People Can’t Drive!

glhs837

Power with Control
Yesterday I must have seen three or more separate SMCSO SUVs running laser/radar on 235 at the same time between Gate 2 and Rt4. Oddly enough I passed 5-8 people openly holding their phones during that same trip.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Yesterday I must have seen three or more separate SMCSO SUVs running laser/radar on 235 at the same time between Gate 2 and Rt4. Oddly enough I passed 5-8 people openly holding their phones during that same trip.
Because it's probably easier to challenge the cell phone ticket and therefore more productive to simply write speed violations.
Yes, they can get access to the phone to check use, but how were they using it, can they prove it wasn't hands free?
You've seen the illegal window tint on some of the vehicles, lawyer is going to ask if the officer got a clear view.
How many people bother to challenge a speeding ticket? If they do, how many have gotten off?

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

It looks like Newtowne Neck Road is trying to pass St Andrews Church Road for the amount of weekly collisions. Just wondering when traffic enforcement will increase and speed limits are lowered.
A symptom of too many cars, not enough road. Ie. lack of proper planning.

glhs837

Power with Control
Because it's probably easier to challenge the cell phone ticket and therefore more productive to simply write speed violations.
Yes, they can get access to the phone to check use, but how were they using it, can they prove it wasn't hands free?
You've seen the illegal window tint on some of the vehicles, lawyer is going to ask if the officer got a clear view.
How many people bother to challenge a speeding ticket? If they do, how many have gotten off?

Yep. Pondered a simple driver and passenger window frame mounted dash cam that could gather a 30 second video clip. Officer sees you texting, hits red button to lock that clip away from be rewritten. A nice still and video as proof of what the officer saw. Only reason I havent pursued it is that I know that it would be abused like the license plate cameras.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Yep. Pondered a simple driver and passenger window frame mounted dash cam that could gather a 30 second video clip. Officer sees you texting, hits red button to lock that clip away from be rewritten. A nice still and video as proof of what the officer saw. Only reason I havent pursued it is that I know that it would be abused like the license plate cameras.
They would just have to "roll film" and hope that any reflection of the windows didn't blur the image even more.
The camera would have to have a really fast shutter speed, with a rather large aperture to capture a still of a vehicle going by at 45MPH +

PeoplesElbow

They would just have to "roll film" and hope that any reflection of the windows didn't blur the image even more.
The camera would have to have a really fast shutter speed, with a rather large aperture to capture a still of a vehicle going by at 45MPH +
I think he said video himself to prove he wasn't texting?

BernieP

Resident PIA
I think he said video himself to prove he wasn't texting?
I'm not sure what he meant, was he suggesting that all vehicles have cameras mounted facing the front see passengers, with a 30 minute loop?
Something like a cockpit voice recorder. Only this would capture audio and video and retain the last 30 minutes.
Better yet, add in a driving data recorder. Records various information about the vehicle, including GPS time and location, acceleration, G forces, velocity.
You are required to pay for the installation and maintenance of this new "safety" equipment and would be required to turn over the data on demand.
Just like other rights you sign away for the privilege of driving on the public roads

glhs837

Power with Control
I'm not sure what he meant, was he suggesting that all vehicles have cameras mounted facing the front see passengers, with a 30 minute loop?
Something like a cockpit voice recorder. Only this would capture audio and video and retain the last 30 minutes.
Better yet, add in a driving data recorder. Records various information about the vehicle, including GPS time and location, acceleration, G forces, velocity.
You are required to pay for the installation and maintenance of this new "safety" equipment and would be required to turn over the data on demand.
Just like other rights you sign away for the privilege of driving on the public roads

I wasnt clear, this would essentially be a dash cam (yes, like a CVR) on the upper edges of doors of the cop car that would record say 30 second clips to memory, overwriting them when they fill the memory. Officer glances over and see John Q. ******* texting away, hits the red button, that saves the clip to the "*******s who text while driving" folder. Pulls over John Q. issues citation, points to camera, says "if you want to fight it, be aware the prosecutor can just show the judge the video, have a nice day."

Note also I said I hadn't pursued it because I could easily see the raw data being slid under the table to the facial recog guys for the database. But I'm open to other ways to stop these people with phones being the danger that they are.

BernieP

Resident PIA
There's a Facebook page, Southern Maryland Crap Drivers. People posts pics and videos.
I would be careful doing that
Retaliation in the form of harassment, violence or lawsuit.
Not worth the grief
Also I'm sure people think I'm a TERRIBLE driver when I honk my horn because they pulled out in front of me.
Of course, they think I am just tailgating them. No, I'm not, this is where you placed yourself.
But that's their story and they will stick to it.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I wasnt clear, this would essentially be a dash cam (yes, like a CVR) on the upper edges of doors of the cop car that would record say 30 second clips to memory, overwriting them when they fill the memory. Officer glances over and see John Q. *** texting away, hits the red button, that saves the clip to the "***s who text while driving" folder. Pulls over John Q. issues citation, points to camera, says "if you want to fight it, be aware the prosecutor can just show the judge the video, have a nice day."

