Paw paw season is close

UglyBear

The paw paws are about to ripen, I think the peak season is the next three weeks.
If anyone picked a ripe one, please post.

Several months ago I promised to take a fellow forumite paw paw picking, but can’t find the thread. If you are still up for it, holler!

UglyBear

Btw, it still amuses me how many locals don’t know about paw paws.
I recently talked to a gentleman whose family was one of the original settlers, who spent his childhood running barefoot through forests and tobacco fields here, and he had no idea what the fruit is.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
The paw paws are about to ripen, I think the peak season is the next three weeks.
If anyone picked a ripe one, please post.

Several months ago I promised to take a fellow forumite paw paw picking, but can’t find the thread. If you are still up for it, holler!
The recent windstorm knocked a lot to the ground and I brought them inside and they ripened nicely but another few weeks

I grew hunting all fall. It was always nice to run across and old pear, apple, persimmon, peach or paw paw out in the woods or on the edge of a field

UglyBear

I live in the woods. I think I'm gonna look up some pictures and go for a walk later....
You would be surprised how common they are. Maybe one in four of the trees around you are paw paws — once you know what they look like, you will see them everywhere. And once you see your first fruit, you will see them everywhere too :)

rio

Well, I did a walk, but not too far in (too much potential for spiders and snakes) but not sure if what I saw are pawpaw trees. They look like they could be, but could be something else. Definitely didn't see any green dangling bits to make it obvious. Will start keeping my eyes open more now and check down by the creek when I feel like getting messier.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Well, I did a walk, but not too far in (too much potential for spiders and snakes) but not sure if what I saw are pawpaw trees. They look like they could be, but could be something else. Definitely didn't see any green dangling bits to make it obvious. Will start keeping my eyes open more now and check down by the creek when I feel like getting messier.
Pics?

rio

Do you know how to make the file size smaller? I'm not tech savvy at all!

What I saw was not big enough to be a tree, but could have been a.young one? It was the only thing with leaves similar to the shape online and closer to the larger sizes leaves. I'm not tree savvy either😂

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Do you know how to make the file size smaller? I'm not tech savvy at all!

What I saw was not big enough to be a tree, but could have been a.young one? It was the only thing with leaves similar to the shape online and closer to the larger sizes leaves. I'm not tree savvy either😂
From a phone, just pic the medium or smallest.

I can't help you with the trees. 😂

rio

I can't get it to work, but looking further and comparing I don't think what I took a pic of is a pawpaw. 😕

NextJen

Raisin cane
I have a bunch on a tree in my yard. I don't bother with them because of all the seeds - doesn't seem worth the trouble for the little bit of fruit.

UglyBear

Cook them, make a fruit spread?
I tried it last year, and the cooked “mush” turned out to be bitter.
Did I screw it up, or the fruit i was using was “off”?
How do you usually get rid of the bitter taste in jams?

UglyBear

I have a bunch on a tree in my yard. I don't bother with them because of all the seeds - doesn't seem worth the trouble for the little bit of fruit.
I have two perfect implements for harvesting paw paws — a small child and a eight-foot bamboo stick.
I throw the child at the clump of paw paws, hoping to knock them off when kid flails their arms and legs in flight. Or just send the kid climbing the tree.

And the stick comes in handy to prod the child to climb higher, where the best fruit is .

NextJen

Raisin cane
I have two perfect implements for harvesting paw paws — a small child and a eight-foot bamboo stick.
I throw the child at the clump of paw paws, hoping to knock them off when kid flails their arms and legs in flight. Or just send the kid climbing the tree.

And the stick comes in handy to prod the child to climb higher, where the best fruit is .
I'd invite you to come over and harvest from my tree, but I'm not sure my homeowners would cover any paw-paw injuries. 😆

Grumpy

Typically if you see a snipe, there is usually a paw-paw tree close by.