Peyton's Place...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...in history?

Hall of Fame if he retired tomorrow? HOF without a Super Bowl?

I had picked Denver giving 2.5 this week not because I think they're 2.5 better than Indy. I picked Denver thinking Peyton HAD to be hobbled or slowed, at least some, after the Skins abused him last week.

It is a pure football pleasure watching him play.

If they win it all this year, will control freak coaches FINALLY start letting QB's have the game back?

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
Larry Gude said:
...in history?

I had picked Denver giving 2.5 this week not because I think they're 2.5 better than Indy. I picked Denver thinking Peyton HAD to be hobbled or slowed, at least some, after the Skins abused him last week.

If they win it all this year, will control freak coaches FINALLY start letting QB's have the game back?

On Mike and Mike in the morning, they compared him to Dan Marino.. the guy with ALL THE SKILLS, but not the win in the big one. They were saying how they believe he could be another 100% Marino. I think if there D keeps improving, he will get his ring soon. And his drive down feild yesterday was like most of his drives, impressive.

As for control freak coaches.... I dont think there are enough QB's in the league right now, that could control an entire game the way I believe Peyton, Brady, and maybe McNabb and Palmer. Until more QB's are showing this skill, I think the coaches will always have a major role in O calls.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Chicken or...

Softballkid said:
Until more QB's are showing this skill, I think the coaches will always have a major role in O calls.

...egg? Show the skill first or get to play it and see how it goes?

Indy RARELY ever calls a timeout over play calling confusion or, obviously, the play coming in late. How many times have teams lost due to lack of timeouts?

Peyton can put all kinds of pressure on the D and them making substitutions.

A QB calling his own plays can work on the kind of fine tuning Peyton shares with his WR's.

It just seems that the modern game has reached the point where a QB has got all sorts of advantages if he steps up to the line, starts looking around and calls a play.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
Larry Gude said:
...egg? Show the skill first or get to play it and see how it goes?

Indy RARELY ever calls a timeout over play calling confusion or, obviously, the play coming in late. How many times have teams lost due to lack of timeouts?

Peyton can put all kinds of pressure on the D and them making substitutions.

A QB calling his own plays can work on the kind of fine tuning Peyton shares with his WR's.

It just seems that the modern game has reached the point where a QB has got all sorts of advantages if he steps up to the line, starts looking around and calls a play.

Now, another thing, with the earpiece in the helmet, Im sure there are times where coach calls in a play, and every time Peyton speaks, it doesnt mean he is calling an audible, he has admitted to yelling junk out just to try to get the D off the line on run plays and things like that...

And I dont think there is any QB/WR relationship in the NFL right now as tight nit as Indy has.

Now as for the chicken or the egg, I think coaches are so worried about losing their jobs due to bad consecutive bad seasons, they are affriad to let the QB try and run the game

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I hear yah...

Softballkid said:
Now, another thing, with the earpiece in the helmet, Im sure there are times where coach calls in a play, and every time Peyton speaks, it doesnt mean he is calling an audible, he has admitted to yelling junk out just to try to get the D off the line on run plays and things like that...

And I dont think there is any QB/WR relationship in the NFL right now as tight nit as Indy has.

Now as for the chicken or the egg, I think coaches are so worried about losing their jobs due to bad consecutive bad seasons, they are affriad to let the QB try and run the game

...and I agree that Indy is unique. Thing is, coaches lose jobs anyway in a copy cat league, so, my wondering if, imitation being as flatering as it is, does and Indy SB win open that door?

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
Nope

Larry Gude said:
...and I agree that Indy is unique. Thing is, coaches lose jobs anyway in a copy cat league, so, my wondering if, imitation being as flatering as it is, does and Indy SB win open that door?

I don't believe it does... who elkse in the league has a QB as unique as Peyton, someone who knows so much about the position, studies more film than any other QB...things of that nature...

Its part of the reason I dont like him all that much, because of how well he plays....

IN the regular season :lol:

FireBrand

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Agreed ! The most fun you can have on NFL day!!

So very few "super-Qs" around anymore who could stand up to that role.
ie: Montana, Theismann (That AssHat was the last great one for DC), etc....

Manning, Brady...

(McNair still capable, but gettin' old.........Favre gettin' old)...

not too many more around with both enough brains, enough nuts and enough ability to be given that kind of reign.

Some are very very good, but not super.

Last edited:

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
I read an article in Sporting News last year that talked about what they called the "Quarterback Crisis". There are few real QB's in the league and that the league is looking for the next superbowl QB right out of college. Used to be it took 5-10 years to train a QB to start a team and be a franchise player. Now a days teams are throwing away QB's in less than five years.

donbarzini

Larry Gude said:
...in history?

HOF? Not yet...Give him 1 maybe 2 more years performing at this level and it's a definite. And I don't see anything that would prevent him from performing at that level.

As far as play-calling.....It IS a control issue. The coaches "couch" it under the statement: "If I'm gonna be fired, I'm gonna be fired doing it MY way.".
My point is, Hey if you "coach 'em up" properly then they would be calling the plays that you wanted to call in the 1st place. The perfect example of this "syndrome" is Brian Billick. He's the smartest man in the room, just ask him.