#pewpew

glhs837

Power with Control
So, signed up to take the HQL course with Flat Broke Shooters. For a few reasons.

1. Wife mentioned she was thinking we should have a handgun.
  2. All of my training was a long time ago, I think I did a courier qual back around 92, did some shooting with a buddies Glock so long back we did it on the outdoor range on base.
  3. Even though as a veteran, it's not required, more training is almost never bad.
  4. They are less than 4 miles from my house.
  5. Range memberships will be offered to those who have taken course first, and I really want a family membership.

Bobwhite

So, signed up to take the HQL course with Flat Broke Shooters. For a few reasons.

2. All of my training was a long time ago, I think I did a courier qual back around 92, did some shooting with a buddies Glock so long back we did it on the outdoor range on base.
  3. Even though as a veteran, it's not required, more training is almost never bad.
  5. Range memberships will be offered to those who have taken course first, and I really want a family membership.
I took my HQL at Flat Broke as well as some other safety classes. Cindi and Steve are great.

Bonehead

If you know anything about firearms you will be bored spitless....but all that stuff is mandated for the course.

glhs837

Power with Control
If you know anything about firearms you will be bored spitless....but all that stuff is mandated for the course.

And I expect to be. But it is required, and who knows, I might have forgotten something. I bought myself a 10/22 last spring, and have been re-familiarizing myself with the basics.

glhs837

Power with Control
Hmmm, might have to call them. Seems I misunderstood the requirements. I thought I needed the HQL, but not the training. But as a retired veteran, as opposed to a veteran who didnt get to retirement, I need neither the HQL nor the class. Might talk to them about switching it over to another class.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Being a vet, non retired, all you need are finger prints and a DD214 (Honorable Discharge).

glhs837

Power with Control
I was trying to figure out that fingerprint thing. If you need them to get the HQL, but I dont need the HQL, then what would I do with the fingerprints? From what I read, all I really need is my retired ID card. Because I am retired.

Chris0nllyn

I was trying to figure out that fingerprint thing. If you need them to get the HQL, but I dont need the HQL, then what would I do with the fingerprints? From what I read, all I really need is my retired ID card. Because I am retired.

Exceptions to possession of the HQL License
  1. A Licensed Firearms Manufacturer.
  2. Active law enforcement officer or a person retired in good standing from a law enforcement agency of the United States (Federal Law Enforcement), the State, or a local law enforcement agency of the State.
  3. Active or retired member of the United States Armed Forces or National Guard and possesses a valid military identification card.
  4. A person purchasing, renting or receiving an antique, curio or relic as defined in federal law.
  5. Maryland licensed firearms dealers. (Sole Proprietors)

Required to have the HQL, but exempt from the training component
  1. Someone who completed a firearms safety training course approved by the Secretary of the Department of Maryland State Police.
  2. Has completed a course of instruction in the competency and safety of firearms as prescribed under Natural Resources Article, §10-301.1, Annotated Code of Maryland. Application for the Maryland Department of Natural Resources Hunter Safety Course Certificate can be obtained from here and may be used in lieu of Qualified Handgun Instruction.
  3. Is currently a qualified handgun instructor.
  4. Is an honorably discharged member of the armed forces of the United States or National Guard.
  5. Is an employee of an armored car company who has a handgun permit issued by MSP.
  6. Lawfully owns a regulated firearm, you do not have to complete the training to apply for the Handgun Qualification License.
https://mdsp.maryland.gov/organizat...ion/firearms/handgunqualificationlicense.aspx

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

I signed up for that too...for pretty much the same reasons you posted..except they are a bit farther away from me than 4 miles. ;-) I took a CC course with them last year; great folks. Can't wait for the new range to open.

Midnightrider

watch out for the old guys. In my epxerince there is always one who cant keep his finger out of the trigger guard and keeps sweeping everyone.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Hmmm, might have to call them. Seems I misunderstood the requirements. I thought I needed the HQL, but not the training. But as a retired veteran, as opposed to a veteran who didnt get to retirement, I need neither the HQL nor the class. Might talk to them about switching it over to another class.

I need an HQL if I want to purchase any more handguns in MD, but didn't need to take the class because I have others already registered, etc. However, I like training and I wanted to make sure the wife and I were near the front of the line for the memberships. ;-) She's had her HQL (course given by FBS) and has taken some of their "wimmins only" handgun courses too.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I signed up for that too...for pretty much the same reasons you posted..except they are a bit farther away from me than 4 miles. ;-) I took a CC course with them last year; great folks. Can't wait for the new range to open.
Have they broken ground on it yet?

glhs837

Power with Control
Yep, next was going to pouring the concrete roof. Then the interior
stuff.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Got to see the new range building up close yesterday. Well..more correctly, the range "vault" that a building will eventually completely enclose. The construction of the exterior building is going to commence as soon as the vault ceiling is poured. Impressive...the outfitting is going to be state of the art too. Steve described the bullet trap system and how the lead is harvested/recovered. Pretty neat...they are sparing no expense.

glhs837

Power with Control
So, quick review. Great course. Amount of stuff that I already knew less than %20, and even that was spread out. Tons of good info, I had never had that sort of instruction regarding grip and stance, nor one on one instruction in the same with correction offered immediately. Not just explanations of what to do, but along with solid reasons as to why these methods were what they believed were best and examples showing why. I will be taking more classes with them, most likely intermediate pistol and either CCW and/or Home Defense. Evidently you need 16 hours of instruction for a CCW. Also decided that I wont decide on what handgun I want until after the range stands up and I can spend some time with a variety of examples. "Paper" analysis has me leaning towards a Ruger SR1911 LIghtweight Commander. Todays work with the 9mm still has me thinking that a .45 might still be where I'm at.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
"Paper" analysis has me leaning towards a Ruger SR1911 LIghtweight Commander. Todays work with the 9mm still has me thinking that a .45 might still be where I'm at.
Great post. Thank you.

For what it's worth, my preferences (as a result of years of Vulcan Kolinahr-intensive study):

= "Hammer fire" wins out over "striker fire" 100% of the time.

= .45ACP wins out over everything else 95% of the time (remaining 4%: .40S&W; left over 1%: 9mm).

= Ergo, 1911A1 or equivalent.

That is all (as there is no more!).

--- End of line (MCP)