Passing on The Shoulder

TPD

the poor dad
I knew it was against the law.

Because right here in this very forum* I made a complete jackass out of myself arguing that it was not against the law.
Then I did research and saw that I was wrong.

And I had to degrade and demean myself by apologizing in front of God and everyone like I was some kind of filthy clueless peasant.

*Or one of the forums. I think it was here.

Yes we did debate this very topic here a couple years ago. May have been soon after the accident north of Callaway south of Chingville where the woman was killed making the left. I think the key words in that debate was "improved shoulder or roadway".

Grumpy

Because right here in this very forum* I made a complete jackass out of myself arguing that it was not against the law.

It's been argued quite a bit over the years here.

glhs837

Power with Control

saw that I was wrong.

And I had to degrade and demean myself by apologizing in front of God and everyone like I was some kind of filthy clueless peasant.

Ah, good times, good times :)

Goldenhawk

It's been argued quite a bit over the years here.

The transportation code is a hot mess. Finding out what it really, truly says about something is a nightmare. The organization is lousy. And as the parent of three teens, the last of whom is finally about to get a license, I've found that some things clearly taught in the official MD driver's manual are actually not legally required - just a good idea. Add to that the fact that many people moved from out of state, and learned to drive under a different set of real legal rules. So it's no surprise that people disagree about driving laws, and really don't have any idea what Maryland law says.

I was absolutely convinced that passing on the shoulder was okay - and even got out of my car one day to berate some jerk cutting off traffic passing on the shoulder. Then after a few accidents at my neighborhood entrance, I started doing some research on what the law actually says. Surprise, surprise: I was very wrong. Whoops. I owe an apology to some guy.

RGG_jr

I've found that some things clearly taught in the official MD driver's manual are actually not legally required - just a good idea.

Yep. When my daughter was getting her license I often lamented about the driving manual's requirements for turn signals, when I knew (unfortunately) there was legally no requirement to use them in those situations described in the manual--changing lanes (never required) and turning when in a designated turn lane, or at all unless another vehicle was affected.

But hey, legislature. Let's focus on distracted driving (which is fine), while ignoring speeding cars on multi-lane highways changing lanes back and forth without signalling.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yep. When my daughter was getting her license I often lamented about the driving manual's requirements for turn signals, when I knew (unfortunately) there was legally no requirement to use them in those situations described in the manual--changing lanes (never required) and turning when in a designated turn lane, or at all unless another vehicle was affected.

But hey, legislature. Let's focus on distracted driving (which is fine), while ignoring speeding cars on multi-lane highways changing lanes back and forth without signalling.

Sadly there's problems with enforcing that. If they do so with good clearance, it's not really a safety issue. But if they don't have good clearance (and good luck finding that defined in the MD code) then it becomes unsafe. Just like speeding, it can be done safely, or unsafely. Doing 60 up 235 between Gate 3 and Rt 4 is can be done in perfect safety at 930 Sunday morning. At 430pm Tuesday, no way in hell. If the officers tires to cite someone for going 50 in a traffic flow that's going 35, first they need to screw up traffic even worse to catch them, and once they get them pulled over, unless the arsehole has the thought to pull into a parking lot, it blows up traffic even worse as your three lanes now become two, one for the officer and arsehole and another lane due to MDs move over law.

Lastly, the ticket you write is going to be based on judgement, and every judgement case is a risk of the officers time and the courts time will be taken up way out of proportion with a arsehole with more money than sense. Too many like that and your budget takes a hit with overtime for court time. And the public starts getting on your case for screwing up the commute.

Lets be clear, I'm not advocating these things, just explaining them to show why a law enforcement agency might prefer to just get out there on Sat morning with the ol laser gun. You get to show the flag, every hates speeders, so there's no negative PR, you get to generate numbers for the annual competition between agencies that helps decided grants. Win-win. For everything except safety, which of course is supposed to be the goal..... safety, like security, comes at a price........

BernieP

Resident PIA
speaking of hot mess and passing on the right;
In some communities the shoulders of the road are painted with lanes for pedestrian and bicycles.
Is it acceptable to pass on the right using those lanes?

I equate it with using the sidewalk to pass on the right.

In some communities the shoulders of the road are painted with lanes for pedestrian and bicycles.

Unless I'm mistaken, the official bike lanes are solid lines on both sides. If it's a solid line between the car lane and the bike lane that would fall into the 'do not cross it' realm.

RGG_jr

Sadly there's problems with enforcing that.

Sorry. Not sure which part of 'that' you're referring to. I just want a law passed requiring signal use always as I feel it's as much of a problem as distracted driving is--at least. I'd never advocate police pulling people over when unsafe to do so, no mater the circumstances.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Was reading an article about Deb Rey’s town hall and found that bill was passed that will allow drivers to pass on the shoulder when there is a vehicle stopped and making a left turn. It’s supposed take effect on October 1st.

That is so dumb. Don't the law makers have more important things to be talking about? The shoulder is a buffer for emergency pull overs, bicycle riders, pedestrians, sometime emergency vehicle use when traffic is snarled, etc. Why not create more havoc and questions on what to do while driving a vehicle? Just dumb. I am not surprised at all.

officeguy

Is it acceptable for bicyclists to temporarily use a travel lane if the shoulder is blocked, e.g. due to a temporary sign ?

Why should lane use be exclusive ? Of course, there is risk in passing on the shoulder as you can't see around the vehicle in the travel lane. It just has to be don with care that you don't nail someone emptying his mailbox.

littlelady

God bless the USA

:lol:

awpitt

Main Streeter
Sorry. Not sure which part of 'that' you're referring to. I just want a law passed requiring signal use always as I feel it's as much of a problem as distracted driving is--at least. I'd never advocate police pulling people over when unsafe to do so, no mater the circumstances.

If you want a law passed, take that up with your local legislators. It will take a little more effort than posting on a forum but if you really wanted it, don't make excuses, try to make it happen. You'd be surprised at the number of new laws that get passed because someone woke up one morning and thought, " I just want a law passed.....".

Last edited:

Restitution

Unless I'm mistaken, the official bike lanes are solid lines on both sides. If it's a solid line between the car lane and the bike lane that would fall into the 'do not cross it' realm.

Tell that to the azzhats that cross them every single day when they try to sneak into traffic right before the signal light after riding that right lane at 70MPH!

DEEKAYPEE8569

Let's face it folks.....
Texting while driving is going to continue here.
Passing on the right; bike lane or no bike lane; is going to continue here.
Changing lanes without signaling (or looking beforehand) is going to continue here.
Well, there's three.....