Pawn Shop suggestion? NOT GLORIAS

buddscreekman

Well I went by D's,the pawn shop by the Brass Rail. Holy cow...words can't describe. Glorias is a classy upscale joint in comparison. Picture this..a smoky,smelly,dark outhouse type hovel. You walk in and see two guys straight out of Deliverance. They don't even look at you. Too busy eating and watching tv. Handwritten signs are everywhere with typical scary Zodiac killer handwriting. One guy comes over licking his fingers to look at my stuff. Porcelain from the 1700's. He states it has "chigger bites"'. He means tiny chips in the gold overlay OR it was getting freaky with a gravy boat in the woods and indeed was bitten by something. After this 3 second appraisal he goes right back to the tv. Sorry dude...I guess instead of an antique with an appraisal I should have brought you a turd. To add to your collection.

Last edited:

RPMDAD

buddscreekman, how about trying a consignment store instead of a pawn shop, may be a better deal. I honestly don't know.

I really would like to just sell. I heard Apple Basket buys antiques. Might try there.
If you have genuine antiques from the 1700s to sell you can't expect to get a true appraisal and anywhere near they're value at a generic pawn shop.

I would suspect you'd have much better appreciation for your stuff over the border in VA at an actual antique shop the specializes in real antiques.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Well I went by D's,the pawn shop by the Brass Rail. Holy cow...words can't describe. Glorias is a classy upscale joint in comparison. Picture this..a smoky,smelly,dark outhouse type hovel. You walk in and see two guys straight out of Deliverance. They don't even look at you. Too busy eating and watching tv. Handwritten signs are everywhere with typical scary Zodiac killer handwriting. One guy comes over licking his fingers to look at my stuff. Porcelain from the 1700's. He states it has "chigger bites"'. He means tiny chips in the gold overlay OR it was getting freaky with a gravy boat in the woods and indeed was bitten by something. After this 3 second appraisal he goes right back to the tv. Sorry dude...I guess instead of an antique with an appraisal I should have brought you a turd. To add to your collection.

Sounds about the same as the "Outdoors" store D had in Callaway. It should have been called "D's Out House". No wonder they closed up before the paint on the walls was dry.

Last edited:

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
AS someone else said, if you have antiques take them to an antiques appraiser, preferably one who does it as a living for auctioneers or insurance companies and not one who also has an antiques business.

The reason is because someone who sells them will likely offer to buy them from you and the price will be at a wholesale, if you will, level and not what you could get selling them outright at an antiques auction or on consignment.

We ran into this with my brother when it came time to sell our mother's stuff. She had a bunch of antique stuff, mostly little things, for which he'd seen prices in stores. While a smart guy he didn't realize that the people bidding at the auction would be dealers lowballing. He was incredibly disappointed in the outcome.

Of course, as the younger brother who isn't an engineer, I didn't know what I was talking about when I told him that was going to happen. Even though I grew up in that area, which he hadn't, and knew most of the people who went to the auction and bid.