Photographer Who Refused to Shoot Same-Sex Ceremony

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
No, I'm just asking what sins are okay to ignore and which ones aren't. You know, so that if the thumpers are right I know which ones will damn me to hell and which ones are okay. And honestly, should a devout Christian refuse to do business with all sinners? Or just homosexuals?

There's only a limited number of sins for which a VERY drastic outcome is promised.

MMDad

Lem Putt
There's only a limited number of sins for which a VERY drastic outcome is promised.

I'm pretty familiar with about 10 of them. "Though shall not smoke pole" isn't one of those. Wouldn't the big 10 be the ones we are most concerned about? And the rest are just less severe?

What if the hypothetical baker heard a customer say "god damn! That there is a purdy cake!" Since that is one of the big 10, wouldn't he be required to refuse the customer?

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
I'm pretty familiar with about 10 of them. "Though shall not smoke pole" isn't one of those. Wouldn't the big 10 be the ones we are most concerned about? And the rest are just less severe?

What if the hypothetical baker heard a customer say "god damn! That there is a purdy cake!" Since that is one of the big 10, wouldn't he be required to refuse the customer?

You should probably ditch the abridged edition you've been relying on.

MMDad

Lem Putt
You should probably ditch the abridged edition you've been relying on.

You don't think the Ten Commandments are important? Hmmm.... I thought the burning bush might have been significant. Oh well, I guess it's all okay since Lurk said those are not the sins that matter.

This_person

No, I'm just asking what sins are okay to ignore and which ones aren't. You know, so that if the thumpers are right I know which ones will damn me to hell and which ones are okay. And honestly, should a devout Christian refuse to do business with all sinners? Or just homosexuals?
I missed where anyone flatly refused to do business with homosexuals. What I understood was some businesses rejected supporting specifically a "wedding" ceremony. Did the baker refuse to provide Sunday morning donuts based on sexual orientation? Did the photographer reject a studio shoot?

As for what will damn you to hell, that's between you and your deity.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Turning away any who aren't Christian? Go off the deep end much?

Turn away any who flaunt their sins and expect to be accommodated by someone with morals and beliefs, ####ing aye!

If you are gay and are not a Christian, and I am, how do I justify turning you away for being gay but, if you were straight, serving you? I am supposed to hold you to the beliefs of my faith even if you're not a Christian but, being a non Christian who isn't homosexual is OK?

Isn't someone who refuses to accept Christ, an agnostic, a Muslim, a Jew, 'flaunting' every bit as much, or more, than a homosexual? Or, are they all OK because homosexuality is THE sin?

Last edited:

MMDad

Lem Putt
Yeah... one.

Only one? Are there different levels of hell? One for those really bad people, one for those who only break those pesky ten commandments, and one for people who just aren't quite good enough to get into heaven?

If there's one sin that is worse than all others, shouldn't that be bad enough to have made it into the top ten? Do you really think that homosexuality is a greater sin than blasphemy? Murder?

MMDad

Lem Putt
I missed where anyone flatly refused to do business with homosexuals. What I understood was some businesses rejected supporting specifically a "wedding" ceremony. Did the baker refuse to provide Sunday morning donuts based on sexual orientation? Did the photographer reject a studio shoot?

As for what will damn you to hell, that's between you and your deity.
Wow. Refusing to provide the service that the customer wants, and that you regularly provide, is not refusing to do business to them? That's like saying that if we don't allow someone to sit in the front of the bus but let them sit in back we are not discriminating since we let them have a seat.

Amused_despair

Yeah... one.

MATTHEW 12: 31-32 "Therefore I say to you, any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven men, but blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven. And whoever shall speak a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him; but whoever shall speak against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, either in this age, or in the age to come".

PsyOps

Pixelated
Only one? Are there different levels of hell? One for those really bad people, one for those who only break those pesky ten commandments, and one for people who just aren't quite good enough to get into heaven?

If there's one sin that is worse than all others, shouldn't that be bad enough to have made it into the top ten? Do you really think that homosexuality is a greater sin than blasphemy? Murder?

I’m not aware of different levels of hell. But the only sin – from a Christian standpoint – that will get you in hell is not accepting Christ. Outside of that, according to the bible “all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God”.

I’m not trying to preach here, but if we’re talking about God (the Christian God) and what dictates their faith, you avoid hell by accepting Christ. It doesn’t matter what your sins are, how bad they are or how minimal they are, if you have not accepted Christ you’re going to hell. In fact, it doesn’t matter how many good things you’ve done, if you don’t accept Christ you’re going to hell. Place all the human logic into this that you want, the authority for this is what’s stated in the bible. If you don’t believe in the bible, then you can create whatever rules you want and believe you’re not going to hell.

