Pellet Stove Acting Up

Shuts down after 10 minutes, then after it cools a bit, turns back on. If you turn it off, the exhaust fan never shuts off. Thermostat relay clicking 1-2 times a second all the time. Trouble shooting guide doesn't have anything exactly like this problem, but the closest thing is a bad thermostatic snap disk. Ordered replacements, but won't get here until Monday at the earliest. Going to warm up outside, so not really needed for a lot of warmth, but I hate when it gets damp in here, like it will over the next few days from the rain. Turn on the oil burner????? What, are you nuts?

Yeah, yeah.... I know. 1st world problems...

Chris0nllyn

What mfr and model stove?

Sounds like the stack may be clogged/restricted or the high limit switch is bad. IT's getting too hot and shutting down on safety. Hence why the fan continues to run when off, to try and get the hot exhaust out.

You can try tying bypassing the high limit switch (snap disk) and just tie the two leads together. If it doesn't shut down, you've found you problem.

It's actually the convection fan switch, but I ordered that, high limit and back-burn limit switches as well. It shuts off long before it ever reaches high limit, and was totally cleaned, including the exhaust stack, fan and flue pipe just last month.

QuadraFire 1100i. Over 25 years old.

Chris0nllyn

It's actually the convection fan switch, but I ordered that, high limit and back-burn limit switches as well. It shuts off long before it ever reaches high limit, and was totally cleaned, including the exhaust stack, fan and flue pipe just last month.

QuadraFire 1100i. Over 25 years old.

Let us know how it goes once you replace the snap switches. I have a feeling that is the problem.

You dont have a meter for finding the problem?
Sure. But the stove is an insert. Have to drag it out of the fireplace, open it all up to test, but can't test the switches unless they transition from cold to hot, so the stove has to be running. More of a pain than it's worth. Just easier to replace a $13 switch.

black dog

Free America
Sure. But the stove is an insert. Have to drag it out of the fireplace, open it all up to test, but can't test the switches unless they transition from cold to hot, so the stove has to be running. More of a pain than it's worth. Just easier to replace a $13 switch.

Yep... Unless you have to do it two or three times...
Good Luck...

Well, this was interesting..... it was working ok in spite of the problems, but seems to have lost it's mind....

Turns out the snap switches were all ok, but I replaced them anyway. Stove still acting the same way. Noticed the control module wasn't seated quite right, so I pulled it, cleaned the contacts and plugged it back in, but no luck. Fans are good, fuses good, everything I can physically touch is good, so that just leaves the control module. $400. ugh. Might be time to invest in a new stove.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I don't know what 25 years means to wood pellet technology, but learned first hand the improvements in oil burner efficiency over the same time. Quite a big difference. Good luck!

nutz

Well, this was interesting..... it was working ok in spite of the problems, but seems to have lost it's mind....
View attachment 145264

Turns out the snap switches were all ok, but I replaced them anyway. Stove still acting the same way. Noticed the control module wasn't seated quite right, so I pulled it, cleaned the contacts and plugged it back in, but no luck. Fans are good, fuses good, everything I can physically touch is good, so that just leaves the control module. $400. ugh. Might be time to invest in a new stove.
Did you check/test the thermocouple?