Pelleted Bedding?

Sparks

Anyone use pelleted bedding in their stalls? What are the benefits over sawdust/shavings?

BentleysRider

I do. Like it a lot. Goods: easy to handle and store, convenient, very absorbent. Not as goods: more expensive, if not used up in the stall through daily use can get dusty-which can be fixed with a quick dampening, requires careful picking to not waste the material, hard to create new bedding from pellets when it's this cold. We pick our own stalls, which makes it cost effective for us. Also, when it's going to be cold, I pre-make some for my very messy horse in our barn cart, then treat it like sawdust. I won't go back to sawdust because the convenience is wonderful. And it's very clean.

fredsaid2

I been using it as my only bedding for the past few months. After you do the initial set up you're supposed to use only one bag per week per stall. So far I'm finding this to hold true. I add a small bucket every other day or so. I don't wet the pellets, they expand and breakdown on their own.

It can be very dusty. Most of us make it worse by picking out all the wet bedding. Instructions say to mix the wet back in w/ the dry. I've gone my own way on this too by removing the hard clumps that won't sift through the manure fork and mixing the rest back in. I'm removing very little sawdust at each cleaning.

It's not a pretty stall, quickly becomes brown, but it's doing the job w/ little waste.

DQ2B

I tried it, twice. Didn't care for it. Never broke down in the stall unless I poured water on it which made more work for me, it's a lot more expensive and I just didn't see where it lasted any longer. I still have half a bag sitting around from last year.