooting affected the price of seed potatoes or something.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I want to say it's four years. You still want to be within the state timeframe in case the feds kick it back to the state. I wonder what the 'hook' is to take this to federal in the first place. I guess the shooting affected the price of seed potatoes or something.

Feds can't "kick it" back to the state. This isn't an appeals court case.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I think if the school did indeed know that this kid was a danger to Jaelynn, they should be held accountable. It doesn't sound like they did, but who knows.

IMO this is more a reminder to parents to keep tabs on who your kid is hanging out with and run off the bad people.

It's hard to say if the shooter exhibited any unique signs different than the hundred other kids who get reported harassing behavior. Now we all know. But could the school have known before hand? You are right, parents need to know who the heck their kids are running with.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
It's 5, at least according to 18USC3282(a).

According to the OP linked article above "The six-count complaint alleges three federal civil rights violations, negligence, premises liability, survival action and wrongful death on the part of the school system"...