Pet Adoption Costs

stgislander

PREMO Member
With the post about the new SMC Animal Shelter...

I've heard that it is pretty expensive to adopt an animal from the shelter. Dogs could run up to $400 once it's all said and done. Any truth to that?

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
The one time I looked into adopting a dog (but it may have been from a rescue), there were all kinds hoops to jump thru. They wanted to inspect my home, wanted me to sign a document that the dog would never go outside without a leash (on a 40 acre farm?!?). And yes, the $$$ was crazy.

I understand not wanting them to go to dog fighting rings. But really, do you want to give a dog a good home or just hoard dogs?

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
There is a 5yr old Great Pyrenees at the shelter in Charles, I would love to give her a home. I have had a Pyrenees, so I'd know what I was getting into. But I'm not even going to look into it. Poor baby, she'd be loved here.

CRHS89

My experience when we decided to get a dog was that rescues had much more stringent rules, with a required home study. We ended up at the shelter in Charles and filled out an application which I am not sure anyone even read. Walked out with a dog in less than 2 hours.

Bare-ya-cuda

$300 we paid to rescue a Great Pyrenees for Appalachian Great Pyrenees rescue over in Virginia. No home inspection and we took her home that day. She still had stitches from being spayed. Did have to fill out an application and they did check my references.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Only took me a few texts over the Internet and drove to Mechanicsville to pick up the German shepherd pup I adopted. Filled out some paperwork and drove home with her.

Grumpy

My experience when we decided to get a dog was that rescues had much more stringent rules, with a required home study. We ended up at the shelter in Charles and filled out an application which I am not sure anyone even read. Walked out with a dog in less than 2 hours.
^that..We've done quite a few 'rescues' over the years and only dealt with one home inspection. We've had quite a few people stand up for us when we have been interested in a rescue where the fees/inspections have been waived(tho we typically donate the fees back to them). I agree that rescues have jumped the shark when it comes to checking out folks and demanding all these rules to live by.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
When we adopted Cooper and Buff from the rescue, all they wanted was our vet's phone number.
As my Mrs. and I had been donating to their effort, adoption fee was waved. I paid it anyway.