Pat Sajak "Why I've Stopped Arguing with Liberals"

SamSpade

"-- it served to remind me of how difficult it is to have serious discussions about politics or social issues with committed members of the Left. They tend to do things like accusing members of the Right of sowing the seeds of hatred while, at the same time, comparing them to mass murderers. And they do this while completely missing the irony. "

http://www.humaneventsonline.com/article.php?id=6980

Spoiled

That can be said about anyone on either extreme end of the spectrum... If all the words don’t fit you can change one or two and it works... I learned in St. Mary’s country trying to talk to people on the far right doesn’t work and here at school I learned the same about people on the far left... It’s universal for any extreme political view...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Spoiled said:
That can be said about anyone on either extreme end of the spectrum... If all the words don’t fit you can change one or two and it works...
And if we didn't realize that before, the Terri Schiavo situation brought it home in spades.

Spoiled

ROFL, i brought home some unsigned red for my post... Guess someone is to on of the extreme sides :)

instead of posting a rebuttle they did that

<3

SamSpade

I only quoted a short bit - Pat has a lot of interesting things to say.

The only right-wing types I know that are this incorrigible are the religious types. Their fallback position is always the Bible or some religious precept or philosophy or moral code etc. Which translates into, back them into a logical corner, and they'll just say God doesn't like it, so there. Further efforts at persuasion are pointless, because you're a heathen and the devil has you fooled. Get thee behind me!

Ok, a little exaggeration. But that's at the heart of it. No matter how deep you dig, they'll always have the last word, because it's not truth they're searching for - they began the discussion with all the truth they'll need.

Liberals pose a similar front, and I find it much more confounding. At least, a religious fundie knows he's out there, his views may be unpopular, and he might be the only one in the world with them. That's part and parcel of being religious - I know, used to be just like that once.

But liberals are more difficult inasmuch as - well - their views are *right*. Case in point, the article Pat wrote - Ward Churchill - oooh that's a bunch of right-wingnuts trying to silence free speech. Harvard President Lawrence H. Summers’ remarks about inherenct genetic differences between men and women - *HE* should be fired, because, well, that's sooooooo wrong!

The fallback position of the liberal is -well - we're right. Vote for Kerry? No? The election is a fraud! It isn't? Well, then America is *wrong* - time to move to Canada. (Please, do, and take your liberal *vote* with you). The mantra I've heard more often than any from liberals is, if you don't agree, you either don't understand OR - you're an idiot, a redneck, a bigot, a racist, blah-blah-blah.

I don't understand the thought process. I was just reading an article about how this group has decided to "out" gay conservatives, or, failing that, "out" gay *children* of noted conservatives. I may have missed something, but I kind of thought that this was wrong, and a gross invasion of privacy no matter who did it. But to out someone's *children*? That's vicious.

SamSpade

Spoiled said:
ROFL, i brought home some unsigned red for my post... Guess someone is to on of the extreme sides :)

instead of posting a rebuttle they did that

<3
Well, that wouldn't be me. I always sign my name. I'm not ashamed of my opinions.

But I reserve red for azzhole behavior. Trolling, name-calling, insults - being a jerk stuff. Having a dumb opinion does not qualify. Everyone has the right to be dumb.

hamsterfang

The hamster litter reject
SamSpade said:
Well, that wouldn't be me. I always sign my name. I'm not ashamed of my opinions.

But I reserve red for azzhole behavior. Trolling, name-calling, insults - being a jerk stuff. Having a dumb opinion does not qualify. Everyone has the right to be dumb.

I agree. I never give out red for opinions that I may feel are silly, questionable or dumb. It is called an opinion because it is not a fact, and if someone wants to state how they feel, who am to tell them they're wrong? Congrats on you and Spoiled, however. You two had a discussion without all that trolling, name-calling, and "jerk stuff" you speak of. Why can't most people do this? :huggy:

D

dems4me

hamsterfang said:
I agree. I never give out red for opinions that I may feel are silly, questionable or dumb. It is called an opinion because it is not a fact, and if someone wants to state how they feel, who am to tell them they're wrong? Congrats on you and Spoiled, however. You two had a discussion without all that trolling, name-calling, and "jerk stuff" you speak of. Why can't most people do this? :huggy:

:yeahthat: :huggy: for you both :huggy: