Pectus Excavatum Surgery?

C

Charvette

I have a sunken chest, and as I'm always having chest and lower back pains, am out of energy and can't breathe well.. I'm thinking about getting it fixed. I just don't know if I qualify or not, I have an appointment soon to see a doctor, but don't see why i can't ask on here.

Does anyone have any experience with anyone who has had surgery to correct a sunken chest/sternum? What I found on google is not really helpful to me. All I found were pictures of people with severely deformed chests. Mine isn't quite as severe, but I know it is seriously limiting my ability to do physical work. I just wanted to know what qualifies for insurance coverage and what doesn't, if anyone can help? Thanks.

Abby_

There is a Dr. in Norfolk, VA who has pioneered the "Nuss" procedure to repair pectus excavatum. You can google it for more information. There are tests they can do to see if your situation is severe enough to warrant surgery.

The surgery itself...is major (to my understanding). They have to basically set this steel bar in place in your rib cage, "pop" the bar outward and it stays in you for a couple of years. All the while you have to do all the exercises to keep your lungs strong. You will spend about 10 days in the hospital under quite heavy sedation...because it is very painful. Then, after a couple years...they have to remove the bar. The optimum age I think is like 10-14 or something like that.

My friend's son had the surgery when he was a pre-teen. My daughter also has pectus, but hers isn't severe enough to consider surgery. It does not compress her lungs or heart at all.

Good luck to you.

C

Charvette

yeah google doesn't help me. I'm not about to get the nuss rod thing done, because it takes too long and there's no telling if it will go back the other way once you take the bar out.

If it weren't for my seemingly never-ending sinus headache, I could probably concentrate enough mental energy to actually think for myself and not use a doctor or google at all. But that's not possible until I get my sinus congestion/inflammation/headaches under control, which I can't do without help.

FrmGrl

Get some!
If it were just cosmetic then insurance would not cover it. However, if it is compromising your health than it should be covered. Do you have Marfan's Symdrome?? You could look into the Leonard Procedure which is much less invasive than the Nuss. Not sure what Docs do it in the Maryland/DC area but perhaps insurance can help find a Surgeon.

C

Charvette

I'm tall (over 6 foot) but I'm sure I don't have Marfan Syndrome, LOL. The pectus excavatum is most likely inherited. My father has it as well to an extent, so did my mother's father.

FrmGrl

Get some!
I'm tall (over 6 foot) but I'm sure I don't have Marfan Syndrome, LOL. The pectus excavatum is most likely inherited. My father has it as well to an extent, so did my mother's father.
I asked because Marfans is charicterized by very tall people with the pectus excavatum. They also have some heart problems as well. Some that are deadly. Also long fingers. Just curious thats all. I know not everyone that has the Pectus has Marfans but they usually go hand in hand. Anyway they also do a minimally invasive form of the Nuss surgery but I have only seen it done on children. Recovery time is still 4-5 days in hospital. Its video assisted so less trauma to the chest but all surgeries currently out there to fix the problem are not easy. The Leonard procedure is far less invasive but not as effective either. Good luck in finding a solution. My guess is wherever you go you will have to travel to a major city to get it done.

nomoney

I'm looking for a reputable orthopedic surgeon for the opposite of this condition: Pectus Carinatum. (where the chest grows out instead of in). Has anyone had experiences with this and/or have recommendations for drs?