Passenger ferry sinks in Red Sea

CMC122

Go Braves!
This will be a very interesting story to follow today. I do believe that I heard the news say this morning that it was very rough seas at the time of the accident.

dustin

UAIOE
CMC122 said:
This will be a very interesting story to follow today. I do believe that I heard the news say this morning that it was very rough seas at the time of the accident.
The fact that they have only found so few survivors leads me to believe that it sank very quickly...capsized even...like the CNN article says that type of ferry is prone to capsizing if it takes on water...

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Looking at the picture of the ferry, it looks very top heavy and is only a single stack. Fourteen hundred passengers so it was probably overloaded. Also the article said it was a roll on - roll off type know for instability. Rough seas, high center of gravity, unstable design, probably shallow draft -> easy to capsize, roll over. Think Poseidon Adventure. Lots of people trapped until they drown.

MMDad

Lem Putt
So how wil Kerad make this Bush's fault? Or will Pat Robertson turn it into a heathen Arab thing?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Old ferry bought from Europe, bet it p!sses off the Arabs as much as those cartoons before all is said and done.

Mikeinsmd

Ken King said:
Old ferry bought from Europe, bet it p!sses off the Arabs as much as those cartoons before all is said and done.
Careful now there buddy.....:nono: Don't piss schizo off. He'll call you a racist and we know I'M the only racist here, so back off bub!! :mad:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Mikeinsmd said:
Careful now there buddy.....:nono: Don't piss schizo off. He'll call you a racist and we know I'M the only racist here, so back off bub!! :mad:
:killingme Ooooooh, I'm shaking in my boots. Besides I'm an equal opportunity offender. I don't give two sh!ts about race.

Besides I bet it does p!ss them off. I'm just waiting to see how long it is before some Christian like Pat Roberts says something like "it happened because their God was upset with them".

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Ken King said:
Besides I bet it does p!ss them off. I'm just waiting to see how long it is before some Christian like Pat Roberts says something like "it happened because their God was upset with them".
:shocking: Christians don't really say things like that, do they? :gulp:

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Seems there was a fire on the ship that started about 90 minutes after leaving port.

Let's see ... ummm ... overloaded, top heavy, unstable design, probably shallow draft and everyone rushes to one side of the boat to get away from the fire. I think the cause is getting clearer.

SeaRide

2ndAmendment said:
Seems there was a fire on the ship that started about 90 minutes after leaving port.

Let's see ... ummm ... overloaded, top heavy, unstable design, probably shallow draft and everyone rushes to one side of the boat to get away from the fire. I think the cause is getting clearer.

Add 20 mph wind with gust of 35 mph on the Red Sea .. does that help fan the fire somehow?
:shrug:

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
SeaRide said:
Add 20 mph wind with gust of 35 mph on the Red Sea .. does that help fan the fire somehow?
:shrug:
Certainly makes the boat rock.

Tips just a little too much. Crew fighting fire putting more water into ship? Probably. Water in bilge all flows to low side compounding the listing? Probably. Oops. Tipped to point of no return.

Sad for all.