Passive Online Income

SamSpade

On one of the threads - possibly on another forum, I can't remember - some millennial discussed his income and mentioned a somewhat large income from what he termed "passive online income". Prior to his mentioning it, I thought such things brought in a couple bucks, like eBates.

Who does this? How "passive" is it? One of my rarest commodities is my time, and no matter how much money I need, spending all of it at a terminal (when I already do that for work) strikes me as miserable.

Do you have a "passive online income"? How did you get started?

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
On one of the threads - possibly on another forum, I can't remember - some millennial discussed his income and mentioned a somewhat large income from what he termed "passive online income". Prior to his mentioning it, I thought such things brought in a couple bucks, like eBates.

Who does this? How "passive" is it? One of my rarest commodities is my time, and no matter how much money I need, spending all of it at a terminal (when I already do that for work) strikes me as miserable.

Do you have a "passive online income"? How did you get started?
Does Gurp get paid for each thread it starts?
If it does, it is RICH.

TCROW

It’s really about diversification of income streams. Some want to live digital nomad lifestyles, so get a few things in the pot and it helps. I’ve never really seen it as relevant to someone with a 9-5 career-oriented job. Our passive income is really our retirement/deferred income scheme.

I’ve written 3 ebooks I sell through Amazon. I had one written before Amazon, and sold it directly through my website. But I too have a 9-5 gig, so it’s not a primary focus of mine these days, and I haven’t sold anything in 2019. And it was never really that much income, but that wasn’t really a focus of mine.

One son lives in Chaing Mai Thailand doing the digital nomad thing and has several passive income streams. There’s no full-time gig, he’s a programmer and just takes gigs as needed to make up for periods of low income. But with no 9-5 it makes it easier to design some passive income that works for you.

SamSpade

It’s really about diversification of income streams. Some want to live digital nomad lifestyles, so get a few things in the pot and it helps. I’ve never really seen it as relevant to someone with a 9-5 career-oriented job. Our passive income is really our retirement/deferred income scheme.

I’ve written 3 ebooks I sell through Amazon. I had one written before Amazon, and sold it directly through my website. But I too have a 9-5 gig, so it’s not a primary focus of mine these days, and I haven’t sold anything in 2019. And it was never really that much income, but that wasn’t really a focus of mine.

One son lives in Chaing Mai Thailand doing the digital nomad thing and has several passive income streams. There’s no full-time gig, he’s a programmer and just takes gigs as needed to make up for periods of low income. But with no 9-5 it makes it easier to design some passive income that works for you.

Just curious. Frankly, I'd be fine with simple stuff that nets a 100 more a month.
I do have a good friend who makes a decent side living selling off his season tickets individually for major sports outlets, but he really doesn't need the money as much as he enjoys bankrolling watching live sports for free.

TCROW

Just curious. Frankly, I'd be fine with simple stuff that nets a 100 more a month.
I do have a good friend who makes a decent side living selling off his season tickets individually for major sports outlets, but he really doesn't need the money as much as he enjoys bankrolling watching live sports for free.

I don’t see the selling of tickets as “passive income”; rather he lays out the cash and then breaks off lots of popular games or whatever and hopes to earn a bit of a profit. I did that with my Redskin season tickets for years before I gave up altogether.

I think we have a notion that passive income only is derived from investments, but self-published books are a huge one too. It’s a big investment of time up-front to write a book, but once written, you hope it sells so that you have some income every month. My son self-publishes programming books, and the languages require updates from time to time, so you can sell “update service” and extend income a bit more than just having a book on a static subject.