Patuxent Park 1947 Homes

Gordon

What is the deal with this neighborhood? Some trashy homes, some where the people are rehabing them. Fair buy for 90K then fix up?

K

Kain99

The market is amazing! I cannot believe that those homes are going for $90.

My personal opinion is, sinking one dime into those homes would be a very bad investment.

It is a very nasty neighborhood. Extremely high crime rate. Those homes no matter how nicely redone will never gain much value.

C

czygvtwkr

I agree, I live across the street in Queen Anne Apts and often hear the dirt bags on their front porches yelling and screaming and the cops are always there. If you could get the dirt bags out some of the houses are still in great condition.

B

bhanks

Where is this place? I'm not familiar with it...although the Queen Anne apts sound somewhat familiar. Is it off of Pegg Road?

unixpirate

Pitty Party
I owned and lived there on Wasp Rd. back in the late 80's to early 90's. It was bad then. Can't imagine what it is like now.

James White

Have a nuisance?Im 4 hire
I am doing a Clean up job for some Bats (nasty Situtation) on Midway drive next wednesday.The houses are well built,but many lack care,I have done a few in that area,that are infested with Bats and Bat guano in the walls and attics,Were they need them done,right away for settlement dates,I think the ones I have done are going for 80K ,that is about it,Sad,but it could be a nice area,But I do beleive many are renters and some of the owners are slum lords.But I do see a trend were many are being sold,At a good price,And many are being rehabbed.

The ones I have done and looked at,need about 20-30k put into them once brought.

oldredneck

I agree...not the best neighborhood in town, but with the market going the way it is who knows? Those homes might be $200K in a couple years! :biggrin:

the_truth

Patuxent Homes

I grew up there all throughout the 80's and into the early 90's. I still have a few frineds that live there, and one this is very consistent, unless someone really took care of the house a while back, it isn't worth crap now. I remember growing up I lived in two seperate areas of the neighborhood, and I was part of the problem coming up, we were bad kids, and they are even worse today. But still they are trying to improve it, they have one hell of a park now, especially the new skate park in there.

Gordon

I started this thread in March. Thanks for the opinions. I've decided to buy a house in this area. I've gotten out of the car and walked the neighboorhood, spoke to long and short time residents. Had to get a feel for the area. Yes, there are some very run down homes in here. And the middle of the road where people just barely keep up and then the people who obviously take pride in their homes.

The house I'm buying needs about 25K worth of work. As a matter of fact, it is my house that James removed the bats from! A new roof goes on in about 2 weeks and the electrical gets upgraded in about the same time. New siding and landscaping by the end of summer. The inside is acceptable for the time being except for some paint and elbow grease! Will insulate and drywall during the winter. Maybe I have this backwards!!!

I worked as a contractor at PAX between 97-2000. Left and am now back for good. The prices of new homes here is more than I want to pay. With the 2 year wait for a new home to be built and the potential of 1000 more families being sent to PAX /St. Mary's where will people live?

Am I making a mistake? God only knows. I know I'm not getting 3+ acres to maintain, a 30+ minute drive to work, the best schools or the nicest neighborhood in the county, or a McMansion with 2.5 baths and the attendant 3K mortgage every month. I'm not normally a betting man, but I'm betting on the revival of this neighborhood. Perhaps it won't be a good bet.

C

czygvtwkr

Gordon, is it the yellow house with the carport?

I myself thought about buying it and rehabbing it. You never know, if the ball gets rolling what may happen.

Gordon

The house is yellow but no car port or garage. Looked at a couple different ones and within last 2 weeks a couple more have gone on the market. Some in better shape than mine. I'm lucky, I don't have enough property to turn it into a McMansion, maybe just a small addition on one side for a 1/2 bath and a small library type room.

James White

Have a nuisance?Im 4 hire
Gordon,
Your house was the 7th in that strip I have done extensive Bat Work at.

You gotta nice house,in the making.

K

Kizzy

:clap: Good for you Gordon, be sure to take before and after pictures of all the work. I think for the price, you cannot go wrong. If you think house prices are bad in St. Mary's, just sneak a peak at the Calvert market. I do not think you'll lose a dime in your investment, sure it is a lot of work, but there is already a bypass approved to go in for Hughesville, FHA is going to raise the loan amounts before too long and believe me, the St. Mary's County home market is going to be thru the roof, up where Calvert and Charles are. I just hope it doesn't build up too fast. :ohwell: