People are noticing something odd about Kirsten Gillibrand’s apron in this photo

glhs837

Power with Control
My logical argument was met with your hairsplitting, denial and justification

Examples, please?

1. Ceremonial press events at the White House are different than a candidate inviting the press home for dinner. Thats not hairsplitting, that's a factual statement.
  2. Denial of what, exactly?
  3. Justification? I pointed out that both Michelle Obama and Melania Trump have actually gardened (as opposed to using a golden shovel to ceremonially move a small pile of dirt) with school children in the White House Garden as part of their official duties. Neither of them looked at home their anymore than GW did reading to a class of school kids. But all of those events, all done in their official capacity are different than a candidate for office inviting the press home to present a picture of some domestic life that might or might not exist.

So, if your "logical argument" was that Gillibrands in kitchen campaign event is the same as a member of the White House performing their duties, I reject that. Nobody believes or is expected to believe that Melania spends time gardening, nor that Michelle did either. But the while point of Gillbrands "interview" was to convince voters that this is a normal night at home for them.

Auntie Biache'

Nobody believes or is expected to believe that Melania spends time gardening, nor that Michelle did either. But the while point of Gillbrands "interview" was to convince voters that this is a normal night at home for them.

If I were the first lady, the first thing I'd do is sink a garden into the WH lawn. My own little paradise. If you wanted to interview me, you'd have to meet me there, where I'd have muddy wellies, frumpies, and my hair pulled back.

Reactions: BOP

Hijinx

See, your characterization of this as "The first Lady gardening in heels" was pretty poor. This wasn't meant to display the First Lady gardening. this was a press event, not some "Look at me, I'm a normal person gardening like normal people gardening".
LMAO I bet it was the gold colored shovels that tipped you off.

Hijinx

From the article:

You know, she’s just a working mom who, like working moms everywhere, prepares steak and fish for their kids most nights of the week.

Yeah I do a little cooking at times and I usually cut the fish to size before I put it in the pan, I also use a little egg a little flour and salt and pepper, and of course OLD BAY.

Midnightrider

Examples, please?

1. Ceremonial press events at the White House are different than a candidate inviting the press home for dinner. Thats not hairsplitting, that's a factual statement.
  2. Denial of what, exactly?
  3. Justification? I pointed out that both Michelle Obama and Melania Trump have actually gardened (as opposed to using a golden shovel to ceremonially move a small pile of dirt) with school children in the White House Garden as part of their official duties. Neither of them looked at home their anymore than GW did reading to a class of school kids. But all of those events, all done in their official capacity are different than a candidate for office inviting the press home to present a picture of some domestic life that might or might not exist.
So, if your "logical argument" was that Gillibrands in kitchen campaign event is the same as a member of the White House performing their duties, I reject that. Nobody believes or is expected to believe that Melania spends time gardening, nor that Michelle did either. But the while point of Gillbrands "interview" was to convince voters that this is a normal night at home for them.
Both are staged press events. Both have the secondary intention of trying to paint the subject as a ‘more average person’. You can hairsplit beyond that all you want.

You have a picture of Melinia actually gardening and not just giving a photo Op?

glhs837

Power with Control
Both are staged press events. Both have the secondary intention of trying to paint the subject as a ‘more average person’. You can hairsplit beyond that all you want.

You have a picture of Melinia actually gardening and not just giving a photo Op?

Ah no, the GB events only purpose was to paint her as more average, no ceremony or educational purpose at all, if you know of one, let fly. MTs events were in order, ceremonial and educational. She was ceremonially replacing a historic tree on the grounds that had blown down. Ceremonies are never about painting the participants as more average people. In fact, average people usually only attend them when they have done something out of the ordinary, like save a puppy from. a sewer.

As to the gardening, you maybe misunderstood me. I did not say she gardened for fun. What gardening she has done is the same as the gardening that Michelle did. Unless I'm mistaken, the gardens in question at the white House were started by Michelle, and Melania has kept that up. This thing is educational, a partnership with DC schools to get kids involved with growing things. My point was exactly that there are no puff pieces about the real life Melania, the average person, she's just like you!!!! For one, nobody would believe them. She's a fashion model polyglot married to a billionaire, average just isnt a thing for her. She doesn't pretend her life is anything like yours or mine.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
See, your characterization of this as "The first Lady gardening in heels" was pretty poor. This wasn't meant to display the First Lady gardening. this was a press event, not some "Look at me, I'm a normal person gardening like normal people gardening".
Exactly.

--- End of story (MCP)

Midnightrider

Ah no, the GB events only purpose was to paint her as more average, no ceremony or educational purpose at all, if you know of one, let fly. MTs events were in order, ceremonial and educational. She was ceremonially replacing a historic tree on the grounds that had blown down. Ceremonies are never about painting the participants as more average people. In fact, average people usually only attend them when they have done something out of the ordinary, like save a puppy from. a sewer.

As to the gardening, you maybe misunderstood me. I did not say she gardened for fun. What gardening she has done is the same as the gardening that Michelle did. Unless I'm mistaken, the gardens in question at the white House were started by Michelle, and Melania has kept that up. This thing is educational, a partnership with DC schools to get kids involved with growing things. My point was exactly that there are no puff pieces about the real life Melania, the average person, she's just like you!!!! For one, nobody would believe them. She's a fashion model polyglot married to a billionaire, average just isnt a thing for her. She doesn't pretend her life is anything like yours or mine.

That’s an awful lot of hairsplitting over two lady’s pretending to do something they don’t normally do and looking fake as crap while doing it. But you guys have at it :yay:

terbear1225

As I see it, one was intended to make people believe it IS something they nromally do and one isnt. Doesn't seem like hair splitting to recognize and acknowledge the difference

Last edited: