Pelosi renews Obama's 'war on coal,' backs group looking to shut down coal plants

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., is renewing President Barack Obama's so-called “war on coal” by backing a radical initiative to shut down more than a third of U.S. coal plants by 2020 -- a line of attack that spectacularly backfired for Hillary Clinton in 2016.

“Under President Obama, we went on to pass the Waxman-Markey American Clean Energy and Security Act in the House. But we were stopped in the Senate by the coal industry,” Pelosi said in remarks Thursday to the Global Climate Action Summit in California, according to a video obtained by the NTK Network -- an outlet backed by the right-wing America Rising PAC.

“For this and other reasons, I’m so grateful to [Former New York City Mayor] Michael Bloomberg’s ‘Beyond Coal’ initiative working with the Sierra Club. It is so essential.”

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...s-group-looking-to-shut-down-coal-plants.html

Sapidus

Why do you continue to support a dying industry that causes more harm than good? We have cleaner more advanced energies now. Why prop up a dying industry that employees 55,000 people when we could retrain them for safer, cleaner better jobs?

This_person

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., is renewing President Barack Obama's so-called “war on coal” by backing a radical initiative to shut down more than a third of U.S. coal plants by 2020 -- a line of attack that spectacularly backfired for Hillary Clinton in 2016.

“Under President Obama, we went on to pass the Waxman-Markey American Clean Energy and Security Act in the House. But we were stopped in the Senate by the coal industry,” Pelosi said in remarks Thursday to the Global Climate Action Summit in California, according to a video obtained by the NTK Network -- an outlet backed by the right-wing America Rising PAC.

“For this and other reasons, I’m so grateful to [Former New York City Mayor] Michael Bloomberg’s ‘Beyond Coal’ initiative working with the Sierra Club. It is so essential.”

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...s-group-looking-to-shut-down-coal-plants.html

This is great news, and coming out right before an election it helps put things in perspective:

Vote Dem and get rolling black-outs, lower wages and lower employment, higher taxes, and less freedom! Oh, it will all be overseen by the person you ousted many years ago as being incompetent to do her job!!

This_person

Why do you continue to support a dying industry that causes more harm than good? We have cleaner more advanced energies now. Why prop up a dying industry that employees 55,000 people when we could retrain them for safer, cleaner better jobs?

I agree that nuclear power is far better than coal, but nukes need peaking plants to handle surges. Gas does it, but so does coal.

Hijinx

You really believe that Democrats have an intention of training the coal miners in Appalachia for new technologies?
The Democrats have no intention of doing anything of the kind.
When they shut down the coal mines these people are left to fend for themselves.
Most aren't black so they are on their own. Congress could care less about poorly educated white people in Appalachia.

The proof is what have they ever done for them?

This_person

You really believe that Democrats have an intention of training the coal miners in Appalachia for new technologies?
The Democrats have no intention of doing anything of the kind.
When they shut down the coal mines these people are left to fend for themselves.
Most aren't black so they are on their own. Congress could care less about poorly educated white people in Appalachia.

The proof is what have they ever done for them?

They shouldn't do a damned thing for them other than NOT destroy (selectively) their employment. Or, anyone else for that matter.

View attachment 124822

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I agree that nuclear power is far better than coal, but nukes need peaking plants to handle surges. Gas does it, but so does coal.

Add to that the same #######s that oppose using oil or coal are also opposed to nuclear... So what can you do? :shrug:

Hijinx

Add to that the same #######s that oppose using oil or coal are also opposed to nuclear... So what can you do? :shrug:

They are going to do it with fans in the ocean and mirrors in the desert.

Pipe dreams.

This_person

In this case, it is Pelosi, so I can ignore the baseless claims she raises and look to shout them from the rooftops so people know not to give her the gavel back. She'll still never get a law passed she is proposing, so I'm not overly concerned with her issues.

I'd like to see Sec Perry bring back Yucca, though.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Nancy Pelosi knows she's politically safe because there are no coal plants or coal miners in San Francisco.

