People will bitch about anything

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
http://www.militarytimes.com/story/...erican-flag-shrouded-in-controversy/70203016/

"You have disgraced our fallen soldiers as well by disobeying that code. I don't know what the military teaches these days but I do know my son was taught the flag code and also taught that any disobedience towards that code would result in repercussions from your command....yet here you are in uniform, name fully visible, on a photographer's Facebook page disobeying that code and dishonoring our fallen soldiers and you obviously don't care."

I love this photo. It tells a powerful story.

flagbaby.jpg

Bay_Kat

Tropical
Saw it on TV yesterday and thought how beautiful it was. Of course people will gripe about it. You're right it does tell a powerful story and there is no disrespect to the flag. Where were all these crying folks when that rapper was stomping all over the flag? Didn't hear much about that.

On the other hand I heard a story a few days ago where a group of students at some college are trying to ban the American flag at their school. You'll never be able to make everyone happy.

No diggity.

I'd like to think that none of our soldiers have fallen for that flag. I'd like to think, if they had to fall, it was for what that flag represents. And I'd say that picture honors what that flag represents more so than dogmatic insistence on rigid adherence to ritualistic rules relating to the handling of that flag ever could.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
No diggity.

I'd like to think that none of our soldiers have fallen for that flag. I'd like to think, if they had to fall, it was for what that flag represents. And I'd say that picture honors what that flag represents more so than dogmatic insistence on rigid adherence to ritualistic rules relating to the handling of that flag ever could.

Wrong.

The flag, to a soldier, throughout history, is trained in as a POWERFUL symbol of unity and strength so that under fire one might take strength from it and use it to maintain commitment to the field and unit and orders, stay in the fight.

This right here is the best example of this, ever, of the UNITY soldiers train for to respond and rally around the flag;

This is POWERFUL stuff;

[video=youtube;QD9QAAEfQEA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD9QAAEfQEA[/video]

luvmygdaughters

I think this picture represents what the Flag stands for. Protection of our shores and citizens. I would much rather see it used this way than sewn on the ass of a pair of jeans, stomped on by the westboro church nuts, burned by the citizens it protects. My father served in WWII, my brother in law in Viet Nam, my great nephew is a marine. I don't think any of them would be offended by this picture.

PsyOps

Pixelated
United states code, title 36, chapter 10

The subjects covered by the 50 titles of the U.S. Code are:

10. Armed Forces

§176. Respect for flag

No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.

(c) The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.
(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free.
(h) The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.
(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever.

blacklabman

Saw it on TV yesterday and thought how beautiful it was. Of course people will gripe about it. You're right it does tell a powerful story and there is no disrespect to the flag. Where were all these crying folks when that rapper was stomping all over the flag? Didn't hear much about that.

On the other hand I heard a story a few days ago where a group of students at some college are trying to ban the American flag at their school. You'll never be able to make everyone happy.
UC Irvine. What you would expect in California. Give it back to the wetbacks. The school later overturned.

Wrong.

The flag, to a soldier, throughout history, is trained in as a POWERFUL symbol of unity and strength so that under fire one might take strength from it and use it to maintain commitment to the field and unit and orders, stay in the fight.

This right here is the best example of this, ever, of the UNITY soldiers train for to respond and rally around the flag;

This is POWERFUL stuff;

[video=youtube;QD9QAAEfQEA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD9QAAEfQEA[/video]

I get that. I'm saying I'd like to think soldiers - as well as any Americans - would care more about what the flag represents, the ideals of America, than about the flag itself. That would be preferable I think.

For instance: Though I can't imagine I'd ever burn an American flag, I'd consider it more American - and more laudable - to defend someone's right to burn that flag than it would be to fight to not allow them to. The former is respecting what the flag represents, possibly at the cost of disrespecting the flag itself; the latter is respecting the flag itself, possibly at the cost of disrespecting what the flag represents. The latter is, in my view, wrong - it's losing perspective and getting priorities wrong.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'd rather see the flag cradling a baby than as a prop for some lying politician's televised bullchit. If people want to get all pissed off, that would be something worth bitching about.

PeoplesElbow

I'm certain that no disrespect was meant, however I can imagine that the navy is not happy about its use. Much like some people that mean well by putting a flag out and not bringing it in at night or lighting it etc.

PJay

I'm certain that no disrespect was meant, however I can imagine that the navy is not happy about its use. Much like some people that mean well by putting a flag out and not bringing it in at night or lighting it etc.

Yeah. My SO being a Marine loves the flag so much he has one drapped over back seat of his truck. He means no disrespect.

Not me. I always want to beat the chit out of people I see burning or desecrating our flag.

Sure. I'd probably have similar feelings were I to see someone doing that.

But I think people should have the right to do a lot of things that I'd find stupid or disgusting or infuriating or reprehensible or whatever.

I think the University of Oklahoma students who were recently seen singing about ######s on video are likely asshats. But I don't think the University gets to expel them for it.

SamSpade

I think the only objection I have to it at all is the very strong possibility it's about to become a soiled diaper. And I don't know how to desecrate a flag worse than that.

However, I like the sentiment.

b23hqb

PREMO Member

Looks clear to me the photo is out of line with what "respect for flag" stands for, and it does not stand for any photo op, cute or not.

Your link pretty much covers it:

(c) The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.
(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free.
(h) The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.
(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever.

I'm sure no ill intent was meant, but even unintentional disrespect for the flag is still disrespect.

Just because people disagree about the use of the flag in this thread does not mean they be bitchin' about it.

Last edited:

Bay_Kat

Tropical
Anyone remember this? I'm sure most do. I remember when it happened, don't remember if there was any bitching about it.

Attachments

• miracle.jpg
    miracle.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 423