Governor Photo Release: Governor Larry Hogan and First Lady Yumi Hogan Host Lunar New Year Celebration, Recognize Asian American Communities

newsBot

Automated News Bot
Staff member
ANNAPOLIS, MD – Governor Larry Hogan and First Lady Yumi Hogan hosted a celebration of the Lunar New Year, one of the most celebrated national holidays in several Asian countries, at Government House on Thursday. This year’s Lunar New Year symbolizes the Year of the Pig and falls on February 5, 2019. The event marked the fifth consecutive Lunar New Year celebration since Governor Hogan took office.

b

“The diversity of our communities brings strength to our state, and we are fortunate to have citizens from all corners of the world, sharing culture, heritage, skills, and knowledge,” said Governor Hogan. “As we celebrate the new lunar year, our administration remains committed to working together with our citizens, including our robust Asian American community, to celebrate our diversity and provide new opportunities for all Marylanders.”

More than 200 guests attended this year’s celebration, including The Honorable Marc Knapper, current Acting Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Japan and Korea and former U.S. Charge d’Affairs to South Korea, Asian foreign dignitaries, Asian state elected officials, and Asian community leaders.

“This year’s Lunar New Year is a year of the golden pig, and I was also born in a year of the pig. As the first Asian First Lady in the history of Maryland, I am pleased to share my heritage with all Marylanders, including Asian Americans,” said First Lady Yumi Hogan. “We were so honored to host a joyous and vibrant celebration at Government House – the people’s house – and welcome our Asian American family, friends, and neighbors to share in this special evening.”

a

In 2006, both the Maryland State Senate and the House of Delegates passed a bill for the governor to annually proclaim a certain day as Asian Lunar New Year Day. The Lunar New Year is an important festival in many Asian traditions and continues to be celebrated by various Asian American communities across Maryland, including Maryland’s Chinese, Korean, and Vietnamese populations.

###

[ This article originally appeared here ]