The Republican candidates absolutely need to use this as a campaign ad and blast it all over, as many places as they can afford. "If Democrats take the House, coal miners will be put out of work and their families will suffer. Vote Republican and protect the little guy from the big city politicians who want to destroy them."

Hijinx

In this case, it is Pelosi, so I can ignore the baseless claims she raises and look to shout them from the rooftops so people know now to give her the gavel back. She'll still never get a law passed she is proposing, so I'm not overly concerned with her issues.

I'd like to see Sec Perry bring back Yucca, though.

I am going to tell you that Nuclear power frightens me.
After Chernobyl and Fukushima I am not convinced that it is safe for the future.

Both Nuclear plants have made the area's they are in unsafe for human habitation for years, and Fukushima is still leaking radiation into the ocean with results yet unknown.

These accidents are rare of course , but they can happen despite safeguards, and no one seems to be able to stop them from threatening far into the future.

I never heard of a coal powered plant blowing up and closing down a whole city.
Alternate Natural gas is clean and fairly cheap now, but that too can change.
The price may go up quickly when they have no competition, or if Natural gas flows slow down.

As for the fans and mirrors, they are mostly dreams.
They cannot fullfill the demand---no way.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

What jobs,,,specifically?

There are approximately 174,000 blue-collar, full-time, permanent jobs related to coal in the U.S.: mining (83,000), transportation (31,000), and power plant employment (60,000).

Many coal-fired plants were dual fuel (NG) and many others have been, or are being, converted to use NG. That alone is responsible for the liion's share of the reduction in so-called greenhouse gas emissions in the US over the last decade.

Sapidus

What jobs,,,specifically?

Many coal-fired plants were dual fuel (NG) and many others have been, or are being, converted to use NG. That alone is responsible for the liion's share of the reduction in so-called greenhouse gas emissions in the US over the last decade.

Whats your point gramps?

This_person

After Chernobyl and Fukushima I am not convinced that it is safe for the future.

US plants are designed to be far safer than those two pieces of crap.

Ok, Fukishima was not crap, but it was poorly designed. Chernobyl was crap.

Look to 3-Mile Island. That was a well-designed plant (and we're only better today) that had every single operator action taken wrong that could be taken wrong, and taken wrong in the worst possible way. While there's a few hundred square feet of PA that will be unlivable for quite some time, essentially no risk was ever presented to the people in the rest of the plant, let alone miles away. We Americans do things right in design even when we muck up (I can't say "monkey" up, apparently) one night of operations of the plant.

You're far more likely to be improperly irradiated from an x-ray machine, or blown up from the LNG holding tanks in Calvert, than have any lasting effects of a US-designed and regulated nuke plant. This is one area where I believe most of the regulations imposed by government are proper.

SamSpade

Those two events have one VERY large thing in common, which you may or may not agree is relevant but ---

They did not happen *here*. We have the most nuke plants in the world - around 100.
The worst accident we have had on our soil is Three Mile Island, which resulted in nothing released to the environment -
but did expose people inside the plant.

We have had nuclear power plants operating for 70 years without a Chernobyl or a Fukushima - and on the basis of just
how strictly, slowly and thoroughly they are examined, inspected and so forth - there's very little likelihood there will ever be one.
I worked at Harvard Radiation Safety during Chernobyl - that thing might as well have been put together with gum and glue.
You remember of course, the Soviets had no intention whatsoever of informing the rest of the world about it - until it was obvious.

I remember when the last of the big plants went online - Seabrook. That place you could have eaten off the floors.
They made certain of that - every liberal in Massachusetts was determined to find something wrong - and they couldn't.

That said - it's not the plants I worry about - it's disposing of the waste. And we *have* technologies out there to make
use of that would minimize the hazards - we just chose decades ago to follow technology we could use to weaponize the
by products of it. We don't need to do that.

I left radiation safety decades ago, so my expertise however meager might not be current - but I've been reading much
over the years about LFTR, which I believe is a good solution, although I don't possess the knowledge to compare all the
advantages and disadvantages. The upside to liquid flouride thorium reactors is, you pretty much CAN'T have an accident.