For us, here on earth, there are some sins that are worse than others. Certainly we view murder as worse than lying. It’s natural because the impact one has on us over the other. But Jesus said if you’ve violating one of God’s commandments you’ve violated them all. From God’s perspective – who is perfect – any and all sin is unclean. Murder is not more dirty than lying. When you lie, God sees that as a sin. When you murder, God sees that as a sin. It’s all sin. And more importantly, because we are all doomed to sin we are, by nature, sinners by birth. So none of us gets out alive unless we accept Christ.

I didn’t make the rules and I don’t expect you or anyone else to accept this.

PsyOps

Pixelated
MATTHEW 12: 31-32 "Therefore I say to you, any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven men, but blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven. And whoever shall speak a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him; but whoever shall speak against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, either in this age, or in the age to come".

Most certainly. But this is in the context of our behavior towards each other; sins against each other. So, if you really wanted to get straight down on this, yes... there are two sins that will put you in hell. But SIN - not any particular sin - is what dooms all of us. The only way to escape that is the salvation God provided us.

Amused_despair

Most certainly. But this is in the context of our behavior towards each other; sins against each other. So, if you really wanted to get straight down on this, yes... there are two sins that will put you in hell. But SIN - not any particular sin - is what dooms all of us. The only way to escape that is the salvation God provided us.

Mark 10:17-31
The Rich Man
17 As Jesus was starting out on his way to Jerusalem, a man came running up to him, knelt down, and asked, “Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?”
18 “Why do you call me good?” Jesus asked. “Only God is truly good. 19 But to answer your question, you know the commandments: ‘You must not murder. You must not commit adultery. You must not steal. You must not testify falsely. You must not cheat anyone. Honor your father and mother.’”
20 “Teacher,” the man replied, “I’ve obeyed all these commandments since I was young.”
21 Looking at the man, Jesus felt genuine love for him. “There is still one thing you haven’t done,” he told him. “Go and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”
22 At this the man’s face fell, and he went away sad, for he had many possessions.
23 Jesus looked around and said to his disciples, “How hard it is for the rich to enter the Kingdom of God!” 24 This amazed them. But Jesus said again, “Dear children, it is very hard to enter the Kingdom of God. 25 In fact, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the Kingdom of God!”
26 The disciples were astounded. “Then who in the world can be saved?” they asked.
27 Jesus looked at them intently and said, “Humanly speaking, it is impossible. But not with God. Everything is possible with God.”
28 Then Peter began to speak up. “We’ve given up everything to follow you,” he said.
29 “Yes,” Jesus replied, “and I assure you that everyone who has given up house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or property, for my sake and for the Good News, 30 will receive now in return a hundred times as many houses, brothers, sisters, mothers, children, and property—along with persecution. And in the world to come that person will have eternal life. 31 But many who are the greatest now will be least important then, and those who seem least important now will be the greatest then.”

PsyOps

Pixelated
Mark 10:17-31
The Rich Man
17 As Jesus was starting out on his way to Jerusalem, a man came running up to him, knelt down, and asked, “Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?”
18 “Why do you call me good?” Jesus asked. “Only God is truly good. 19 But to answer your question, you know the commandments: ‘You must not murder. You must not commit adultery. You must not steal. You must not testify falsely. You must not cheat anyone. Honor your father and mother.’”
20 “Teacher,” the man replied, “I’ve obeyed all these commandments since I was young.”
21 Looking at the man, Jesus felt genuine love for him. “There is still one thing you haven’t done,” he told him. “Go and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”
22 At this the man’s face fell, and he went away sad, for he had many possessions.
23 Jesus looked around and said to his disciples, “How hard it is for the rich to enter the Kingdom of God!” 24 This amazed them. But Jesus said again, “Dear children, it is very hard to enter the Kingdom of God. 25 In fact, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the Kingdom of God!”
26 The disciples were astounded. “Then who in the world can be saved?” they asked.
27 Jesus looked at them intently and said, “Humanly speaking, it is impossible. But not with God. Everything is possible with God.”
28 Then Peter began to speak up. “We’ve given up everything to follow you,” he said.
29 “Yes,” Jesus replied, “and I assure you that everyone who has given up house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or property, for my sake and for the Good News, 30 will receive now in return a hundred times as many houses, brothers, sisters, mothers, children, and property—along with persecution. And in the world to come that person will have eternal life. 31 But many who are the greatest now will be least important then, and those who seem least important now will be the greatest then.”

Okay. And your point?

Amused_despair

Justifying your argument. According to Jesus it is impossible for men to be saved. But anything is possible for God. I have always wondered about the "devout" Christians with their fancy cars and nice houses. How many of us would actually sell everythign we own and give it to the poor and live in poverty, trusting in God to cloth us and provide us, just as Jesus instructed? These people who wear their faith like a badge of honor and ensure everyone knows they are being faithful and when they give alms they do not do it "so that the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing". Have to wonder how many Jesus would look at and say "I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!"