Note also I said I hadn't pursued it because I could easily see the raw data being slid under the table to the facial recog guys for the database. But I'm open to other ways to stop these people with phones being the danger that they are.
Your system would only work if the vehicles are side by side, moving in the same direction AND the window tint / polarization doesn't disrupt the image being recorded.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I would be careful doing that
Retaliation in the form of harassment, violence or lawsuit.
Not worth the grief
Also I'm sure people think I'm a TERRIBLE driver when I honk my horn because they pulled out in front of me.
Of course, they think I am just tailgating them. No, I'm not, this is where you placed yourself.
But that's their story and they will stick to it.
I don't do that. I read more for laughs.
I joined just to see what was on there. All I see is whiny bitches whining that the person in front of them isn't driving fast enough.
There are quite few of those. :lol:

BernieP

Resident PIA
Raises an interesting question, I'm fairly certain that we, the average citizen, can't post a picture of a vehicle, with the plate and the complaint.
But law enforcement can post pictures (Booking photos) and information about arrests.
What happens if the accused's employer see the arrest and decides to fire them, but the person is later found not guilty?
Can they sue for damages?

glhs837

Power with Control
Your system would only work if the vehicles are side by side, moving in the same direction AND the window tint / polarization doesn't disrupt the image being recorded.

But of course, although asking officers to pace traffic might be asking too much:) I'm pretty sure that dash cams could handle that just fine. Not the tint, but lets not let perfect be the enemy of good. If the cameras sees only as well as I do, they could fill a ticket book in a four hour shift. I don't advocate mass enforcement, and I'm open to other paths to reducing the coincidence of texting/cell phone holding drivers, but something like this seems the most achievable pathway to that goal.

Lets face it, texting drivers are the new DUI drivers, causing carnage that's totally reducible. But when your Sheriff states he's only enforcing that law when given grant money specifically for that reason, it's no wonder people feel free to do it.

glhs837

Power with Control

oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm/https://rosap.ntl.bts.gov/view/dot/53958/dot_53958_DS1.pdf

BernieP

Resident PIA
Lets face it, texting drivers are the new DUI drivers, causing carnage that's totally reducible. But when your Sheriff states he's only enforcing that law when given grant money specifically for that reason, it's no wonder people feel free to do it.
Distracted drivers. Even listening to the radio can diminish your visual concentration. Question was, does turning down the radio help you locate an address while driving. Sounds silly, but it turns out the answer is yes, and it has to do with focus.
I hate blaming technology, too easy. You pick up your phone, big whoop.
The question is where are your eyes and your focus.
I watched a woman weave all over the road. Finally was able to pass at a light - mainly because she didn't move on the green.
Her hands were off the wheel, she was waving them around and having a very animated conversation.
But the phone was not in her hand.
So, does that get her off the hook?

glhs837

Power with Control
Distracted drivers. Even listening to the radio can diminish your visual concentration. Question was, does turning down the radio help you locate an address while driving. Sounds silly, but it turns out the answer is yes, and it has to do with focus.
I hate blaming technology, too easy. You pick up your phone, big whoop.
The question is where are your eyes and your focus.
I watched a woman weave all over the road. Finally was able to pass at a light - mainly because she didn't move on the green.
Her hands were off the wheel, she was waving them around and having a very animated conversation.
But the phone was not in her hand.
So, does that get her off the hook?

Again, you want to require perfect enforcement before doing any enforcement, it seems. No, you cannot stop every distraction and every driver. I too see disconnected people in traffic every day. Lets get that low hanging fruit, I say. Lets get people thinking twice before picking up the phone to text or watch a firkin movie on their steering wheel. And we both know that "picking up your phone" isnt the problem and why a 5-8 second video clip is better than a still image. It's what you do when you pick it up. I see them, especially when I'm on the bike, those people giving more attention to the phone than the road. They drive like drunks, weaving, over reacting to oncoming traffic.

Last edited:

TPD

the poor dad
And here we go AGAIN! Another death on this stretch of Rt 235 between Dameron and Gate 3. I will have to open my spreadsheet to count the total deaths on this stretch in the last 3 years, but I know it is more than it should be.

And here we go AGAIN! Another death on this stretch of Rt 235 between Dameron and Gate 3. I will have to open my spreadsheet to count the total deaths on this stretch in the last 3 years, but I know it is more than it should be.

As the first person on the scene and having witnessed the accident - I don't think the stretch of road was the problem in this particular situation.