Pellet Stove

Nevermind.......and asked Jeeves!! :)

I know that you found the answer to your question. I burn 3-3.5 tons a winter. Lignetics brand burns about 25 degrees hotter in my stove than other pellets and the price at Dunkirk is pretty comperable. I definately get more heat for the same amount of pellets so I cna usually run my stove on a lower setting.

greeneyes36

I know that you found the answer to your question. I burn 3-3.5 tons a winter. Lignetics brand burns about 25 degrees hotter in my stove than other pellets and the price at Dunkirk is pretty comperable. I definately get more heat for the same amount of pellets so I cna usually run my stove on a lower setting.

does anyone know if a pellet stove requires the same draft/draw in the chimney as a woodstove would? i'm probably not asking this correctly. i have a woodstove -- whenever i light it, occasionally the smoke backs up into the house vs. up the chimney like it should. someone told me that it's because the chimney isnt high enough above the roof line and the draft isnt what it should be - or something like that. ??.... the builder dug too deep when he was building the house - footers/foundation has an extra course of block... he never adjusted the chimney to offset the difference in the height of the wall of the house in the house plans. SO... i havent run my woodstove in 3 yrs since my ex left, becuase of the hassle of getting it started and then having to use positive pressure fans to get the smoke out of the basement. was considering selling the woodstove (brand new i might add) and replacing it with a pellet stove -- if the pellet stove didnt pose the same issue getting it lit. PLUS, i can lift a 60lb bag or whatever of pellets WAAAY easier than a truckload of firewood and have to split it all. if anyone has any thoughts on this, i'd greatly appreciate hearing what they are. thanks in advance....

willie

What is the advantage of a pellet stove? Don't they require power? It sounds like with the price of the pellets, labor and time involved, oil or propane heat sounds pretty good.

DEEKAYPEE8569

What is the advantage of a pellet stove? Don't they require power? It sounds like with the price of the pellets, labor and time involved, oil or propane heat sounds pretty good.

If you're gonna use propane, shop around for a good price. I'm just sayin'. The propane suppliers are all going to be pretty close, but a penny or two makes a difference. And make sure if you do use propane for heat, that you have at least 300 lbs. worth.
It IS good heat if you have the adequate appliance. I have a "Charm Glow"; I THINK that's the name of the thing; that I used in MY place (Less than 100 sq. ft.); but last winter, I was niiiice-n-warm. Thermostatically controlled once you set it; with an auto fan. Great heater.

I am NOT a non-attorney spokesman for Charm Glow or its subsidiaries.:lmao:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo

Less mess than a traditional wood stove and fireplace. Probably cheaper in the long run than gas (but I admit I do not know for sure) BUT I definitely do know that there's never the worry of a gas leak. WAY cheaper than a heat pump only forced air system.

Provides nice even, warm consistent heat with no fuss or muss. Dump a 40 pound bag of pellets into the hopper, set the thermostat and walk away. I use it to heat only the rooms I'm in, and lower the house thermostat, so the savings is pretty good in that you don't try to heat a whole house. Almost the feel of a wood stove without the mess. Very little labor or time invested in cleaning, just a quick vacuum once in a while.

Yes, requires power, but on the order of a couple of light bulbs worth. Much more easily powered by a small generator than the oil burner.