Parkland parents push for background checks on ammunition

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Now, Parkland parent Fred Guttenberg and Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz are offering a new plan to require universal background checks on ammunition purchases. The bill is named after Guttenberg’s daughter Jaime, one of 17 students and staff killed on Valentine’s Day last year at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.

“We have a gun violence death rate in this country right now of approximately 40,000 per year. It is not normal,” Guttenberg said. “In the time that we do this press conference, somebody will learn they are a victim of gun violence, somebody will be buried who is a victim of gun violence and somebody will be planning the funeral for a victim of gun violence. I am not OK with that.”

The background checks for ammunition would work the same way as background checks for firearms. Every time someone of legal age attempts to purchase ammunition, the buyer would be subject to a background check, which Connecticut Sen. Chris Murphy said would take 30 seconds to one minute to complete.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
With the vast quantities of ammo purchased on line....wonder how that is supposed to work.

Will die in committee or die by vote.

Midnightrider

With the vast quantities of ammo purchased on line....wonder how that is supposed to work.

Will die in committee or die by vote.
What makes you think the orange Obama is not for this idea?
He is for raising the age to purchase guns to 21 and he already banned bumpstocks.

He might even EO this one

SamSpade

Saw this and figured I'd post it here..

1- Eleven teens die each day because of texting while driving. Maybe it's time to raise the age of Smartphone ownership to 21.

2-If gun control laws actually worked, Chicago would be Mayberry.

3-The Second Amendment makes more women equal than the entire feminist movement.

4-Legal gun owners have 300 million guns and probably a trillion rounds of ammo. Seriously, folks, if we were the problem, you'd know it.

5-When JFK was killed, nobody blamed the rifle.

6-The NRA murders 0 people and receives $0 in government funds. Planned Parenthood kills 350,000 babies every year and receives $500,000,000 in tax dollars annually

7- Have no problem with vigorous background checks when it comes to firearms. While we're at it, let's do the same when it comes to immigration and voter I.D.

8-You don't need a smoke detector; that's what the fire department is for. Now...If you think that sounds stupid, you know how I feel when you say I don't need a gun.

9- Folks keep talking about another Civil War. One side knows how to shoot and has a trillion bullets. The other side has crying closets and is confused about which bathroom to use. How do you think that's going to end?

Reactions: BOP

Hijinx

These people at Parkdale are trying to put balm on their grief by looking for ways to console themselves.
I am not angry at them for trying to make themselves feel better,

But any law they pass will only harm the innocent gun owner and not bother the crazies or the criminals one bit.

Midnightrider

These people at Parkdale are trying to put balm on their grief by looking for ways to console themselves.
I am not angry at them for trying to make themselves feel better,

But any law they pass will only harm the innocent gun owner and not bother the crazies or the criminals one bit.
Yep, that’s 100% true. The unfortunate thing is that trump has set the precedent that they can get concessions from him if they bitch enough.

SamSpade

Yep, that’s 100% true. The unfortunate thing is that trump has set the precedent that they can get concessions from him if they bitch enough.
Caving in to the opposition on a matter is certainly not a precedent set by Trump.
You can find such decisions in the administrations of pretty much every single President.
At least in the modern age, where public image, the media and so forth wield such power
over issues, small concessions are necessary to accomplish at least a few things:

1. You can't get re-elected - or the task becomes much more difficult - if the press can paint you into a corner
on issues. At worst you can throw them a bone to keep them busy.
2. You can't get cooperation from the opposition and some members of your own party if your stance on
issues is clearly not malleable. Although I have to credit the Democrats, they don't have as many hard-ass
DINOs as the Republicans have squishy RINOs. How any party manages to get things done with the likes of members
such as Collins, Murkowski, Graham and Alexander astonishes me (although I was a bit surprised by Graham during
the Kavanaugh hearings).

Hijinx

We have people getting elected posing as republicans who belong to the wrong party.
Republicans should recognize what they are voting for.

Midnightrider

Caving in to the opposition on a matter is certainly not a precedent set by Trump.
You can find such decisions in the administrations of pretty much every single President.
At least in the modern age, where public image, the media and so forth wield such power
over issues, small concessions are necessary to accomplish at least a few things:

1. You can't get re-elected - or the task becomes much more difficult - if the press can paint you into a corner
on issues. At worst you can throw them a bone to keep them busy.
2. You can't get cooperation from the opposition and some members of your own party if your stance on
issues is clearly not malleable. Although I have to credit the Democrats, they don't have as many hard-ass
DINOs as the Republicans have squishy RINOs. How any party manages to get things done with the likes of members
such as Collins, Murkowski, Graham and Alexander astonishes me (although I was a bit surprised by Graham during
the Kavanaugh hearings).
Find the concessions made directly by a Republican President that directly impacted the 2ndA.
There isn’t a single republican or independent who would held ‘not banning bumpstocks’ against trump. Since he isn’t going to get any Ds to vote for him there was no trade, just a gift.

I still can’t understand why you Trumpers are pretending his ban is defensible

Midnightrider

What's a "Trumper"? Surely you can provide and example of one....and where they defended the ban. Surely.
You are a trumper, and there was an entire thread dedicated to your defending thus ban.

It’s only a couple days away, are you going to destroy yours, turn them in, or become a felon?

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

It’s only a couple days away, are you going to destroy yours, turn them in, or become a felon?
I would became a felon. That is, of course, if I in fact, I did have one of those thingys. In addition, If Gilligan ever showed me his toys, which of course he hasn't, but if he did, with a certain thingy attached to it, and, showed me how it worked, if ever asked by any agent of the State, or Federal, if he did have a certain thingy, it would be, "I do not recall." or "What's a thingy?" or "Gilligan who?" or "I don't speak to agents of the State now get the f*uk off my property." See how that works? Fellow freedom loving Americans just do not cooperate with jack booted thugs. Nor do they throw fellow freedom loving Americans under a bus.

Midnightrider

If I may ...

I would became a felon. That is, of course, if I in fact, I did have one of those thingys. In addition, If Gilligan ever showed me his toys, which of course he hasn't, but if he did, with a certain thingy attached to it, and, showed me how it worked, if ever asked by any agent of the State, or Federal, if he did have a certain thingy, it would be, "I do not recall." or "What's a thingy?" or "Gilligan who?" or "I don't speak to agents of the State now get the f*uk off my property." See how that works? Fellow freedom loving Americans just do not cooperate with jack booted thugs. Nor do they throw fellow freedom loving Americans under a bus.
The jackbooted thugs leader in this case is Trump.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
You are a trumper, and there was an entire thread dedicated to your defending thus ban.

Bet you cannot find a single thread anywhere where I defend the ban. You need to seek professional help for you delusional behavior.

Midnightrider

Bet you cannot find a single thread anywhere where I defend the ban. You need to seek professional help for you delusional behavior.
You mean the thread that got deleted?

So are you going to destroy yours or are you going to become a felon in 6 days?

MAGA