Pastor To President Trump

pontificator

Ah yes, the ole No true Scotsman logical fallacy.

Pretty sure it's the pastor's job to preach the word of God, not tell his sheep for whom to vote.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo

Pretty sure it's the pastor's job to preach the word of God, not tell his sheep for whom to vote.
But it's ok when DEM candidates get to campaign from the pulpit, in black churches, especially when they "always keep a bottle of hot sauce in my purse".

IMHO if ANY candidate for any party for any office campaigns from the pulpit that particular church should lose its tax exempt status for that calendar year.

SamSpade

Agreed. No, really, I agree. I hate when they do this - but - Please inform the generations of pastors and religious leaders who have told THEIR followers to vote Democrat and who either invite political leaders to SPEAK from the podium or preach on political issues.

I've heard a few - but not many. My church has occasionally spent time telling us to rebuff efforts to legalize gambling in the state - rather than urge us not to succumb. Frankly, I'd rather hear a lesson about why they need more money (also only sparsely done).

pontificator

Oh and Homesick? I'll let you in on a little secret: God doesn't care for whom you vote. I asked Him directly and He told me so.
But it's ok when DEM candidates get to campaign from the pulpit, in black churches, especially when they "always keep a bottle of hot sauce in my purse".

IMHO if ANY candidate for any party for any office campaigns from the pulpit that particular church should lose its tax exempt status for that calendar year.

You're standing up a straw man. I never made the argument you're addressing here. You really mustn't do that.

pontificator

Hello Devil.

He's right.

He is right - people like you NEED to be told what to do and how to think. People like you are the antithesis of "free thinkers".

Oh and another thing - I just asked God myself and He told me that He doesn't give a flying fig for whom I cast my vote. How 'bout that?

SamSpade

He is right - people like you NEED to be told what to do and how to think. People like you are the antithesis of "free thinkers".

Oh and another thing - I just asked God myself and He told me that He doesn't give a flying fig for whom I cast my vote. How 'bout that?

You DO of course know that to pontificate does NOT mean to speak with authority as a Pontiff - but actually to speak in a annoyingly pompous and especially DOGMATIC manner, suggesting ONLY your opinion is correct?

If you know that, then yes, your name suits you.

But perhaps you should not be on the Religion forum. It's my belief that right, wrong or neither, God cares about every move you make, every word you say, every single thing you do - not to judge or wait impatiently to pounce and judge - but to guide and teach you. He is in control, but what you do always affects YOU. Your vote doesn't matter to the universe but it matters to YOU.

And the Bible does say that, for good or ill, he does put the authorities in power - and that Scripture was written to Christans living under NERO. It does not mean he chooses leaders with respect to their righteousness, but rather so he can enact his will.

SamSpade

You're standing up a straw man. I never made the argument you're addressing here. You really mustn't do that.

Except you'd have to be living in a cave these many decades not to know that religious leaders ESPECIALLY on the Democratic side have been doing this for many, many years. Bringing it up at the first mention of Trump in a preacher's mouth - and not before - doesn't pass the smell test.

No, they shouldn't. But the Dems do every election cycle. I'd bet money that Obama will stand in front of a church at least once before the election and address a regular church service about the election. THAT to me is even worse, because it's not a man of the cloth instructing his followers - it's a man who has no business in the pulpit preaching for himself.