PENS Machine

warneckutz

Anyone have any experience with a PENS (Patterned Electrical Neuromuscular Stimulation) machine?

It's sort of like a TENS machine but I think it's supposed to work much deeper in to the muscle... anyway... I have to use one during P/T and I figured I could get back in the gym much faster if I purchased my own, which will be here tomorrow...

Anyway, just curious if anyone has any input on one.

Pete

Repete
I bought one of those elcertonic shock machines with the electrodes and adhesive pads one year at a kiosk at the mall. You stick the electrodes on a muscle and turn it on and it causes uncontrolable muscle titching. Great fun at parties :lol:

Misfit

Lawful neutral
I have a pretty good TENS machine I use sometimes (8 electrodes). It helps me rehab muscles and stuff that I can’t really use because some injury or another. Mine also has an EMS setting, that I'm sure you've seen ads for in the back of Muscle Magazines. I only use the TENS once in a while now when I've really messed something up. It does work.

warneckutz

The one I use in P/T changes the electrical stimulation based on how your muscles react to the previous pulse. My injury isn't muscle related but tendon, so I was looking in to something that goes beyond the TENS. From how I understood it, a TENS helps to relieve pain for the period it's on your body, the PENS helps with blood-flow and retraining muscle and neurological stuff... I dunno... sounded scientific enough.

warneckutz

osfx2Portable-used2-sm.jpg
ACP is the only provider of therapeutic devices featuring its patented Patterned Electrical Neuromuscular Stimulation (PENS) technology. This unique electrical stimulation waveform closely replicates the body's normal muscle and nerve firing patterns (based on EMG studies). Research has demonstrated its effectiveness for muscle re-education and treatment of muscle disuse atrophy following trauma, injury, or surgery. ACP's therapeutic PENS devices may be used to assist in the treatment of symptoms of neuromuscular disease, urinary incontinence, stroke, recovery from post-operative joint replacement and other orthopedic diagnoses.

The new Omnistim® FX2 Portable enables patients to extend the clinical benefits of electrical stimulation for the management of chronic pain after they have been discharged from their initial therapy program. In some treatment settings, including Outpatient Clinics and Home Health, it may also be recommended as an adjunct therapy used to support an ongoing rehabilitation program. With its "pre-set" operational features, therapists are able to pre-program the unit for simple "at home" patient use. The FX2 Portable’s pain management protocols are achieved using Transcutaneous Electrical Stimulation or "TENS", which stimulates nerves to help block pain messages to the brain. Studies have also shown that TENS may help release of the body's own pain-relieving biochemicals.

In addition to its TENS pain management protocols, the Omnistim® FX2 Portable offers ACP’s "Patterned Electrical Neuromuscular Stimulation" or "PENS" – a patented electrical stimulation waveform that closely replicates the body’s normal muscle and nerve firing pattern for effective pain management and muscle re-education. This effect may be used to assist in the treatment of neuromuscular dysfunction, urinary incontinence, stroke, recovery from post-operative joint replacement and other orthopedic diagnoses. This simple-to-use battery operated device provides gentle electrical stimulation through electrode pads that are placed at or near the affected area. Clinicians provide patients with proper direction on electrode placement, treatment protocols, duration of treatment and general operation