Perdue whole chicken - no giblets?

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Bought a 4 pound roaster from Giant and was surprised it was empty inside. NO giblets nor neck. And yes, I searched every crevice. :lol:

After that, I looked at the plastic wrapper and did see in small print on the package that said "parts of giblets may be missing." Is this something new? :eyebrow:

Attachments

• 1609786542127.png
    1609786542127.png
    577.8 KB · Views: 492

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
It's always had that disclaimer. Just checked one in the freezer I had from Sept 2020, and it has the same disclaimer.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Maybe it's a female chicken? Do females have giblets? I don't even know what a giblet is. Are they like bird testicles or something?
All chickens have giblets. They consist of the heart, liver, neck, and gizzard of the chicken.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
It's always had that disclaimer. Just checked one in the freezer I had from Sept 2020, and it has the same disclaimer.
I haven't bought a whole chicken in awhile obviously. :lol:

I get that some of the parts may be missing, and that has happened in the past, but ALL of them? That was a first for me. :sshrug:

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I don't use them, even for soup stock, so I'd be happy not to have them added to the weight of the bird I'm paying for.
agreed. I actually wondered the same thing last week when I too, bought a 5lb roaster and realized the giblets were MIA. I didn't mind, but I did wonder.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I don't use them, even for soup stock, so I'd be happy not to have them added to the weight of the bird I'm paying for.
Agreed, but old habits die hard. If it was food you bought, you used it even if you didn't like it, even the giblets. :lol:

When I had cats, they would get the liver and heart, then the rest would get thrown in a pot with onion and celery trimmings plus herbs to make stock. I now use premade boxed stock or from 'Better Than Bullion' since I mainly buy chicken already parted out nowadays.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Further research says this falls under the USDA's umbrella. Their answer:

How Are Giblets Packaged and Labeled?

In whole ready to cook poultry, giblets are located in a bag in the abdominal cavity. They will not be from the original bird. Giblets may also be purchased separately as livers, hearts, or a combination thereof, and labeled accordingly.

Ready to cook whole poultry is required to be packaged with giblets and will not bear a product name qualifier to announce the presence of the giblets as they are expected. If a bird is labeled "with giblets," it is optional labeling.

Whole poultry will contain at least half of each giblet. Parts of the giblets may have broken off during handling or may be missing due to trimming. Some are packed into the body cavity of the bird by hand and some are packed by machine.

USDA allows poultry processors to use labels stating that giblets may be missing — or, "without giblets" (commonly known as "wogs" in the poultry industry). Giblets may be lost or broken or may have been pulled from the processing line for not meeting inspection standards. Birds packed without giblets are required to bear labeling that states the giblets are missing. Likewise, the phrase "giblets may be missing" is a flag to alert the consumer that giblets may not be present.
:eyebrow:

Clear as mud. Spin the wheel of giblets fortune and you may or may not be a winner (or loser depending on your perspective.) :lol: