People Can’t Drive!

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
when one can be purchased used for $ 2500 bucks ..... get back to me
EVs will never be that cheap. By the time the frame ages to the point where where it's affordable, you'll need a new battery pac. Unless they get the cost of replacement batteries way down, used vehicles won't be cheap. A Tesla Model 3 replacement is about $16K.

glhs837

Power with Control
EVs will never be that cheap. By the time the frame ages to the point where where it's affordable, you'll need a new battery pac. Unless they get the cost of replacement batteries way down, used vehicles won't be cheap. A Tesla Model 3 replacement is about $16K.

See, I'm not so sure that the packs will age that way. The Model 3 packs are a different design than the S and X. Musk says that thye should be good for 300-500k. And another factor is that the Model 3 pack (and the new S and X packs that are starting now) can have modules replaced instead of the whole pack. We can aslo expect that the now cottage class industry in repairing packs will expand and that secondhand repaired packs will be available for sale. https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-n...life-if-you-own-a-tesla-model-3-ar185236.html

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
See, I'm not so sure that the packs will age that way. The Model 3 packs are a different design than the S and X. Musk says that thye should be good for 300-500k. And another factor is that the Model 3 pack (and the new S and X packs that are starting now) can have modules replaced instead of the whole pack. We can aslo expect that the now cottage class industry in repairing packs will expand and that secondhand repaired packs will be available for sale. https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-n...life-if-you-own-a-tesla-model-3-ar185236.html
Maybe. Time will tell. I can see it going either way. I also see entirely new battery tech coming out lowering the cost but making older pacs tougher to get because they become cost-ineffective to repair. With any luck, they'll design a battery upgrade path for older vehicles.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Husband and I were driving back from Calvert Hospital around 3pm yesterday and traffic was backed up for an accident. Turned out it was a SUV that had rolled and was in the median. Drove a little further and the helicopter was taking off. It was in St Leonard.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Even old Prius or Insights stay pricy ...

AnthonyJames

R.I.P. My Brother Rick
Husband and I were driving back from Calvert Hospital around 3pm yesterday and traffic was backed up for an accident. Turned out it was a SUV that had rolled and was in the median. Drove a little further and the helicopter was taking off. It was in St Leonard.
Was Mike Evans driving?

glhs837

Power with Control
Even old Prius or Insights stay pricy ...

I count seven Prii at or under $2500 on FB Marketplace right now witching 100 miles. Insights? I think I see one of those a year, not enough for a sample... But holy heck, there is one under 2500 within 100 miles.

*100 miles of Lexington Park

DaSDGuy

It looks like Newtowne Neck Road is trying to pass St Andrews Church Road for the amount of weekly collisions. Just wondering when traffic enforcement will increase and speed limits are lowered.

DaSDGuy

Dont think limits need to be lowered, just hold people accountable for poor driving. Starting to enforce the damn cell phone ban would be a great start.
I agree. I was just posing the same solutions to the road to Breton Bay that have been proposed for the main road that connects Rt 5 and Rt 235. It also provides access to the major shopping areas in the county.

Clem72

Not to mention they claim to have a million mile battery ready to go. Not sure how long that pack would last before it dies from old-age, but its encouraging.

Clem72

I count seven Prii at or under $2500 on FB Marketplace right now witching 100 miles. Insights? I think I see one of those a year, not enough for a sample... But holy heck, there is one under 2500 within 100 miles.

*100 miles of Lexington Park

Used cars (all cars really) are selling at a premium right now. There were tons older EVs (mostly leafs, but a few prius an others) selling for under $3k this time last year.

glhs837

Power with Control
I agree. I was just posing the same solutions to the road to Breton Bay that have been proposed for the main road that connects Rt 5 and Rt 235. It also provides access to the major shopping areas in the county.

Agreed, and that roads problem isnt speed either. Drunks late, idiots early. Having a center turn lane in a few places wouldn't hurt either

DaSDGuy

Agreed, and that roads problem isnt speed either. Drunks late, idiots early. Having a center turn lane in a few places wouldn't hurt either
And the accident on Newtowne Neck Road was reported at 1:10 AM and caused by someone crossing the center line. Now, if I can just remember what businesses are open at 1 AM and when they stop serving customers.

stgislander

PREMO Member
At one time the cause of an accident at 1:10am northbound on Newtowne Neck Road was pretty obvious. Let's hope it wasn't that.